Is this normal with an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Is this normal with an LT

Is this normal or if not, what could be the problem?? I bought a 2007 K1200LT last month with 3100 miles. Still under factory warranty until 10/10, a couple of months. Heres the concern. When I start the bike after it is sitting for a while, it blows black smoke out the exhaust, sometimes alot, until the bike warms up. When the bike warms up, nothing. The bike seems to run fine. I have put about 1500 miles this month. I also have a K1200Gt and never had any black exhaust. I plan to take the bike in for a 6000 service however just looking to find out if this is somewhat normal for the LT or perhaps what the problem is. Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Re: Is this normal with an LT

Does it do this all of the time or only after being on the side stand? I'm guessing only after being on the side stand for "extended" periods of time, which would make the black smoke "normal" as the oil is pooling in the engine's left side

Jim
IBA 31981

2005 BMW K1200LT
2006 HD FLHRCI
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

It was in my shed for a couple of weeks on the side stand. Hard to put on center stand in the shed, acutually hard to take off center stand in shed. Anything to worry about?? Any harm being done???

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:11 pm

it is normal for LT's to do this after they have been on the side stand .

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

This LT is just as much fun to ride as my GT
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Kinda disturbing isn't it? If it has been parked on the side stand then it is as normal as rain in May. The way to eliminate the smoke screen is to pull into your parking place and turn the bike off while sitting on the bike in an upright position. Take a little time to remove your gloves and your helmet and and then set it on the side stand. No more smoke!

Or you can just keep doing it the way you are currently doing it and explain to anyone who notices that it is a feature of the LT. It's called start up top end lubrication!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedhopper
Is this normal or if not, what could be the problem?? I bought a 2007 K1200LT last month with 3100 miles. Still under factory warranty until 10/10, a couple of months. Heres the concern. When I start the bike after it is sitting for a while, it blows black smoke out the exhaust, sometimes alot, until the bike warms up. When the bike warms up, nothing. The bike seems to run fine. I have put about 1500 miles this month. I also have a K1200Gt and never had any black exhaust. I plan to take the bike in for a 6000 service however just looking to find out if this is somewhat normal for the LT or perhaps what the problem is. Thanks, Kevin

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Mine doesn't do the black smoke unless I open the throttle hard at speed and the computer sets a rich mix to accelerate. I get the Gray/White smoke on startup from oil if its been setting on the side stand. I don't think black would be normal. Black could the the computer setting the wrong mixture due to a bad sensor.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 1:10 am

Mine only does it during mosquito season.
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 1:12 am

+1 to wa1200lt and mwnahas
....or you're running a hardley....or diesel.....double check though....if its an LT, then you'll be ok....perhaps raise the shed's roof or extend the floor plan if it continues to be of concern.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #10 of 19 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 2:39 am

If it's not just the normal sidestand issue, check to see if the previous owner put an aftermarket air filter on the bike. I am reliably informed the change in airflow restriction can mess with the whizbang computerisator settings and cause overfuelling. This is often accompanied by high oil consumption.
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 3:25 am

Rodders, I think I know of the reliable source of your information. From Finland I believe. I have thought a lot about this phenomenon and I can't for the life of me understand how reducing the intake air restriction can cause one of these engines to consume mass quantities of oil.

Unless the restriction is reduced significantly it would seem that the closed loop emissions system would satisfactorily compensate for the difference and enrich the mixture the appropriate amount instead of driving it full rich.

Again, how does a full rich mixture increase oil consumption. Isn't the "limp home" mode full rich should the system encounter a failure? Unless the increased air flow triggered the limp home mode...... But then wouldn't the performance change with the thing running blubbering rich been noticeable?

One last thought. There have been a lot of K&N filters installed in a lot of different applications over the years and you would think that this issue would be better known if it is a problem.

Anybody out there running their LT with a K&N filter with no issues?

ANY ideas?

Still wondering,

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders
If it's not just the normal sidestand issue, check to see if the previous owner put an aftermarket air filter on the bike. I am reliably informed the change in airflow restriction can mess with the whizbang computerisator settings and cause overfuelling. This is often accompanied by high oil consumption.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 8:41 am

Talking Re: Is this normal with an LT

blue smoke?..normal....Black smoke , TELL the mechanic. Something isn't right! A code should show up that needs correcting.

Just my thought on your description of the problem.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Blue smoke is the side stand oil syndrome , black smoke is too much unburned fuel . How is your fuel mileage doing ? when my O2 sensor went flat line , under normal take off to HWY speed she would blow black smoke and the MPG down to 34 , Remove and replace O2 with Bosch Universal4 wire from Auto Zone $50 and now 50 MPG . easy job DIY

Bob G
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:20 am
Gold Supporter

Garage

+1 on the 02 sensor from Autozone. Dealer wanted $230 for an OEM 02. I'm back to mid 40's. Replacement of the sensor is about 1 1/2 hour job. YRMV.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 8:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedhopper
I plan to take the bike in for a 6000 service
Mentioned it then and all should be well.
The mixture of gas and air is adjusted by the computer and all is under warranty.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #16 of 19 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Again, how does a full rich mixture increase oil consumption. Isn't the "limp home" mode full rich should the system encounter a failure?

Loren
The rich mixture puts too much fuel into the cylinders and washes the thin film of oil off the cylinder walls. Everytime the piston moves, the oil rings dose it back up with oil and when the piston moves down the excess fuel washes it off again. Too much fuel does increase oil consumption as well as increasing wear on the cylinder. In fact, if run overly rich for long enough the oil becomes diluted with fuel as well. I'm not talking for short periods of time here but long term. If your bike went into the limp home mode and you got it fixed I don't see where there would be a problem. But if you were running long term with a bad O2 sensor you could possibly (and I mean "possibly") cause damage to your engine. Another concern to me with an overly rich engine would be carbon build up and chunks of that getting stuck under a valve seat and causing trouble there too.

Well that does it. Now I've made myself so paranoid I'm selling the bikes and buying a Hoverround. Might even take it to the Grand Canyon.
post #17 of 19 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:45 am

Limp home mode? an explination please?
post #18 of 19 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 7:57 am

Cool Re: Is this normal with an LT

I have 24000 miles on my LT. The bike has smoked at startup from the very first time I left the dealership. My riding had dropped off considerably in the past year and the bike sits for months at a time in between rides. I rode it to work this morning and it smoked like a chimney for 2 miles! I came to an intersection and closed my helmet shield so no one could see my face. Although visibility was very poor, since I was surrounded by white smoke.

It really is embarrassing. I am afraid that when I leave work today, I will smoke out the entire parking garage and campus.

I do keep the bike on the side stand, because I hurt my back too many times trying to put it on the centerstand. When I do maintenance, I use a small piece of wood and back it up on to the wood before attempting to use the centerstand.

I love my LT, but that smoking "feature" is one that I could do with out.

Vince - 2003 LT.

post #19 of 19 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 8:10 am

Thanks Vince! I was starting to think I was a sissy using the sneaky piece of 1" ply. Saves the old back, that's for sure.

'02 K 1200 LT
'85 K100 RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in