Hot Legs... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hot Legs...

We are on our first long trip (Michigan to Montana) and my SO is experiancing a ton of heat on her lower legs.

I have tried to adjust the little fairings, but so far no luck.

Anyone out there had this problem? Got any ideas to fix it?

We hav ea long way to go and it isn't going to get any cooler.

Thanks,

H. Keith Murray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure - White (Thumper)
SOLD - 2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue (RockeT)
SOLD - 2007 Honda GL1800 ABS/Nav - Platinum (RV)
SOLD - 2014 Yamaha FZ09 - Volunteer Orange (Vol)
SOLD - 2002 K1200LT - Pacific Blue (Slick)
SOLD - 2005 HD Road King Classic - Chopper Blue & Sunglo Blue (Boss)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki Concours - Sonic Blue (Conc)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki ZXR1200R - Team Green (Zip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:24 am

Re: Hot Legs...

No! But if it is buttocks and thigh heat then check the seat heater!!! Had this hapen on a 100* plus day! ONCE!

When we ride with the sidecar attached the radiator heat comes out of the air chutes on the side and bounces back into us on the right hand side. Pretty warm.

Left side only might be exhaust heat?

You might want to consider a pair of cooling vests that you dip in water and let the evaporating water cool your body temp. Won't help with the legs but will improve overall comfort.

Good luck! I am an ardent hater of heat so I understand.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 49 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 3:35 pm

Don't wear shorts. We wear our gear even in 100 degree plus.
Seriously cover up, even the Arabs do that in the desert. It keeps the hot wind off the skin.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 49 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
No! But if it is buttocks and thigh heat then check the seat heater!!! Had this hapen on a 100* plus day! ONCE!
One of my co-workers just bought an LT and picked it up Wednesday afternoon (7/21). As he was on his 40+ mile ride home from the dealership he noticed the bike ran "Real Hot". Yep ..... seat heater was on and it was a 90 degree day.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #5 of 49 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 7:06 pm

Have her shed the woolen underwear and wrap her legs around your neck. Wait. Did I say that out loud?
post #6 of 49 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 10:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkeithmurray
We are on our first long trip (Michigan to Montana) and my SO is experiancing a ton of heat on her lower legs.

I have tried to adjust the little fairings, but so far no luck.

Anyone out there had this problem? Got any ideas to fix it?

We hav ea long way to go and it isn't going to get any cooler.

Thanks,
As others have said, check the seat heater. My LT runs very cool for both me and my wife. This is the first time I have heard of a passenger heat issue with an LT so something is unusual about your bike.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 49 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 1:21 pm

You're not throwing your legs out on the tip over bars or J-pegs are you? That will throw hot air off the radiator on her.
post #8 of 49 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 1:26 pm

I tell my wife she has hot legs all the time!!!

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #9 of 49 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 5:28 pm

When my wife tells me she's hot, I just say " Yes you are" and we move on....

Seriously, This should not be an issue with the LT. Turn off the seat heater..I believe the center position is off..

You do need to be wearing pants, Hopefully mesh in the summer heat...

In the summer I always turned the winglets flat against the bike for the most air..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #10 of 49 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 10:16 pm

My SO complains about the heat if I have the winglets turned all the way in. So I get more air but then I start getting heat from the back seat. I leave them turned out unless I have my feet on the J-pegs. She has no heat problem if my feet are up.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #11 of 49 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 8:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
My SO complains about the heat if I have the winglets turned all the way in. So I get more air but then I start getting heat from the back seat. I leave them turned out unless I have my feet on the J-pegs. She has no heat problem if my feet are up.
That is interesting. I have never experimented with the wings in warm weather. I always leave them "closed" (parallel to the bike) when temps are above about 60. I would have thought having them open" (perpendicular to the bike) would have out more heat on the passenger, but maybe not. Interesting.

I don't use Jpegs or anything other than the stock pegs. I can ride all day on the stock pegs. With the wings closed and my feet on the stock pegs, my wife has never complained about heat on her legs. The only time she complained about heat was two weeks ago we road across Mass on route 2. The temps ranged drom 97 to 99 on the temp display WHILE MOVING! We were all pretty hot and the temp would go up to 104 when stopped at lights. However, even with our FF helmets and BMW armored COmmuter 3 jackets, we were, I think, still much more comfortable than our friends riding their air cooled (and even water cooled) cruisers. That must have been just nasty at lights on those Harleys.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 49 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 1:24 pm

Garage

We (wife and me) just returned from a 1000km round trip over the weekend, where we rode in 98 to 100F in the afternoon (while moving at highway speed...!)

She didn't complain of the heat, but as other mentioned, too, we always wear full gear. I tried only once to ride without a full gear and felt much warmer. Also, the winglets offer more comfort when they're open (blocking the airflow) because you don't want to get that 100F hairdryer flow against your body :-(

I noticed the heat from the radiator, but you only feel it if you stick your body out against it (hand or leg). It doesn't seem to be related to the winglets' position as they are in a higher position.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #13 of 49 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
We (wife and me) just returned from a 1000km round trip over the weekend, where we rode in 98 to 100F in the afternoon (while moving at highway speed...!)

She didn't complain of the heat, but as other mentioned, too, we always wear full gear. I tried only once to ride without a full gear and felt much warmer. Also, the winglets offer more comfort when they're open (blocking the airflow) because you don't want to get that 100F hairdryer flow against your body :-(

I noticed the heat from the radiator, but you only feel it if you stick your body out against it (hand or leg). It doesn't seem to be related to the winglets' position as they are in a higher position.
Well, I actually DO want the 100 degree moving air. That is only 1.4 degrees or so above body temp and with the heat lost through evaporation, the extra evaporative cooling caused by the moving air (even at 100F) more than offsets the fact that the air is warmer than your body. This assumes well vented gear (the BMW Commuter 3 jackets have decent ventilation) and good hydration. Given that, yes, I will take the breeze even at 100. I would much prefer 75 though...

Now, if you are wearing gear that doesn't allow much evaporation, I agree that a 100F breeze would not be a good thing.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 49 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
.... The only time she complained about heat was two weeks ago we road across Mass on route 2. The temps ranged drom 97 to 99 on the temp display WHILE MOVING!
Was that the monday after the 4th of July? We were visiting friends in Canton PA and rode Rt. 2 that day on our way home. We had our mesh gear on with under-armor underneath. We stopped about every hour and poured water on the under-armor, that kept us fairly comfortable.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #15 of 49 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolbaugh
Was that the monday after the 4th of July? We were visiting friends in Canton PA and rode Rt. 2 that day on our way home. We had our mesh gear on with under-armor underneath. We stopped about every hour and poured water on the under-armor, that kept us fairly comfortable.
Yes, it was WEdnesday, July 7th. We left that morning from Horseheads headed to Bar Harbor. Canton, PA, huh? My daughter lives near there and I live only about 30 miles from there. Small world.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 49 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:32 am Thread Starter

Garage

Ok, just to clarify...

The seat was off.
The wings were adjusted every way imaginable - no improvement.
Tried adjusting the windscreen every way also - no improvement.
We both had full gear on.
The temps ranged from 84 - 97 (across the badlands).

When we ride the bike, the hot air comes out of the vents and seems like we have a bubble of hot air around us that will not clear out?

So today it was 96 in Deadwood and the "Appalachian Engineer" in me came out and thought I have to do something about this so...

I cut out cardboard extensions and duct taped them to the cooling outlets, to extend the surface area of the fairing. This showed an immediate improvement, but not perfect. Tomorrow I plan to modify the wings a little more and hope this helps more.

We leave for Laramie, WY tomorrow and then on to Tulsa, OK (where it is really hot!) I will keep you posted on the results.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #17 of 49 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 8:27 am

The wife and I just got back from a 10,000 km trip across Canada and back through the US. We experienced some heat, mostly when we were stuck at road construction and such. If you can stay moving at 75+ mph you should have little problem:-)

Enjoy your trip....We did.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #18 of 49 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
The wife and I just got back from a 10,000 km trip across Canada and back through the US. We experienced some heat, mostly when we were stuck at road construction and such. If you can stay moving at 75+ mph you should have little problem:-)

Enjoy your trip....We did.
How do you see anything at 75 mph?

We like to take the backroads and see the country on vacations... I see enough Interstate traffic going back and forth to work everyday.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #19 of 49 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 6:48 pm

Quote:

We like to take the backroads and see the country on vacations...
I see enough Interstate traffic going back and forth to work everyday.
Thank you Keith,
my sentiments exactly.

I know some of y'all don't have a choice but as for myself,
I learned a long time ago that here's a time and place for everything,
but depending upon the place,
summer is not necessarily the right time.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #20 of 49 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Quote:

We like to take the backroads and see the country on vacations... I see enough Interstate traffic going back and forth to work everyday.

We had 3 weeks. Spent 7 days and nights in Vancouver. I was surprized at how much you see at that speed. Every time we stopped people would come up talk to us and tell us about places around that we did get to visit when we had time. The LT is a magnet where ever you stop. Hard to believe that it has been around for 11 years and still draws that attention. I love this bike and from what I read the 1600 GTL does not look like the replacement we were hoping for.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #21 of 49 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ok, just to clarify...

The seat was off.
The wings were adjusted every way imaginable - no improvement.
Tried adjusting the windscreen every way also - no improvement.
We both had full gear on.
The temps ranged from 84 - 97 (across the badlands).

When we ride the bike, the hot air comes out of the vents and seems like we have a bubble of hot air around us that will not clear out?

So today it was 96 in Deadwood and the "Appalachian Engineer" in me came out and thought I have to do something about this so...

I cut out cardboard extensions and duct taped them to the cooling outlets, to extend the surface area of the fairing. This showed an immediate improvement, but not perfect. Tomorrow I plan to modify the wings a little more and hope this helps more.

We leave for Laramie, WY tomorrow and then on to Tulsa, OK (where it is really hot!) I will keep you posted on the results.
That is a strange one. I don't know if my 2007 is significantly different than your bike (2002 as I recall from your sig), but my wife and I have never had a problem like you have and we just got back from a very hot ride (97 to 104) through route 2 in Mass where we seldom got above 55 MPH.

I am actually very impressed with how well the LT manages heat even compared to my Voyager XII which itself was pretty good. Are you sure you didn't hop on your Concours by mistake? :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #22 of 49 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Ok, just to clarify...

I will keep you posted on the results.
Gawd!!! I hope no Harley rider came by & took a picture of that!!!

Just kidding. You do what you have to do when you gotta do it.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #23 of 49 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 2:45 pm

My wife and I have ridden mega miles on the LT in all kinds of weather and never experienced this.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #24 of 49 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 1:31 am Thread Starter

Garage
Cool Re: Hot Legs...

Ok - I guess I have the only Lt in the states with this problem. I used to ride a Harley and never had this much heat around me.

When I lined the entire radiator opening with cardboard and extended the the fairing out about 3-4 inches the heat was better. I still have a considerable amount of heat exiting around my feet, so I taped off the lower fairing openings and the heat went away (finally), unfortunately the engine began to run hotter, so I removed the tape.

I plan to try and deflect the heat from the bottom openings with, you guessed it more cardboard and duct tape. We are leaving Laramie on Tuesday and headed to Tulsa.

Will keep the forum updated, just in case there is ever another LT with this issue.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #25 of 49 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:26 am

Quote:
Ok - I guess I have the only Lt in the states with this problem. I used to ride a Harley and never had this much heat around me.

When I lined the entire radiator opening with cardboard and extended the the fairing out about 3-4 inches the heat was better. I still have a considerable amount of heat exiting around my feet, so I taped off the lower fairing openings and the heat went away (finally), unfortunately the engine began to run hotter, so I removed the tape.

I plan to try and deflect the heat from the bottom openings with, you guessed it more cardboard and duct tape. We are leaving Laramie on Tuesday and headed to Tulsa.

Will keep the forum updated, just in case there is ever another LT with this issue.
HOLD ON, I also have a Harley and it is twice as hot as the LT. What is the outside & coolant temp read? I think you may be just lucky and traveling during an unprecedented heat wave that we missed by one week returning from the U.P.
Keep us posted.

BTW I just got a pair of BMW light colored summer pants and it is much cooler than the dark colored pants. What brand of gear do you wear?

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #26 of 49 Old Aug 1st, 2010, 2:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Given that you appear somewhat unique in this heat management area, it suggests at least two things you may wish to do:

1. See if you can swap LTs with another owner and see if you each feel that your LT is much worse than the other. This helps confirm if the problem is unique to your bike or that you and your wife just perceive the heat differently than do others.

2. Strip off the tupperware and see if something is wrong such as the fan ducts being either missing or installed incorrectly, etc.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 49 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well, I am in Tulsa, OK and the temp is averaging between 98 - 107 degrees. I have added fairing extenders to the radiator openings and the lower engine vents and the thing is still an oven.

However, I did run into another LT rider and he has the same issues. He told me, without prompting, that the LT is known for this issue. I put 50k miles on my 05 Road King in much of the same weather and never had this much heat.

I guess the bike has such great aerodynamics that the rider and passenger are really out of the wind, however, the heat cannot broach the air flowing around the fairing, so it just steams the riders out. I am really surprised that no one else on here ever experianced this kind of heat. I really wish there was a solution, because I love riding this bike.

Other than the heat issue, this is a great touring bike. Maybe it will stay around the house for those scenic fall and spring rides. But no more southern summer tours for this gal. Anything north of 85 degrees is too uncomfortable to enjoy.

Regards,

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #28 of 49 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 8:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, I am in Tulsa, OK and the temp is averaging between 98 - 107 degrees. I have added fairing extenders to the radiator openings and the lower engine vents and the thing is still an oven.

However, I did run into another LT rider and he has the same issues. He told me, without prompting, that the LT is known for this issue. I put 50k miles on my 05 Road King in much of the same weather and never had this much heat.

I guess the bike has such great aerodynamics that the rider and passenger are really out of the wind, however, the heat cannot broach the air flowing around the fairing, so it just steams the riders out. I am really surprised that no one else on here ever experianced this kind of heat. I really wish there was a solution, because I love riding this bike.

Other than the heat issue, this is a great touring bike. Maybe it will stay around the house for those scenic fall and spring rides. But no more southern summer tours for this gal. Anything north of 85 degrees is too uncomfortable to enjoy.

Regards,
I find it hard to believe that the LT is known for this as I don't think I have ever seen it mentioned here before you mentioned it. I've seen lots of issues with the LT such as low speed handling, FD failures, slave cylinder failures, seal failures, charcoal canister failures, rear latches breaking, etc., but heat management has never been called out. Similarly, I've read many bike mag tests of various LTs over the years and have never seen heat mentioned as an issue.

I'm not doubting you have a problem, but am perplexed as to the cause as I recently rode in temps very much like what you are in and neither me nor my wife any any heat issues from the bike itself. We were hotter than hades, but when it is 99 - 104 out you are going to be hot no matter what!

Does your temp gauge indicate normal temps? Mine runs right at the little bar in the middle of the range normally, but when riding across Mass the week after July 4th, I was running an 1/8" or more above the normal range when moving, and when at a light it would run up enough to kick the fans on before most of the stop lights would change. Even with the fans running I only felt heat when the cross wind was just right and blew the hot air onto me.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 49 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:21 am

Wink Re: Hot Legs...

I have never heard anyone prior to your post complain about heat on the LT! Now riding in 100' Wx is plain unpleasant on any Bike, but if anything, the LT actually protects you from some of the blast furness heat. I would love to be able to swap rides with you to see if it is the Bike or your sensitivity to the heat. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate the heat when it gets up into the 90's or higher. That's why we love the Pac Nor Wet climate most of the year! But the LT has actually kept the heat off us with the fairing that she has.

Good Luck in finding your problem. Maybe the faired machine is just not your type of ride?

John
Quote:

Regards,

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #30 of 49 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 8:12 am

What experiences do our friends in south Texas and Arizona have to share about this topic?

So far, my wife has not mentioned any discomfort from riding in the heat.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #31 of 49 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 9:05 am

Yes, there is occassional heat when it's hot out. I don't believe your problem is unique to you or your bike. LaNett is a good sport and usually doesn't say anything, but she did mention, in passing, that it felt really hot on our last trip to WNC, GA, SC (90-100+ degrees).

Question: Do you ride with the windscreen up? I do for LaNett, otherwise she get's buffeting that she doesn't like. That will help create, as you say, a pocket of air.

Oh yeah, the other thing that was unique in our situation where LaNett spoke up about the heat: we had on full gear (mesh) but were wearing shorts underneath the gear.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #32 of 49 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
What experiences do our friends in south Texas and Arizona have to share about this topic?

When it's hot out, it's hot out. I don't have any real heat issue from the motor if I am on the highway at speed but in town or traffic, the fans are running and it makes a nice flow or really hot air. Once the temp gauge drops back to where it should be, it's good to go.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #33 of 49 Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well we made it home last night. We racked a total of 7232 miles on this summer's vacation out west.

I really never handled the heat issue, I guess it is just inherent to this bike. I spoke with some other LT owners on the road and they all experienced the same thing as we did, so I guess I don't have the only LT with heat issues.

I guess you can put up with anything if you really like the other aspects of the bike.

So after my 7232 miles here are the things I like and dislike (for what it is worth):

Pros:
1) Love the highway power. Pulled a little HF Tag-a-long trailer and never had an issues with passing or pulling.
2) Love the ride and handling. Used a Corbin seat and rode 828 miles one day with no real problems.
3) Wife loves the backseat room. My wife liked that she had all kinds of room in the back seat.
4) LOVE the reverse. This is a big bike and the reverse was a great help backing up little inclines with the trailer.
5) Love the heated seats. My wife liked using the heated seat at night when the temp dropped into the 70s and then in the mountains when the temp was in the 50s.
6) Love the electric windscreen. It was great to move the shield up and down for the in town exchanges and the late night "bug patrol".
7) Love the fuel capacity and mileage. I liked not worrying about the fuel tank all the time, like my five gallon Road King. BTW I did have one tank with 50.2 MPG - never believed the forum entries until now.

Cons:
1) Could use more torque. The up hill pull outs were a little dance of throttle and clutch.
2) Don't like the heat issues (already discussed this one).
3) Don't like the tall seat height. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. The bike with the Corbin seat made me tip toe and this gal is too big to dance on your toes all day.

Well these are my thoughts.
Thanks for all of the input on the heat issues.

Hot Legs - out.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #34 of 49 Old Aug 13th, 2010, 1:58 am

Glad you're home safe Keith. I have to tell you when I saw you had updated this post I was hoping to read something like "15 minutes after my last post I found a dead cat (or something) under the fairing. Removed the carcass and all was well". As mentioned earlier the only time we feel heat off the machine is when the fans are running and the sidecar is attached. It feels like a 500^ F hurricane blowing on you.

I do run with the windshield low enough that I can see over it. There is enough breeze to fluff the sleeves on my mesh jacket and my cooling vest is effective.

As someone mentioned maybe the best thing to do would be to swap bikes with someone who isn't experiencing the problem.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #35 of 49 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Thumbs up Hot Legs...

glad all OK and you had a nice trip and arrived safe!

regarding you input;
Cons:
1) Could use more torque. (in first gear) The up hill pull outs were a little dance of throttle and clutch. I Agree 100% but got used to it...
2) Don't like the heat issues (already discussed this one). get some ldcomfort undies check them out!
3) Don't like the tall seat height. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. The bike with the Corbin seat made me tip toe and this gal is too big to dance on your toes all day. Have you lowered the rear shock adjuster to the lowest setting?

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #36 of 49 Old Aug 14th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well we made it home last night. We racked a total of 7232 miles on this summer's vacation out west.

I really never handled the heat issue, I guess it is just inherent to this bike. I spoke with some other LT owners on the road and they all experienced the same thing as we did, so I guess I don't have the only LT with heat issues.

I guess you can put up with anything if you really like the other aspects of the bike.

So after my 7232 miles here are the things I like and dislike (for what it is worth):

Pros:
1) Love the highway power. Pulled a little HF Tag-a-long trailer and never had an issues with passing or pulling.
2) Love the ride and handling. Used a Corbin seat and rode 828 miles one day with no real problems.
3) Wife loves the backseat room. My wife liked that she had all kinds of room in the back seat.
4) LOVE the reverse. This is a big bike and the reverse was a great help backing up little inclines with the trailer.
5) Love the heated seats. My wife liked using the heated seat at night when the temp dropped into the 70s and then in the mountains when the temp was in the 50s.
6) Love the electric windscreen. It was great to move the shield up and down for the in town exchanges and the late night "bug patrol".
7) Love the fuel capacity and mileage. I liked not worrying about the fuel tank all the time, like my five gallon Road King. BTW I did have one tank with 50.2 MPG - never believed the forum entries until now.

Cons:
1) Could use more torque. The up hill pull outs were a little dance of throttle and clutch.
2) Don't like the heat issues (already discussed this one).
3) Don't like the tall seat height. I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. The bike with the Corbin seat made me tip toe and this gal is too big to dance on your toes all day.

Well these are my thoughts.
Thanks for all of the input on the heat issues.

Hot Legs - out.
I'm with you on the pros and most of the cons. I don't have a heat issue so I'm still at a loss on htat one. I still wonder if you don't have the fan ducts installed incorrectly, or something like that.

I think the issue starting out is more a gearing or rotating inertia ("flywheel" effect) than a torque issue per se. I believe 1st gear is just way too tall for a heavy touring bike. I rode my Voyager XII up Pike's Peak and had little trouble staying behind even one really slow car driving by an older couple who were getting spooked near the top. The LT is hard to ride up my driveway at even 10 MPH (almost down to idle RPM at that speed) and my driveway is uphill, but not exceptionally steep. A touring bike simply doesn't need to be able to go 60 MPH in first gear, but it would really be nice to be able to start out on an uphill slope without burning the clutch out at 3,000 RPM.

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and love the height of the stock seat when in the low position. But this is a very personal thing and we all have different perspective on seat height.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #37 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2010, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Do you have an instruction manual for the fan ducts? Something has to be wrong if no one else has ever had this heat issue.

Thanks,

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #38 of 49 Old Aug 18th, 2010, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
I'm with you on the pros and most of the cons. I don't have a heat issue so I'm still at a loss on htat one. I still wonder if you don't have the fan ducts installed incorrectly, or something like that.

I think the issue starting out is more a gearing or rotating inertia ("flywheel" effect) than a torque issue per se. I believe 1st gear is just way too tall for a heavy touring bike. I rode my Voyager XII up Pike's Peak and had little trouble staying behind even one really slow car driving by an older couple who were getting spooked near the top. The LT is hard to ride up my driveway at even 10 MPH (almost down to idle RPM at that speed) and my driveway is uphill, but not exceptionally steep. A touring bike simply doesn't need to be able to go 60 MPH in first gear, but it would really be nice to be able to start out on an uphill slope without burning the clutch out at 3,000 RPM.

I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and love the height of the stock seat when in the low position. But this is a very personal thing and we all have different perspective on seat height.

Is it possible to install the heat ducts incorrectly?

How could I tell?

Let me know.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #39 of 49 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 3:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Is it possible to install the heat ducts incorrectly?

How could I tell?

Let me know.
Hard to explain without pictures,but you have to pull the left and right fairing panels. It is pretty obvious if the ducts are in place behind each fan and attached such as to ensure the hot air can't leak out anywhere other than the vents in the fairings.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #40 of 49 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Hard to explain without pictures,but you have to pull the left and right fairing panels. It is pretty obvious if the ducts are in place behind each fan and attached such as to ensure the hot air can't leak out anywhere other than the vents in the fairings.
Do you have any pictures?

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #41 of 49 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 6:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I may, but I am on a business trip at the moment and don't have access to my picture album. You may have to remind me in a few days (I get home late on Saturday)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #42 of 49 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Keith, I will attempt to post a copy of the pic that is in the LT manual. It is the left fan duct output, which would be mated to the grill section of the left side fairing panel. If it does not come across I will find another way, but HTH.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Left Fan Duct.pdf (63.9 KB, 63 views)

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #43 of 49 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread but take care with the throttle cables when reassembling the tupperwear.

I put mine together awhile back and took off on a long trip. About a half hour out the throttle started sticking a bit. I pulled over and took the whole side apart on the side of the road, repositioned the cables a bit, carefully put her back together and all was fine.

Haste makes waste... But damn I'm getting good at the tupper.

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #44 of 49 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Keith,
I know you say the saddle heat is off but is the switch in the middle position? Sounds stupid but I remember someone else responding they put it in the front position, LOW HEAT.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #45 of 49 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the pic. It appears that mine are installed correctly.

BTW - yes the seat is really in the middle off position.

Thanks anyway,

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #46 of 49 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:22 am

Smile Re: Hot Legs...

Being from Canada we seldom run into enough heat for the bike fans to even cut in. However on our recent trip thru Nevada & Arizona on our 2009 LT I noticed the fans engaging at around 90+ degrees. My wife was wearing lined high boots that were great in cool weather but SUCK on the hot days. When we pulled into Las Vegas my guage showed 115. Rita was dying on the back, all the fan heat seemed to exit right on her ankles. She would not switch footwear to runners however as she felt she would actually burn her legs! On hot days she always started out carrying a frozen 2 liter water. That would last 1/2 hr anyway. Then I would start her on my extra water jug. Hydrate your passenger or they will get heat stroke! The driver does not seem to get much of the heat, but the passenger suffers. The bike handled it OK. Stuck in traffic the temp would go up a little but I never had to pull over. By the way with 60 lbs luggage we were close to the Max. weight rating but still averaged at least 55 mpg over 5,000 miles.

Sir Binkley in Saskatoon, Sk

2009 BMW 1200LT

1979 Kawasaki 1000 Mark 2 (Sold)
1976? Kawasaki 900 (torn chain blew up engine)
Honda 350 4 cylinder (Sold)
Suzuki 90 (Learner bike 40 years ago)
post #47 of 49 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 2:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the pic. It appears that mine are installed correctly.

BTW - yes the seat is really in the middle off position.

Thanks anyway,
I can't think of anything else obvious to check. I uess you will just have to trade it for something else. Although I can't imagine what make or model would have less heat than an LT. The sport touring bikes are pretty hot runners generally and the cruisers tend to really cook both rider and passenger.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #48 of 49 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBinkley
Being from Canada we seldom run into enough heat for the bike fans to even cut in. However on our recent trip thru Nevada & Arizona on our 2009 LT I noticed the fans engaging at around 90+ degrees. My wife was wearing lined high boots that were great in cool weather but SUCK on the hot days. When we pulled into Las Vegas my guage showed 115. Rita was dying on the back, all the fan heat seemed to exit right on her ankles. She would not switch footwear to runners however as she felt she would actually burn her legs! On hot days she always started out carrying a frozen 2 liter water. That would last 1/2 hr anyway. Then I would start her on my extra water jug. Hydrate your passenger or they will get heat stroke! The driver does not seem to get much of the heat, but the passenger suffers. The bike handled it OK. Stuck in traffic the temp would go up a little but I never had to pull over. By the way with 60 lbs luggage we were close to the Max. weight rating but still averaged at least 55 mpg over 5,000 miles.
I guess I am not the only one. My LT experiances the EXACT same issues. Ankles and legs burn up from the heat.

Thanks, at least I know I am not crazy now.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

post #49 of 49 Old Aug 29th, 2010, 8:03 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBinkley
What have you done to reduce the heat? If you read back through this thread, you can review the things I tried, maybe they will help on the 09 model?

Let me know how it goes...

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in