New '09 LT and Pinging - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

New '09 LT and Pinging

Can someone point me to some threads on Fuel and pinging? I know there are probably some out there. The manual calls for 95 octane however I can only find 93 as most of you can. Any additives I can get to help with this or do I just need to try different brands? Pings worse with the wife on the back of course under load. I only have 1200 miles on the bike brand new, so I would like to get this resolved soon. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Re: New '09 LT and Pinging

I would take to the dealer to see if any vacuum lines were not put on correctly at the factory.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You should not have any pinging on 93 gas. You have 1200 miles on her and you need to get the rpms up. Normal cruise on the interstate is the only time you should be in 5th. She performs best between 3,500 and 7,500. First gear is good to 62 mph. Let the girl sing. If you are pouring on the coals from 2,500 rpm you will get some racket, drop her down a few gears and see how that feels.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw617
Can someone point me to some threads on Fuel and pinging? I know there are probably some out there. The manual calls for 95 octane however I can only find 93 as most of you can. Any additives I can get to help with this or do I just need to try different brands? Pings worse with the wife on the back of course under load. I only have 1200 miles on the bike brand new, so I would like to get this resolved soon. Thanks for any help.
We really haven't seen a lot of pinging on LTs. If it really is doing it with premium fuel, there may be a problem that needs the dealer's attention. One thing I have frequently is people coming off other brands that offer much more low end torque and trying to drive the LT the same way. The LT engine likes to live above 3,000 RPM and if you shift early and keep it below that, you will experience some pinging. If you are experiencing the pinging in the 1500-2500RPM range, you might try keeping it in a lower gear a little longer. Not only is the engine happier above 3,000, it only sings above 5,000

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You should not have any pinging on 93 gas. You have 1200 miles on her and you need to get the rpms up. Normal cruise on the interstate is the only time you should be in 5th. She performs best between 3,500 and 7,500. First gear is good to 62 mph. Let the girl sing. If you are pouring on the coals from 2,500 rpm you will get some racket, drop her down a few gears and see how that feels.
This
I usually shift between 5-6K, she really likes it!

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 9:42 pm

09 here as well I've found that you don't want the fuel from the place with two numbers or the daytime night time place keep your Revs up don't drive with two up @ city speeds in 5th it lugs the engine down to much this bike as everyone else has said likes higher rev's. Don't know what bike you just came off of but this beast is a little different and is going to take a little bit of behavior change on your part to keep it happy.

Quote:

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Quote:
It would help if you filled in more on your profile so we know where you are located. Here in the SW we only get 91 to 92 octane. The best way you can learn to ride the lady is set aside some vacation and come on out to the next Red River Rally and bring your seat belt cause you will learn all about her. You will leave never riding in the 3K range again in any gear but usually hovering and cruising at the 4k range. Like Randy said she loves to sing the opera between 6-7K when you are riding the tight corners, sweeping turns and short straitaways around the Red River area. Last year was my first year there and it was like WOW, an Awakening. This year Lonesome Rider came up from TX and his comment was something to the effect " I never get out of second gear around here". You'll hit third gear on some of the straightaways doing 70-80 mph.

Just crank it UP!

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
09 here as well I've found that you don't want the fuel from the place with two numbers or the daytime night time place keep your Revs up don't drive with two up @ city speeds in 5th it lugs the engine down to much this bike as everyone else has said likes higher rev's. Don't know what bike you just came off of but this beast is a little different and is going to take a little bit of behavior change on your part to keep it happy.

Here in Boise, the only station that has the no-ethanol shit is Philips 66.
I've been running it for 2 years, up hills, in heat, you name it. She purrs and I've never had one ping.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Thanks I'll try to keep her wound tight and see if that helps.
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 9:12 pm

I have the same issue on my 2005 LT with 24k miles. It starts to smooth out once I hit 3k RPM's. I often wondered if something was wong.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Wow that sounds like a great time. Sounds like I better get used to running her in the 4k and above range.
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
It would help if you filled in more on your profile so we know where you are located. Here in the SW we only get 91 to 92 octane. The best way you can learn to ride the lady is set aside some vacation and come on out to the next Red River Rally and bring your seat belt cause you will learn all about her. You will leave never riding in the 3K range again in any gear but usually hovering and cruising at the 4k range. Like Randy said she loves to sing the opera between 6-7K when you are riding the tight corners, sweeping turns and short straitaways around the Red River area. Last year was my first year there and it was like WOW, an Awakening. This year Lonesome Rider came up from TX and his comment was something to the effect " I never get out of second gear around here". You'll hit third gear on some of the straightaways doing 70-80 mph.

Just crank it UP!
Wow that sounds like a great time and great learning experience at the Red River Rally. Looks like I need to get used to running her at 4k and above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in