just bob's running light relays? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

just bob's running light relays?

Hello,

Where can I get the relays that are used in just bob's running lights (or are there alternatives)? I believe those are needed to make the saddlebag lights be both running lights and turn signals.

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Garage
Re: just bob's running light relays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve
Hello,

Where can I get the relays that are used in just bob's running lights (or are there alternatives)? I believe those are needed to make the saddlebag lights be both running lights and turn signals.

Thanks,
Steve
I'm sure he will chime in a bit, but I had the same issue (one went out) and before I got ahold of him i took it down to a local electronic shop. not a big box, more of a neighborhood one and they pointed the relay out... I think it was all of about $1.10

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
I'm sure he will chime in a bit, but I had the same issue (one went out) and before I got ahold of him i took it down to a local electronic shop. not a big box, more of a neighborhood one and they pointed the relay out... I think it was all of about $1.10
Ooooohhhhh.....did you, by chance, get (or can you get us) the part number of the relay? Would Radio Shack carry them?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:34 pm

Any Bosch type lighting relay should work just fine. Radio Shack, NAPA, any auto parts store will have the relays. Should cost less than $10 retail so should be able to get for less.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Steve,

Relays are NOT needed to make the saddlebag lights operate as running lights and turn signals. The trick is how you wire it--no special parts needed.

Connect the hot wire from the saddlebag lights to the hot wire on the taillight.

Connect the ground wire from the saddlebag lights to the HOT wire on the turn signal light. Yes, the HOT wire. The saddlebag light will ground through the filament of the turn signal bulb when it's off. When the turn signal is on, it breaks the circuit to the saddlebag light so it blinks alternately with the taillight.

I've been making the saddlebag lights for about 5 years now--since Bob stopped making it. This is how my instructions say to wire it. If you have any questions, let me know.

Unfortunately, making the kits for this is very labor intensive so i've decided to stop producing this kit. If you want to see the instructions, they're online in the Discontinued Products section of my web site. I think Raffy still has a few left if you're interested.

Also, there is a document in the Support section that explains in detail how the saddlebag lights are wired. This may be helpful to you.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger

Last edited by larryschumer; Jul 25th, 2010 at 11:19 pm.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 12:57 am

Thanks for the clairity....my bad....for some reason I was thinking of the turn signals on the back of the bike. I was wondering if there was a way (light or connector) at Radio Shack that makes the turn signals in the back running lights and turn lights (lower brightness to higher brightness).

Thanks!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #7 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 6:22 am Thread Starter

Larry,

Thanks for the info ... much easier!

Steve
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 9:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

www.run-n-lites.com has the simplest solution to converting your turn signals (front or rear) to running lights. Inexpensive and easy to install.

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in