Dealer Windshild Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Dealer Windshild Replacement

I followed most of the threads on the old board regarding windshields clouding up..... Using alcohol seems to work for the short term...
I can wash/clean mine on Saturday and by Wednesday just sitting in the garage it clouds up something terrible... It was bugging me so I called my dealer and asked about it.... No problem, they are going to change it (this saturday) under warranty. Naturally I was glad to hear that.. so I guess that means that there is something wrong with some number of them.. Does anyone know what actually causes it to fog up?

Rich in Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:39 pm

Question

I'm noticing that my 2003 windshield has started doing the same thing. Its about 2 1/2 years old and it seem that no matter how well I clean it, I get fogging the next morning. Is this a new dealer recall or bulletin? Think they would replace mine before the 3 yr warranty expires?
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratorino2004
I followed most of the threads on the old board regarding windshields clouding up..... Using alcohol seems to work for the short term...
I can wash/clean mine on Saturday and by Wednesday just sitting in the garage it clouds up something terrible... It was bugging me so I called my dealer and asked about it.... No problem, they are going to change it (this saturday) under warranty. Naturally I was glad to hear that.. so I guess that means that there is something wrong with some number of them.. Does anyone know what actually causes it to fog up?

Rich in Florida
Depending on the humidity level where you live (FL is high = bad), you can count on almost all of the OEM, made-in-Germany windshields to eventually fog up - not sure why. Your shield will be replaced with one made by National Cycle in the USA - look for the "NC" emblem on the lower front of the shield. The NC shields do NOT fog up. However, some of the NC shields have had significant distortion. If your new shield is distorted and it bothers you, ask your dealer to get you another NC shield until you get one that is not distorted.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:04 am

Garage
Rich:

As I have written in the past few days (to JustinCase, for instance), don't be surprised if the National Cycle WS is really distorted. I went to 441 Cycle in Davie twice and both times the WS was unacceptable. The owner said it would probably be the same each time they ordered another one. I wish you better luck than what I had. Mine clears up after a good scrubbing with Plexus, then fogs up after a few days in the garage. Out of frustration, I decided to buy a Cee Bayley's, which should arrive today.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 9:17 am Thread Starter

I love this forum...
thanks for the heads up on the NC windshield and the distortion problem..
I let everyone know how I make out on Saturday.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:02 am

Windshield Replacement

Mine started the fogging that others seem to experience just a bit outside of the three year warranty. My dealer replaced it free of charge with the OK from BMW. Indeed, the new National Cycle windshield is different from the old one in terms of distortion. However, I found that if I adjust it to a different position, it is all right.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Well Fort Myers BMW replaced my windshield on Saturday Morning. Took about
20 minutes. The replacement is a BMW windshield and not a NC as a couple of you folks mentioned. Its crystal clear and no signs of distortions except along the extreme outer edge on either side. The edge at the top has no distortions at all. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the fogging problem repeats its self..
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 9th, 2005, 6:36 pm

Garage
Thumbs up

Wow! I'm surprised that you got an actual German shield and not the one from National Cycle. You did way better than I did. Perhaps your dealer was smart and ordered the replacements from Germany, or had one lying around. Anyhow, glad to hear you're happy. I got the CeeBayley's #2 (-3) and it looks great. Haven't ridden yet because I have no seat. My KonTour seat will arrive on Weds. Ron from KonTour has been very patient and accomodating with me. So far, I'm quite pleased. Hope your shield doesn't fog up.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 10th, 2005, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Joe,
the dealer mentioned that he keep 1 or 2 windshields in stock. I guess I'm not the first to question the defect.
I'd be interested to see how you like the Kontour seat upgrade. It seem like a great product. I'm currently using a sheepskin cover and while its an improvement over using nothing its not that great. Give us post when you get it back..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in