Down for 6 months.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Down for 6 months....

The picture isn't for the weak or fainthearted. I received a phone call last week that I had a match and I underwent an osteochondral allograft transplant on Thursday...right before I was supposed to take my trip to the Gateway Arch. Needless to say, I wasn't able to make the trip.....or any other trips for the next six or so months. I'd like to ask the Texas riders, specifically the Pie Princess, to enjoy a few pieces of pie for me on the next several months of RTEs!

This all stemmed from an injury I incurred in Baghdad a few years ago. The first surgery didn't work...you can see the extent of the missing cartilage and bone damage in the left picture....the new replacement parts (a quarter and nickle size each) are now in my leg. I cannot put any pressure on the leg for 6-8 weeks and recovery will take 4-6 months....translated to mean no riding Belle for awhile.

As part of my pre-surgery therapy, I took Belle out for a 250 mile jaunt through the Texas hill country, washed her down real good, put some SeaFoam down her gullet, and hooked her up on life support (battery tender) until I'm able to ride again.

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to hang out on the forum!

Ride safe and stay cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Osteochondral Allograft.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	28178  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 10:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Down for 6 months....

I wish you luck and a quick recovery. Not riding can be a real bummer.

dan
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Git better... and don't aggravate Nurse Natzi...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Fraulein Hella is going to be a tough cookie when my physical therapy starts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Git better... and don't aggravate Nurse Natzi...

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #5 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 4:36 am

Dayem, Kenny - that looks like it mighta stung a bit!!

Maybe Chan or I should drop by and stir up the Stabil for 50 or 60 miles every so often!!! Or after you git past the first therapy hurdle, at least we could offer to letcha ride bitch to an RTE!!!

Very best to you in the recovery process. You know to shout if there's anything we can do for ya!
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 7:00 am

That looks nasty. All the best to you in your recovery and do what the "PHYSICAL TERRORIST" tells you to do and don't miss a step, you will be back riding before you know it.

I used to love riding the Texas hill country back in the late 60s early 70s on my FLH. Good luck to you.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury & repair. But thanks for your service. The SO & I visited a Traveling Viet Nam Memorial here in Illinois yesterday on the LT. It was very sobering/emotional to say the least. The price our men & women pay for our freedom is well... priceless. At least at the end of six months you will be able to ride some in the winter living in Texas. Heal fast my friend....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
That looks nasty. All the best to you in your recovery and do what the "PHYSICAL TERRORIST" tells you to do and don't miss a step, you will be back riding before you know it.

I used to love riding the Texas hill country back in the late 60s early 70s on my FLH. Good luck to you.
The roads are far far far more crowded than the time you rode here... but.. there are some "lesser" ridden roads that are still fairly tolerable.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
The picture isn't for the weak or fainthearted.
I wish I would have read the above first, before looking at those pics---

Wish you the best on your recovery--I'm sure the Pie Princess can help you out on the pie!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #10 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 5:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry for the necessity, Kenny, but glad we got the technology. After my shoulder got a rebuild, I hated the physical therapy, but did it anyway. Turned out Attila the Nurse, and the Physical Terrorist were my friends. Take it easy until they say otherwise. You're a good soldier, you'll do fine.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
The picture isn't for the weak or fainthearted. I received a phone call last week that I had a match and I underwent an osteochondral allograft transplant on Thursday...right before I was supposed to take my trip to the Gateway Arch. Needless to say, I wasn't able to make the trip.....or any other trips for the next six or so months. I'd like to ask the Texas riders, specifically the Pie Princess, to enjoy a few pieces of pie for me on the next several months of RTEs!

This all stemmed from an injury I incurred in Baghdad a few years ago. The first surgery didn't work...you can see the extent of the missing cartilage and bone damage in the left picture....the new replacement parts (a quarter and nickle size each) are now in my leg. I cannot put any pressure on the leg for 6-8 weeks and recovery will take 4-6 months....translated to mean no riding Belle for awhile.

As part of my pre-surgery therapy, I took Belle out for a 250 mile jaunt through the Texas hill country, washed her down real good, put some SeaFoam down her gullet, and hooked her up on life support (battery tender) until I'm able to ride again.

Looks like I'll have plenty of time to hang out on the forum!

Ride safe and stay cool!
Take care and heal well........

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Garage

We'll pray for a speedy recovery and rehap, then call me and we'll go riding in the rain!

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Live long and prosper.
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
We'll pray for a speedy recovery and rehap, then call me and we'll go riding in the rain!
Rain? RAIN?? Whuts DAT? I can set the yard sprinkler on 'hi'

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 8:08 pm

P. S. - Don't forget to put in for disability upon separation.
post #16 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
RAIN......whew.....I shiver at the thought! Thanks for all the well wishes gents!
In the mean time, all I have to ride are the memories of the 250 miles the day before the surgery pictured below! My mama always told me there'd be days like this!

Great to see ya yesterday Chann! Anthony....thanks for the fan....now I just need the healing to begin so I can put it on the bike!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mama said there'd be days like this!.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	28209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auf Weidersehn!.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	394.5 KB
ID:	28210  

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #17 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 2:53 pm

So Kenny, is the scenery around your bike the famous Texas Hill Country? Very pretty area, had no ideas there were places like this in the great state of TX.

I had to look at your signature to determine what color your bike is as the 2 pictures show 2 definitely different colors neither being Basalt Gray. Very very nice.

So glad to hear your knee repairs have been done. God speed to you as you heal and prayers for your fast and complete recovery.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #18 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
So Kenny, is the scenery around your bike the famous Texas Hill Country? Very pretty area, had no ideas there were places like this in the great state of TX.

I had to look at your signature to determine what color your bike is as the 2 pictures show 2 definitely different colors neither being Basalt Gray. Very very nice.

So glad to hear your knee repairs have been done. God speed to you as you heal and prayers for your fast and complete recovery.

Loren
Yep! Texas ain't flat and full of prairie patties for hills! According to the Farb (color) sticker on the frame under my seat 740 = Basalt Grau. I will admit to photoshopping the pics a little bit....I couldn't find any lettering in the sky or on the road! When I ordered the painted replacement parts following someone hitting me in the panniers last year, I ordered 740....this is the color they came in.

Here's another pic (unedited/photoshopped and taken the same day) showing the color in the sun.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gloster Bend.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	28211  

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #19 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 4:32 pm

I hope your recovery is quick and as little pain as possible..

I had to park mine last summer due to Back Surgery (spinal fusion) I walked out to the Garage once a week or so just to make sure the battery tender was working..and shed a tear on more then one occasion....It was a long 6 months for me I hope yours goes faster

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in