yes, I really am asking these two questions ... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

yes, I really am asking these two questions ...

I am new to the LT and this forum, but learning my way around. I now realize a farkle is a good thing and not something I should excuse myself for.

When I got it, it needed some cosmetics so I have the bike torn down (all the tupperware off) in anticipation of a new paint job. I have a running list of what I think I want to do ... some already done ...
heated corbin seats (low) - done
suburban lowering pegs - done
grip puppies - ordered
move trunk back
HID conversion - will order from DDM? (just low or both?)
Saddlebag reflectors to lights mod
front smoke turn lenses - in the garage
front running lights mod
wing lighting mod
miller mirror housing lights mod

What am I missing - especially with the tupperware off? (maintenance will be done)

I was going to paint it a kandy blue or blue pearl color. When I mentioned that to a few people ... well, you can imagine the opinoins rolled. I want a cool, unique deep paint job that is in keeping with the character and flow of the LT; but am second guessing.

So, here is the BIG question ... what are the best ideas out there for paint on the LT? I don't want a boring , flat color - unique, not freak. Pictures are even better!

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: yes, I really am asking these two questions ...

Take out the evap canister and replace with an air compressor. Muth mirror signals are nice. Add a brake light enhancement kit. Bug guards on the radiators.

dan
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 11:56 pm

I ordered and installed the H3 and H7 DDM HIDs....order the wiring harness to go with them to simplify the electrical connections.

As far as paint colors are called, check all the original colors from the when the bikes first came out.....lots to choose from!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:07 am

Welcome to the asylum! Medication is available at a twist of the throttle.

What Kenny said... HID.. NOW!!! I got minezez here http://www.kbcarstuff.com/ they are a vendor/supporter of this site...

Yes, they are more expensive than the "Chinese" ones.. but hey, to each his own Lights are important...

additional "lighting"... LED's provide the best for "low electrical loads"... just gotta pay attention to the "polarity".

You can get some kewl LED strip lights now at Auto Zone...check the bling aisle.. they have buttons to light them up so you can choose.

Use "SAE" connectors to make your electrical connections for PIAA's, etc where they attach to the bike.. makes "service" a snap and polarity is maintained.

As for "paint" Mr. Kinsey of our forum is the best bike painter I've met in quite a while. If it has to do with paint, I would depend on whatever he can offer.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 9:45 am

Hey Steve--Here are the MOST Important things I think should be done!! (Before cosmetic's.)
1. Spiegler brake line kit!!
2. After market shocks!!
3. After market seat!! Done!!

Phil Bradley
post #6 of 23 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Nah..... Don't listen to Phil! You need lights! Lots and lots and lots of lights!
EXTRA stuff like brake lines can wait 'till later!

Don't forget the led strips under the trim of the rear cases. Tie them to the turn indicators. I'm going to also hook mine up so they will provide additional tail light functions.

A pair of nice Hella driving lights to search waaaaaaaaay down the road is also a nice thing to have. I mounted mine below the mirrors just in front of the wind deflector thingeys (which are also lighted). Total cost for the mounts? Less than $2 (two dollars).

Auto Zone is your friend for LED lighting.

Next lighting task for me is to add marker lights to the tip over wings. They now make led strips with black trim between the led's.

BTW: My preference for paint is a deep blue with a metal flake silver contrasting color. Although, purple is the royal color (see avatar)...........

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by p429brad
Hey Steve--Here are the MOST Important things I think should be done!! (Before cosmetic's.)
2. After market shocks!!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Last edited by wa1200lt; Jul 18th, 2010 at 12:28 pm.
post #7 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Non plastic OEM fuel tank quick disconnects.

Jiffy Tites from Racer Parts Wholesale.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 1:23 pm

This really isn't a Farkle, but since you have it all apart, if the weep hole hasn't been drilled, you ought to think about it. Ditto for shocks !!! Just my 2 cents.
post #9 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Curb feelers and static strips.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by p429brad
2. After market shocks!!
"Done???"

HID before any of that ... AND that. And, and, and . . . The list goes on & on & on...

Keep surfing this site and these guys will spend a LOT of your money. Bastages!
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 5:57 pm

I have an 05. Where the square plate is on the left side of the dash (BC for the pre 2005s) I installed a cigar lighter.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #12 of 23 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

What about paint? Colors, schemes, etc? What's the best, coolest, etc. out there thqat you have seen? any pictures?

Steve
post #13 of 23 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder:

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #14 of 23 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Dood.. ya shouldn't have painted your face...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 23 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Dood.. ya shouldn't have painted your face...

Kinda brings a new meaning to the style 'rat bike'. I don't remember where I found the picture but I do remember the bike was located in Moscow, Russia. Definitely not my style but it sure illustrates what can be done with paint.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #16 of 23 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:13 am
cws

Garage

anyone mention the most basic...?

Tether the damn mirrors before you lose them...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 23 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 4:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
anyone mention the most basic...?

Tether the damn mirrors before you lose them...
Duh! Shoulda thought of that first!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #18 of 23 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:16 pm

Here's my paint suggestion......(you may have to copy and paste the link) or any of the other mixes they have....... Paint is one of the "chameleon" colors by PPG......this one showed as 7 separate colors if you got in the right sunlight. This was my old RT that was totaled in Nov 05.....bought my LT 10 days later....but I don't have another tool chest to trade my son-in-law for another paint job....so it'll forever be Pacific Blue.

http://empdesigns.com/images/pics/Lft_frt.jpg

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #19 of 23 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 2:30 pm

Just thought of one last farkle. I got tired of seeing those V-Twin riders cruising the freeways with their cheesy leather handlebar grip tassles hanging down to the road. They not only look dumb, they don't even match the bike color.

Here is THE solution. Small, tasteful, and color coordinated!

BTW, the switch on the right side of the dash was temporary and is no longer in place.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #20 of 23 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder:

OH MY GOD! nuf said

2002 K1200LTC
post #21 of 23 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
Here's my paint suggestion......(you may have to copy and paste the link) or any of the other mixes they have....... Paint is one of the "chameleon" colors by PPG......this one showed as 7 separate colors if you got in the right sunlight. This was my old RT that was totaled in Nov 05.....bought my LT 10 days later....but I don't have another tool chest to trade my son-in-law for another paint job....so it'll forever be Pacific Blue.

http://empdesigns.com/images/pics/Lft_frt.jpg
That is some pretty paint.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #22 of 23 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve

What am I missing - especially with the tupperware off? (maintenance will be done)

I was going to paint it a kandy blue or blue pearl color. When I mentioned that to a few people ... well, you can imagine the opinoins rolled. I want a cool, unique deep paint job that is in keeping with the character and flow of the LT; but am second guessing.

So, here is the BIG question ... what are the best ideas out there for paint on the LT? I don't want a boring , flat color - unique, not freak. Pictures are even better!

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Who cares what everyone else thinks or says ...it is your's and you have to enjoy it ....you paint it what ever you want ...with that said i like the Blue Pearl

also not sure if you adding a GPS or Sirius Radio as a farkle..but you might think about pre wiring and adding a fuse box

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #23 of 23 Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 8:26 am Thread Starter

I am pretty sure I will still do the blue ... just wanted to be sure there was not something I hadn't thought of or seen. I don't know everything ...

What has been the experience painting the front lowers - the parts that are typically that silver/gray color? I know David Kinsey's black beauty looked very good with everything color matched. They seem slightly different, like more flexible ... do they require different prep or consideration when painting to match the rest of the bike?

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in