Rear Disc Rotor Mounting Bolts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Rear Disc Rotor Mounting Bolts

The Clymer manuel as states as recommended by BMW to replace with new the two mounting bolts that hold the disc to the final drive. Is this really neccessary or just reusing, locititing, and torqueing them enough?

Let's here those opinions especially anyone that has reused them

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:55 am

Re: Rear Disc Rotor Mounting Bolts

I am guilty.
Torqued em back in..
Did not know I needed to change them...
and I am thinking that I did not get that done when the BMW place did my brakes at 12k as they had to remove the rotor and fix it.....

hmmmmm.. I say hmmmmm

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Maybe not the right thing to do, but I visually inspected and re-used mine. I ride like the old man I am. If I was a gear banger and into the throttle type of rider, I would have replaced them.

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't know since all they do is hold it on when the wheel is off - why? You still have the five lug bolts that transfer all that braking action to the wheel.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

thanks guys, ya'll re-enforced my own opinion. I will reuse.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Talking Re: Rear Disc Rotor Mounting Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone
The Clymer manuel as states as recommended by BMW to replace with new the two mounting bolts that hold the disc to the final drive. Is this really neccessary or just reusing, locititing, and torqueing them enough?

I wondered why the Clymer said not to reuse them too. Thanks for asking the question. I'm not sure we got the "why" answered yet though! I'm in the process of putting on a used FD and thought I'd ask the dealer mechanic if he knows why they can't be reused with a little dab of blue on them.

Maybe they get hot over time and weakens/ makes brittle, the screw? Just thinking outloud.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone

The BMW manual also says to replace them. I've replaced them once, and loctite them once when I didn't feel like ordering another set, I checked the torque the last time I took the tire off and nothing has given so???

I'll probably loctite again when the time comes as long as the hex holes stay good.

2012 K1600GT

post #8 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:53 am

Cool Re: Rear Disc Rotor Mounting Bolts

I for one fail to see the reason for replacing a perfectly good piece of hardware, so I have re-used them more than once! And they have yet to fall off!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:12 am

I have always reused them on my RT. I did replace them on my LT front because one was galled and the threads were damaged.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:12 am

I reuse these and other bolts as well. But before I reinstall the bolts I use a wire wheel to remove any Loctite that might interfere with the torquing...........I wrench for a living.....

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

It might be that when they are installed properly , the bolt stretches . Like the bolts that hold the clutch together , drive shaft on the old air heads...Stuff like that .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #12 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
It might be that when they are installed properly , the bolt stretches . Like the bolts that hold the clutch together , drive shaft on the old air heads...Stuff like that .

Of the answers so far on this thread, this one makes the most sense to me. I believe the hole these srew inot is only deep enough for a non stretched screw.

You think?

I see the dealer today or tomorrow and I'll ask. If I get a good answer, I'll post it here.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:20 am

I had the disc/ABS wheel carrier off to find the cowbells; screws came out easily; the dealer must have had them out as there were remains of blue gloop. Loosened with an Allen Key; socket drive not needed. Seems to me they hold the item on till the wheel's back on and the wheel bolts compression resist braking; those screws never would, new or old. So i used 'em again!! Fixed the cowbells with a squeeze of clear bath sealer in the non loaded side of all the rivets; it's worked so far.
Your decision!
Tony.
Yarm, UK.
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 9:16 pm

Thumbs up Re: Rear Disc Rotor Mounting Bolts

Tony,

I think you did fine.

I was at my dealer today and they said they thought it was a liability issue to use new screws.

So, if you/I reuse the screws, it's no big deal, I'd say.

They are $2.25 each so next time I'm reusing the old ones with a dab of blue on the threads.

Got my used FD on and ready for a ride tomorrow. YeeHaa

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 12:28 pm

On my several LTs I've had the rotors off many times. Personally, since I have had to drill & extract some screws on which the heads stripped out, I think that preventing cumulative damage to the heads is the best reason to replace them.

Heck, once, when I stripped the heads of both of them and didin't have any spares, I rode without them for several thousand miles. It seems the lug bolts did an OK job of holding the rotor in place.

GB

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in