Need some advice about road in Colorado - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

Need some advice about road in Colorado

I know this is not the place for this but I wanted many eyes to see it...

I am staying in Crested Butte, Co in an upcoming trip--I just discovered that CR-12 that runs west of Crested Butte is a 30 mile well maintained gravel road. Anybody have any experience with this road? Would you recommend it for a LT two up?

Thanks in advance--and to the moderator...I'm sorry for this terrible breech in protocol.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Re: Need some advice about road in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss

I am staying in Crested Butte, Co in an upcoming trip--I just discovered that CR-12 that runs west of Crested Butte is a 30 mile well maintained gravel road. Anybody have any experience with this road? Would you recommend it for a LT two up?

Thanks in advance--and to the moderator...I'm sorry for this terrible breech in protocol.
That's Kebler Pass and I've ridden it many times (I lived in CB and Gunnison) and almost died in an avalanche just a few miles up that road in the winter while skiing some deep powder on cross country skis.

During the summer when dry it's pretty straight forward, but there are a lot of sections with fairly deep gravel and washboards along with a few switchbacks, so you won't be setting any speed records. It's not steep at all. Tons of DUST though... cough. But, a beautiful drive and doable on an LT if you keep your speed in check. I would stay off of it if wet or thunderstorms in the area. Go early in the day and you shouldn't have any weather issues. It will take about 1.5 hrs. to get to pavement and then another half hour to either Paonia or the top of McClure pass. At the north end there's a great little guest ranch/pit stop on the Crystal River - very pretty.

Paonia is nothing special, although you MUST ride the Black Canyon if you head that way, or stop in Marble if going toward Aspen. There IS a short cut from Paonia to Crawford that will save you 30 minutes that exits the east side of Paonia.

If you are not comfortable on gravel this would not be a good choice on an LT...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 26th, 2010 at 5:30 pm.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 7:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have to disagree about Paonia, I love Paonia: it's a great little town. No chain stores and none of the over commercialization you find in places like Crested Butte, or Aspen. A really nice hotel (Bross Hotel), great restaurant/bakery (Flying Fork), a couple of galleries, fruit stands, and wineries (Black Bridge, Stone Cottage Cellars, Alfred Eames, and Terror Creek). And a micro-brewery (Revolution Brewing). You can easily spend a day there and around.

And they love Beemers.

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:24 pm

You will love that area.The road over Kebler pass is a well maintained gravel road.Dust is the biggest issue if there is traffic (there is on the weekends).As already recommended,take 92 south over Black Canyon,that takes you back to 50.

Have fun,Robert.

Four wheels move the body,two wheels move the soul.

2004 R1200CL Silver - Torquey
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss

I have toured on motorcycles extensively in Colorado. I am not sure I would mess with gravel roads on an LT when there so many beautiful paved roads in the mountains.
Just my 2 cents..........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:58 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input--I saw some great pictures from a group of six goldwings that did the trip. My plan was to use Crested Butte as a base and ride from there--thanks for the tips! We went through the Black Canyon area last year but we wanted to take our time and really explore that area this year.

Wade

99 K-1200LT

post #7 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:54 pm

I have ridden it a few times on an RT and K1200RS but never the LT. Shouldn't be any significant difference but as it is gravel/dirt it is very weather dependent. I would ask around and get fresh info from a dual sport rider. They should be easy to find in Crested Butte. Keebler Pass is a great ride.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 3:40 pm

A few recommendations since it seems like you're heading North.

1. Stop in Marble at the bottom of McClure pass.

2. Stop in Redstone for lunch outside on the Crystal River, or if the weather is iffy the hotel is very cool. Gas up in Basalt.

3. OR: go to the Woody Creek Tavern outside Aspen. You never know who you'll run into there, a favorite retreat from the Aspen scene for celebs and reasonable prices - for Aspen. Take the back road into town instead of 82.

4. Aspen is just plain too cool for school. Mom will love the shopping. Park just about anywhere you want - even on a corner in a posted no parking zone. Don't even THINK of paying for a parking place, just muscle your way in - the cops won't ticket you as long as you're "reasonable" and not blocking someone. Very bike friendly. Spend a few days at Little Nel. Yeah, it's expensive but hey, its vacation!

5. Leaving Aspen hit the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs for lunch. Ride the slide at the Hot Springs along with several thousand of your friends on a busy day...

6. Vail is - well - like a suburb of Denver - a very expensive suburb. I had a home there for 17 years but sold it since it has become completely Californicated. Lunch outside at the Arrowhead at Vail golf course clubhouse near Edwards is excellent and open to the public although you'll have to go past a guarded gate. No big deal.

7. Up the road a bit is Minturn and Red Cliff which is funky. The road from there to Leadville is stunning, and worth a quick stroll down Main Street. The Golden Burro is great for breakfast/lunch.

8. Don't miss Independence Pass which will take you back into Aspen.

9. Cottonwood Pass is also a shortcut from CB instead of Monarch which is usually in very good condition, mostly hard packed dirt. LT worthy once again as long as it is dry...

10. Watch out for lightening - every couple of years a motorcyclist gets ZAPPED. If you limit your riding to before 2pm most days you won't get wet. Be prepared for COLD weather at altitude, it can snow at any time.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 27th, 2010 at 3:49 pm.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Wow Ron--thanks for the plan!

Wade

99 K-1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in