An observation, not a complaint - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:01 am Thread Starter

An observation, not a complaint

When I was at the Redmond Rally, I took a look at the vintage BMWs. Among them was a German military BMW. What struck me was this: it was set up for a rider, a passenger, a sidecar with machine gun mounted out front (that's 3 people), AND it was towing a 25 MM cannon.
How, in the 40's, were they able to build a motorcycle that could do all that, but in the 21st century, we're still struggling with broken shift linkages, slipping clutches, leaking seals, and failing final drives?
Granted, they did lose the war, but still....
Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:25 pm
Just ridin'

Re: An observation, not a complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
When I was at the Redmond Rally, I took a look at the vintage BMWs. Among them was a German military BMW. What struck me was this: it was set up for a rider, a passenger, a sidecar with machine gun mounted out front (that's 3 people), AND it was towing a 25 MM cannon.
How, in the 40's, were they able to build a motorcycle that could do all that, but in the 21st century, we're still struggling with broken shift linkages, slipping clutches, leaking seals, and failing final drives?
Not being argumentative, just playing the devil's advocate.

The old BMWs had carburetors, points and a cable operated clutch. While the clutch on an old airhead won't be contaminated by a leaking slave cylinder, they still could be by a leaking seal in the engine or transmission - I know that has happened on airheads.

The final drive was on a conventional swing arm so the bearing was not subjected to the same kind of loading as a single sided swing arm, but the bikes rode and handled like pigs. An engineer from BMW AG a few years back said that the single sided paralever suspension was retained due to handling and ride quality as well as ease of maintenance on the rear tire. He said that trying to make a double sided swing arm with the paralever qualities not only made maintenance more difficult, but it also compromised ride quality. I know paralever equipped bikes have much better rear suspension compliance than conventional swing arms, that is one of the things I really like about BMWs. Honda even went the same route on the new GoldWing for the same reasons. I just don't understand why BMW has had so much difficulty with failures, though it is clear that there have been improvements over the last few years.

I am not sure shift linkage failures on an LT are as frequent now as they were in the first few model years and probably not nearly as frequent as a stuck float or ignition issues on the old airhead. I am also not sure the old airheads were as reliable as they were "fixable", just like the WWII Harleys. The shaft drive eliminates chain maintenance, but valve, carburettor and ignition maintenance were pretty constant.

There is no reason to cut BMW slack on real issues such as the rear drive failures, but it would be difficult to compare the ride quality, efficiency, comfort and range of your LT to a WWII BMW and not have the LT win it all.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 2:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

They had quite the drive train on them , but they didn't have any rear suspension ether .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0022.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	589.4 KB
ID:	28202  

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Just another observation. I would rather be in a people carrier than a sidecar and or passenger while in combat. Not saying your observation is off, just commenting on my own safety needs.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
compare the ride quality, efficiency, comfort and range of your LT to a WWII BMW and not have the LT win it all.
Can't say that I would argue with any of that,
but there have been days where I would have been tempted to sacrifice some of that comfort and performance,
just to have that machine gun mounted out in front.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
And it had how many horsepower?

Let's see ... machine gun? cannon? machine gun? cannon? Decisions, decisions...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 7:30 pm

So,
do we get a "angel bell" or machine gun?

things that make you say hmmmmmmmmmmm

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 9 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 5:55 pm

another observation.....
Those things were used to kill Americans.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 9:00 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Can't say that I would argue with any of that,
but there have been days where I would have been tempted to sacrifice some of that comfort and performance,
just to have that machine gun mounted out in front.
+1

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in