Finally finished my cooling vest....... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Finally finished my cooling vest.......

Looks like a bunch of sausages sewn into a vest!

About a year ago I got this wild hair to have a cooling vest. Figured evaporative cooling would be the least expensive and would be effective in the dry western climate.

Found instructions on the web, bought the stuff, and read and read and re-read the damned instructions. Pretty sure the instructions to replace the clutch on an LT would be easier to visualize. Finally gave up on the instructions and just sewed it up. Finished it today and took it out for a spin with ambient air temp at 87*F.

Materials required

Unbleached muslin
Hydrophyllic beads (used to mix with potting soil to retain moisture, bought at Lowes)
Some flat ribbony sort of stuff to sew to the edges and around the neck hole.

I have less than $15 in the materials and could sew up another in about an hour and a half if I had help stuffing the pockets.

Anybody interested in a picture and a few lines of instructions?

BTW, I was disappointed that the temp wasn't 100*F to really test it. Rode for 2 hrs and skin was very cool and comfortable. This may be the solution for warm weather riding for me.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 3:24 am

Re: Finally finished my cooling vest.......

it's not something we need over this side of the pond, but would love to see it.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 5:21 am

Yes, I'd like to see pics and a description. How about a link to where you got the ideas?

We're headed for PHX Arizona and a bike rental in August.
Your cooling vest sounds like just the ticket for us.

Thanks

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 7:16 am

Smile Re: Finally finished my cooling vest.......

sounds like a great idea, I have one that I ride with almost every day, but it only lasts about 35 minutes before another stop to soak is needed. have you figured out how long yours lasts in midday riding yet?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 8:24 am

Sounds great!!!
Let's see it puleeze!!

BC
MOA 144103

1971 Yahama 250 (Yep that's an old two cycle street bike)
1972 Yamaha 350 (also a 2 cycle street)

1973 Yamaha 750
1983 Honda Shadow 500
2005 BMW 1200LT

post #6 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 8:34 am

Pics would be great, also a little more information as to how it works. Is this something that you soak or is it a wicking/insulating device?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 1:28 pm

I bought a Veskimo last year and it has been the greatest farkle I've ever purchased. It works great whether humid or arid and keeps me cool for just over two hours on block ice and about an hour and half with cubed ice.. Runs off the ship's power and you can get it with either a camel back, 4 or 9 quart cooler. People sure look at you funny when you pull up to a stop and sit there with your riding suit all zipped up and all the vents closed. Outside looking in they must think your crazy. Inside looking out, I'm as cool and comfortable as they are inside their air conditioned cages.

But I do admire your pioneering spirit
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
I bought a Veskimo last year and it has been the greatest farkle I've ever purchased. It works great whether humid or arid and keeps me cool for just over two hours on block ice and about an hour and half with cubed ice.. Runs off the ship's power and you can get it with either a camel back, 4 or 9 quart cooler. People sure look at you funny when you pull up to a stop and sit there with your riding suit all zipped up and all the vents closed. Outside looking in they must think your crazy. Inside looking out, I'm as cool and comfortable as they are inside their air conditioned cages.

Hey, Greg - what model Veskimo didja pony up for? I'm still looking at both the Cool Shirt outfit or the Veskimo system. Friend of mine has the Cool Shirt system - he with his, and his wife on the pillion with hers - and sez they're good to go for several hours. I did a static try-on with his and could tell that I'll be an owner of one system or the other as soon as my stimulus funds are found!!

I'm thinking I would like the vest type, rather than the pullover tee that my friend has. Hate to mess up the coif, don'tcha know!! Guess the 9 qt unit would work in ole Toad's trunk - is that the size you opted for? And maybe the backpack to wear at the flea markets or garage sales??

Anyway, Greg - just wonderin' what model you got, since I know you're well pleased with it - expecially in the heat wave y'all are experiencing these days. TIA.
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I'll be an owner of one system or the other as soon as my stimulus funds are found!!
Haha! That's funny! Good luck with that....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

IF I lived in a part of the country where the heat was regularly a problem I would have one of these vests too. The majority of the houses where I live do not have central AC because it just isn't needed. My ass! The truth is that we generally have very few days when the temp is a problem. Usually fewer than 10 to 15 days a year. The humidity is also blessedly light except of course when it is raining which is the other 350 to 355 days a year!

I have everything I need to make a product similar to the Veskimo but still looking for inexpensive quick disconnects that won't leak when you disconnect them. Plastic preferred. Any ideas? My hose diameter is 1/4".

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #11 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Instructions for building are posted under Evaporative cooling vest instruction

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #12 of 17 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Greg - what model Veskimo didja pony up for? I'm still looking at both the Cool Shirt outfit or the Veskimo system. Friend of mine has the Cool Shirt system - he with his, and his wife on the pillion with hers - and sez they're good to go for several hours. I did a static try-on with his and could tell that I'll be an owner of one system or the other as soon as my stimulus funds are found!!

I'm thinking I would like the vest type, rather than the pullover tee that my friend has. Hate to mess up the coif, don'tcha know!! Guess the 9 qt unit would work in ole Toad's trunk - is that the size you opted for? And maybe the backpack to wear at the flea markets or garage sales??

Anyway, Greg - just wonderin' what model you got, since I know you're well pleased with it - expecially in the heat wave y'all are experiencing these days. TIA.
//Sorry for the temporary hijack folks//
Dick, I opted for the 4.4 quart cooler with the vest. It straps nicely on the back seat with a bungee net if you're solo. If you have Honey Bunny with you, you'd have to bungee it to the top case rack I guess. I thought of mounting it in the top case itself, but the hoses would require me to drill a large hole in the side so they can pass through. I don't like drilling holes in my Tupperware...it's just a character flaw of mine.

The hoses that came with my Veskimo were too long and kept getting in my way. I called Kurt at Veskimo and he cheerfully made me some shorter hoses to my specification without additional charge. He's really a great guy to work with and very eager to keep his customers happy. I believe he's also working on a duty cycle timer so that the pump doesn't run continuously on those "warm" days when we don't need it on all the time. Look up his number on their website and give him a call. You won't be disappointed.

Again, I must add that I get no compensation or remuneration from endorsing this product. I remain a happy and satisfied customer just trying to spread the wealth.

//End of hijack. Thank you all for your patience.//
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:21 am

Question Re: Finally finished my cooling vest...where's it at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Instructions for building are posted under Evaporative cooling vest instruction

Loren
Loren, whatever became of your project? Were you able to fabricate something similar to the veskimo?

I'm interested, especially considering the costs of the veskimo.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #14 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 4:46 pm

I don't live where it's 100+ degrees any more (i.e. Australia) but when it gets hot up here I use a Frog Toggs Chilly Pad. It's essentially a scarf that you soak in water, drape it around your neck and over your chest, then put on the protective gear. For $15 it works great! It was 115 in the sun two days ago here, and I rode with the chilly pad, and I was very comfortable indeed. If I lived where it was over 80 every day, I'd be looking at the vests etc. but for here the Chilly Pad works fine!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Last edited by rowie; Jun 23rd, 2012 at 8:36 pm.
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Jeff, it surprised me to see this post resurrected. I have a good supply (20?) of the heat exchange pads, I have figured out that the quick disconnects between the pump and the pads are available from the pc/ server world. Water cooled cpu's have tubing of appropriate size. The pumps are easy. Duty cycle would be my only worry here.

In short, no. I haven't built one yet but have completed enough research that if it should ever get hot here I could put one together fairly quickly. We have been unseasonably cool here this summer and I don't think we have had more than 3 days in the 80's. Plenty of rain but no heat. I like it this way.........

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #16 of 17 Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Jeff, it surprised me to see this post resurrected. I have a good supply (20?) of the heat exchange pads, I have figured out that the quick disconnects between the pump and the pads are available from the pc/ server world. Water cooled cpu's have tubing of appropriate size. The pumps are easy. Duty cycle would be my only worry here.

In short, no. I haven't built one yet but have completed enough research that if it should ever get hot here I could put one together fairly quickly. We have been unseasonably cool here this summer and I don't think we have had more than 3 days in the 80's. Plnenty of rain but no heat. I like it this way.........

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #17 of 17 Old Jun 24th, 2012, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

In short, no. I haven't built one yet but have completed enough research that if it should ever get hot here I could put one together fairly quickly. We have been unseasonably cool here this summer and I don't think we have had more than 3 days in the 80's. Plnenty of rain but no heat. I like it this way.........

Loren
Yes, I have a tendency to revive old threads. This one isn't even all that old.
I did read your other thread where you had included the instructions for you cooling vest.
It's a neat idea, but I'm afraid it would dry out too quickly here in the Texas summers. We used those headbands/neckbands w/ the same technology, and they didn't last near as long as the company claimed. I've used them in the midwest and Iraq, and they're only so-so.

Are you saying you made 20 of these vests as shown in your other thread? Are you looking to sell any of them? I might be interested.

I am really interested in you other idea- something similar to the veskimos. I visited that website, and that guy is proud of his stuff. Does't even off free shipping, which most retailers offer for just their jackets. Anyway, the vest looks to be the most complicated. that pump and associated plumbing is just too easy. Thanks for the tip regarding the quick disconnects. I hadn't thought of the PC world, and I'd imagine they're trying to ensure the fittings don't leak when disconnected.

You seem to have a nice problem concerning your mild summer temps., but I don't think I'd get much riding in w/ all the rain you've alluded to. I guess I'm more of a fair weather rider.

Please keep us informed of your projects.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in