Wet weather problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Wet weather problems

I have experienced missing and rough engine during wet weather conditions. Does anyone know where to start on waterproofing an LT (2005) though I had bad gas the first time but it happened a second time during a rain storm. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:36 am

Re: Wet weather problems

Just a thought but you might want to take a look a the Plug wires try cleaning them really well.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:15 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Like wise as I have been though some frog drowners with no issues. May be a loose plug wire.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:22 am

Garage

The LT is pretty 'waterproof' as delivered.

I'd start by inspecting the spark plug wires for signs of broken or cracked insulation. The ignition system's high voltage will more easily arc to the engine, and not the plug, when the wires get damp or wet.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 3:08 pm

Don't ride in the rain? Is that an option? If not, +1 on the cables from the distributor to the plugs....clean 'em up real good and put 'em back on. Check the harness under the seat and under the frame where it goes to the back of the bike on the left (gear shift) side....make sure you don't have any exposed wires shorting out.

I just choose to not ride in the rain unless I'm caught in it.....makes it easier to keep the bike clean!

good luck.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 3:53 pm

First, keep riding and see if it's persistent or just transitory.

Had a moment of panic up in Canada a couple of weeks ago when, after riding through rain for several hours and then stopping to refuel, found that the bike would quit on me at very low speed and not hold idle. Held the throttle open in neutral for a while; seemed to get better. Then did a 110 kph ride for another few hours. The problem went away.

Any number of hypotheses, not of which could be proven: sucked in some water momentarily somewhere, bad gas (or water dripping in at refuel), or God doesn't love me.

Never had a problem before on my K11 or this K12 in the rain, but I acknowledge Murphy's law and so always wait to see how serious Murphy really is.

Larry Johnson
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 4:11 pm
Enjoy The Ride

One way to check plug wires is to mix up some salt water in a spray bottle. Salt water will short the wires out much better than straight water. Run the bike with the wire cover off in the dark & spray the salt water on the wires & coil. And then look for a light show.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
One way to check plug wires is to mix up some salt water in a spray bottle. Salt water will short the wires out much better than straight water. Run the bike with the wire cover off in the dark & spray the salt water on the wires & coil. And then look for a light show.
Rinse off the salt water REAL WELL before pulling/replacing wires..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 9:15 am

I had two rain related issues in the past.

Problem1: #2 Spark plug wire was chaffed due to the rough casting in were the spark plug wires lay.
Solution: Had to smooth down the the casting with a dremel and grinding stone and wrap the wires with plastic loom. Replace wire also.

Problem 2: Fuel tank vent line hanging down by the rear wheel used to suck up water
and clog the charcoal canister.
Solution: Removed that vent hose from the charcoal canister, replaced the charcoal canister, and added a small aftermarket air filter to that port of the charcoal canister.
Also found the vent solenoid internally corroded(the one by the fuel rail) and replaced it.
I have not had a problem in 100,000 miles and have had no gas smells on a hot day
after a fill up either.

To tell you the truth, I do not know if this was a better option than just doing a canisterectomy or not. I just thought to keep system intact and eliminate the water in the canister problem.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

71 Triumph 650 - 30,000 miles
76 Suzuki GT750 - 40,000 miles
85 1200cc Suzuki Madura - 107,000 miles
86 1200cc Yamaha Venture - 60,000 miles
99 BMW K1200LT - 158,000 (Sold)
09 BMW K1200LT -41,399 miles (and counting)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in