Update on LAF (Bad juju) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Update on LAF (Bad juju)

As most of you know, LAF joined up with me and my wife at Hill City, SD on Thursday. Well, sad to say, LAF's trip has been cut short. On Saturday, while riding to the Badlands, LAF somehow went off the road and into a large ditch. He's banged up, but won't be riding for a while - fractured right wrist and left leg/ankle. He also has a non-displacement fracture of the C2 vertebra, lacerations and sutures to the left upper cheek and left ear. He also has a large abrasion to the top of his left shoulder and a cracked rib. He was taken by ambulance to the Rapid City Regional Hospital. Saturday night, surgery was done on his right wrist.

After seeing him off in the ambulance I stayed with his bike until a recovery man showed up with a covered trailer to take his bike. It took the driver, two state troopers and me to get it into the trailer. In a simple word, his bike is, "totaled." The frame has shifted about three to four inches to the left and is pressing down on the rear tire. We had to let air out of the tire so the wheel would turn. It was taken to a garage near Wall. I recovered everything I could and loaded it on my RT and rode into Rapid City and stayed with LAF until he came out of surgery and was admitted to a semi-private room. I got back to our campsite a little after midnight.

We visited LAF in the hospital today and are in the process of contacting his insurance agent and making arrangements for him to get a flight home. He's in pretty good spirits, all things considered. We dropped off some clothes and his laptop so he should be able to read any PMs that you might send or comments to this thread. However, I'm not sure whether the hospital has wifi.

I am anticipating quite a few questions and I will field them as best I can via PMs or replies to this post that have Tracus in the subject line.

The recap of the accident: A newly paved road with a sharp berm dropping three inches to loose soil. There was no shoulder. No wind gusts, no tar snakes. I was traveling the posted speed of 65 and LAF was doing 62-64. Because he was behind me, I did not witness the accident. It appears the bike dropped off the road and LAF did his best to hold a straight line and get back onto the pavement. Loose soil caused the bike to continue on a downward traverse until something happened to the front wheel causing the bike to cartwheel (flip) forward. LAF was launched forward and free of the bike. The bike landed on the rear rack and left the rack embedded into the ground. There was quite an impact crater. The bike then landed back on its wheels and continued on a course 45 degrees to the right of LAF's trajectory. The bike ended up on its right side about 25 feet from LAF. LAF was in full gear: half helmet, riding jacket and pants, boots and gloves.

A young couple who were passing by were the first on the scene. The husband was calling 911. His wife and I ran down to LAF and told him not to move. I went over and turned his bike off. (It was not running.) By the time I got back to LAF, two more people had arrived, they were tourists but are also first responders with a ski patrol unit and had a well stocked first aid kit. EMTs and two state troopers arrived within 15 minutes. Pretty amazing considering where we were. A paramedic arrived and finally the ambulance. LAF was hospital bound in approximately an hour.

Odd observations: his Zumo 660 was still working, the right turn signal would not turn off, there is grass caught between the rim and the bead of the front tire, the front tire is not flat, the left side case opened and closed after his bag liner was ejected in mid-flight. The engine actually started and we used reverse, first gear and man power to get it into the recovery trailer.

Ann and I have extended our stay at Hill City and are prepared to stay another night if needed until LAF has everything squared away.

So there you have it.

"Let's be careful out there."
Sgt. Phil Esterhaus, Hill Street Precinct

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tracus; Jul 18th, 2010 at 9:58 pm. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 10:09 pm

Re: Update on LAF (Bad juju)

Wow.. sorry for the trouble for LAF.. glad you guys were with him... even tho it is a hard thing to see, especially a friend, hurting.

Thanks for posting.. and keeping us up to speed on LAF...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 61 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Thanks for keeping us informed. Sorry for your luck LAF. Things will get better. I prefer for the most part riding alone, but glad he wasn't here.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

post #4 of 61 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Sorry this had to happen to you LAF, but I'm sure you are in good hands with Tracus with you. My hope for a fast recovery and prayers go out to you...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #5 of 61 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:21 pm

LAF
Holding a good thought for you.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #6 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 3:41 am

LAF,

I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Heal quickly!

Tracus, PM sent.

Todd

96 percenter Still.
post #7 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 4:28 am

Hang in there, LAF. My best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #8 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 6:19 am

Sorry to hear of LAF's accident and we hope he will recover swiftly and well. He is very fortunate to have friends like you Chris, to help and stick by. Also, it is so gratifying to hear of the number of trained first responders and paramedics that are out there on the road to lend assistance. It just makes life safer for all of us. Kudos to all of them.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

Last edited by Boatzo; Jul 19th, 2010 at 6:20 am. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 6:39 am

Damn dude, sorry to hear about this! Heal well and heal soon!
post #10 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 8:56 am

Unhappy Re: Update on LAF (Bad juju)

Chris, please pass our hopes for a rapid recovery on to Lee. And he should be glad he was ATGATT, even if there were some serious injuries. At least he still has a brain! And probably a lot less road rash than he would have suffered otherwise. This also points out the fact that it really is great to ride with friends when possible, because you never know when it might just reach up and surprise you! Glad that you were there to assist.

Lee should be thinking about the new ride: 1600cc maybe?

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 9:16 am

Wow, I just read his last post from his trip and now this one. Prayers sent out and it's good to know that there was another rider with him.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

All the best wishes to you LAF for a speedy and complete recovery.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #13 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:16 am

Lee,

Sorry to hear of it. My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien
post #14 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:25 am

Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #15 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Bummer , ... but , he was lucky that you were along . Hopefully LAF will make a full recovery .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #16 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:52 am

Take care and mend well.
Sorry to hear of this..
My prayers go out to you and yours

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #17 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Lee, I am incredibly sorry for your vacation ride mis-hap and can only pray for your complete recovery. What a terrible experience, my thoughts go out to you and your family,
God Bless.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #18 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Lee

Get well soon. Let me know if I can be of any (sorta local) assistance to you from up here in Allentown.

I hear a faint "K1600GTL" being mumbled from somewhere.

Pete

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #19 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Although I'm new to the forum I want to add my "Get Well" wishes and pray for a speedy recovery!

Drink Coffee! Do stupid things faster and with more energy!
post #20 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 6:17 pm

We wish LAF a speedy recovery.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #21 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Tracus,

Denny Kintner (aka Flint) over here in Gillette, Wy. Please give my prayers and wishes for a painless recovery for LAF. I'm about 2 hours west of Rapid but if there is any thing I can do to be of assistance? I have a covered trailer and a truck to pull it if it is of any need and if not I have a car to offer a ride some where in this area?

Glad your friend was a survivor and again best wishes.

Denny Kintner
1 307 257 7210
[email protected]

06 Suzuki Burgman
07 Honda VTX 1800 Neo
07 Suzuki V Strom 1000
08 GoldWing
post #22 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Lee, My prayers for a quick recovery and comfort when the meds start to wain..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #23 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recoverymy prayers and thoughts are with you.
post #24 of 61 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Re: Update on LAF (Bad juju) Updated Monday

Visited with LAF again. He's still in the hurt locker, but two of his three doctors have signed off for his discharge procedure. With luck he should be homeward bound by Wednesday or Thursday. He has not been able to read your posts, but I have relayed all of them to him. He really appreciates all your kind words, thoughts and prayers.

On behalf of LAF, thanks to all of you.

Take care,
Chris

post #25 of 61 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:04 am

Lee;

Just back from Redmond, OR and the MOA meet on a real high and I read this... There are folks out here who may not post but feel the pain. Do what Doc says and you'll be up and around in no time... Just get well... Meeting you and shaking your hand is on my bucket list... I'd like to do that in some eatery on some road in some town that takes us to somewhere!

You get well my friend...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #26 of 61 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Good Grief Lee

Heart Felt best wish's to you Lee

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #27 of 61 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 7:18 pm

Are there any recent updates?

We are still pulling for you Lee.

96 percenter Still.
post #28 of 61 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 7:32 pm

Thanks for the thorough update. Sorry about the bad crash, LAF. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #29 of 61 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 8:42 pm

LAF, glad you had your helmet, so you didn't brain your damage. I've had a couple get offs - parts other than brains will heal. Hopefully quickly.

Get better.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #30 of 61 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 9:57 pm

Tracus - thanks for your help!

Lee - this sucks. I wish you quick recovery!

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #31 of 61 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Lee flies home today. He is able to walk (short distances) with a cane. At some point my wife and I will start mailing his gear home to him. It'll be Christmas in July. Again, on behalf of LAF who did not have internet access at the hospital, thanks for all your thoughts, words, prayers and wishes.

Take care,
Chris

post #32 of 61 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 1:10 pm

Amazing how quickly life changes, how fragile it all is.
post #33 of 61 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 2:25 pm

Lee,
From one who just came out of surgery to another....mend well my brother! My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery!

A'in't it great to have battle buddies.....er, I mean riding buddies like Chris!

Chris, U B DA MAN! More than you realize, you'll be well thought of by Lee and his family....plus others on this forum, for a very long time! You're a good man!

Later,
Kenny

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #34 of 61 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 7:37 am

Lee,

Heal quickly. If there is anything you could use a bit of help with after you get home, give me a call. I am less than an hour away. You should still have my contact information, but if not, shoot me a pm and I will get it to you again.

Todd

96 percenter Still.
post #35 of 61 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Lee flies home today. He is able to walk (short distances) with a cane. At some point my wife and I will start mailing his gear home to him. It'll be Christmas in July. Again, on behalf of LAF who did not have internet access at the hospital, thanks for all your thoughts, words, prayers and wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris, the way you have helped Lee is awesome and he was lucky to have you and your wife as riding companions.

Lee, heal quickly and know that many are pulling for your speedy recovery.... I normally prefer to ride alone, but have started to reconsider. uh eh .heading up north for a week of riding in WV and uh uh .... What ya doing next week Chris! :-)

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #36 of 61 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 9:17 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

First thank you all. I can not say 8 days after this happening and finally reading your well wishes what it means to me.

I got in from Chicago at 12:30 Am Sat. morning.

Wheelchair assist on both flights.

Right wrist is screwed and platted and cast. Left ankle is broken and in a cast. Multiple broken ribs, after 3 I said I did not care, one is sever agony and nothing can be done other than pain management. A small left shoulder of road rash that is pink skin now. The only rash I had at all. My glasses left arm bent and cut my face a bit so a few stitches in that area, again the only abrasion or blood that left my body. I have an issue in my top vertebrae where it is broken but no pieces. Usually a Halo is used. My issue with my rib would not allow the traditional and least obtrusive method. And traveling with a bone affixed Halo would not be an option so they put me in a neck brace that is a true torture device. Monday I see my family doctor and will get stitches out and work on the next steps.

I do not remember the accident other then some flashes of it. I know I somehow got my front wheel off the macadam, so I dropped the rear off, and made a few attempts of crossing back up onto the black top but could not get over the side of the blacktop. After that no clue at all.

I had ATGATT and have taken a lot of crap over it and have seen the looks I have been given. You know what, PRICELESS!

I went to the hospital where they drag the Sturgis people to. I was praised from the moment I regained consciousness to Friday morning when I left. The Cop was so happy I was in gear. The Ambulance crew flat out told me it was finally nice to bring one in and alive, because their very long trips are not often a good one. The Surgeons, and Nurses were very pleased and thrilled. I think is was a validation to them that I cared enough for myself to wear gear. So they were very pleased to help fix me and I do believe it restored some faith to the older nurses I met.

I am on heavy pain meds as every step or move is a knockout punch. But I am alive and I have everything, and I can think.

Only do over is if I could have had my Schubert on instead of the 1/2. I may have taken the few stitches from my glasses away.

Chris and his Wife are my friends and my saviors. Truly with out them I would have been alone and helpless and my Sister would have had to fly out and help with affairs and get me home. I can not tell you what it meant to regain consciousness and see Chris holding a tarp to shade me from the Sun.

A debt I know he does not consider as such, but one I owe as sure as I breath.

Don't know how the bike is going to settle out yet, not even a indication. I really am not concerned as I have won something that is way more precious, Life.

All the people I touched and was touched by this past week has revealed that life is the winner in every contest. I am very lucky and the rest is just bonues.

Thank you all and please wear your gear. I am convinced that had I not had it on I would be dead.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #37 of 61 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi LAF, Cool ! Your brain & at least one finger is working . ... But , in the end it is your friends that make a difference . It sounds like You have some good ones in Chris and his Wife

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #38 of 61 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Lee, glad to hear you are home and on the mend. I am really sorry about the fractured ribs. There are few things in this life that hurt like fractured ribs and, unfortunately, they take a little time to heal.

The good news is that they only hurt when you breathe or hold your breath, sit down, lay down or take a walk, twist, bend, stand straight or slouch. And whatever you do don't sneeze, laugh or get the hiccups!

Be cool my friend and get well. We still have a business transaction to take care of!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #39 of 61 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 10:19 pm

This is wonderful!

Thanks be to God!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #40 of 61 Old Jul 24th, 2010, 11:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Lee,
Great to see you've managed to make it home. All the possessions and experiences in the world pale in comparison to the value of good friends.

All the best to you for a complete recovery.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #41 of 61 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 12:00 am Thread Starter

I just off off the phone with LAF and it is damned good to hear his voice and to know he's home. I know it's going to be a long haul to get back to normal, but at least he's here to take those first steps.

To DanDiver, I normally prefer to ride alone, but have started to reconsider. uh eh .heading up north for a week of riding in WV and uh uh .... What ya doing next week Chris! :-)

Unless you're anticipating a crash, you don't need me along.

However, let me say this, and by no means am I taking credit for what I did for LAF, we've been riding together for eight years so it's sort of a package deal. But there is something I have taught my backpacking students for years and the same applies to those of us riding out over the horizon, know your partner as well as you know your gear. You may have the latest farkles and have prepped your bike, changed fluids, etc. But what about your partner? As we all know, things can happen that are above and beyond our control and it's the human factor that is going to ultimately determine what is going to happen. It doesn't matter if you're on the side of the road with a flat or an empty tank or lying in the ER - a solid riding partner makes all the difference. So, for those of us who hook up with a couple a "friends" and hit the asphalt, you might want to put this question in the back of your mind, "Can I count on this guy?" I'm not asking if you'd share his or her toothbrush, but you get the idea.

LAF has said he owes me big time. Well, that's up to him. Having him look up at me from the ground was good enough. Having him talk to me just now on the phone was even better. What I ask is that we all "pay it forward." LAF may get his chance some time in the future and if it does happen to someone else, then I would consider the debt paid in full. Although, in my book, there is no debt and never has been. I know LAF would have done the same for me. And I would hope that we would all do the same for each other.

Here endeth the sermon. So, let's go rack up some miles.

Take care,
Chris

post #42 of 61 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 10:57 am

Really good post Chris.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #43 of 61 Old Jul 25th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Lee,
So glad to hear that your finally home and on the mend. I imagine there'll be physical terrorism to go through to get every joint working the way they are supposed to. Good luck with everything that is to come.

Chris,
Good on you for being able to stay with Lee while he was down and in the hospital. Your post above about having riding friends that would stick around in the same situation made me think. Several of us in the southeast section get together for day-rides, RTEs, STC. Two of us will be heading to CCR (WOOHOO!) in about a month. I know I could count on any/all of them in good times or bad. I hope they know they can depend on me as well.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #44 of 61 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 9:40 am

Quote:
I really am not concerned as I have won something that is way more precious, Life.
Good on ya for letting us know. Prayers are sent and will send again. That one sentance is a really good one and makes me thing.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #45 of 61 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 1:08 pm

Lee

Good to hear you've made it home. Hopefully your pain (especially the ribs - by far the worst injury I have known) reduces a little each day. Whether or not you think the neck brace is a torture device, I'm not sure the halo would have been much better - at least they have you on the mend.

Take care.

Pete

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #46 of 61 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Lee and Tracus,

It looks like the MOA rally 2011 will be held in July in Bloomsburg, PA.
It would be nice to shake hands with a couple of dedicated friends and riding buddies.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #47 of 61 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Good news all round! Prayers for Lee's full recovery and thanks to Chris for being there in time of need and the advice to pay it forward. We never know when it's going to happen, so prepping as aid giver, is very important. Buddy system and patrol method work.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #48 of 61 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 2:42 pm

Hi Lee,

glad to see you are well alive and kicking!

In case your bike is totaled perhaps you just use your recovery time for waiting for the new GTL and jump directly to that one

Speedy recovery and take it easy now for a while!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #49 of 61 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:51 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks again guys!

First Doc today and the course is setting up. 13 stitches out of the face which were itching.

Biggest issue for my Family Doc is my blood pressure. It is and has been WAYYYYYYY high since this has happened. They say it is pain management issue and have changed my meds again.

Looks like the other issues will be mostly following x-rays to ensure the fractures are healing or not moving around. Then whether to keep or take the plate out of the wrist after the fracture heals.

Just reaching out to the Insurance company to see what I may start looking for bike wise.

I hope to get some early Fall riding in. Just not sure on what bike it will be.

Well again I thank you guys and it is nice to share this with others. I mean in our social circle 65 MPH get offs happen and we read and wish, and pray and hope for each other. It is different when the writings are about you. I am thrilled to read and peck out posts. Really, I am thrilled.

The most important thing I learned here is ATGATT. I did not subscribe to that before riding a BMW. My subscription is stamped Life Time now.

Thank you BMWLT.com for that

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #50 of 61 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 6:16 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Lee glad to hear that you are on the path to riding again. I too Blame this forum for my ATGATT I have ALWAYS wore a helmet but not always the right clothing. It is also a blessing to have a friend that will do what ever is need to see you are taken care off. Heal well & ride again my friend.

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in