Speedo Correction - it works! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:07 am Thread Starter

Speedo Correction - it works!

I had the nose cone off to replace my DDM HID H3 (high beam) and decided to go ahead and do the speedometer correction. Was easier than I thought it would be, and WORKS! You do need a very fine-tipped solder gun (which I don't have)... I had the kid at Radio Shack do the actual soldering - took 3 minutes.

Mine used to be off by at least 10%; now back to within 1% or so (compared to GPS).

Many thanks to Randy for the great article! Want to do this yourself? Click here for instructions.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:18 am

Re: Speedo Correction - it works!

At the 24K service I'm gonna do mine! Big problem for me is that the bike speedo reads fast i.e. 30mph = 27mph while my F150 pickup is the opposite! 30 mph indicated = nearly 35mph!

I use the GPS for both!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:54 am

Talking Re: Speedo Correction - it works!

Is the same board used for newer models? mine is an 05. Will this adjustment work on all years?????????

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
At the 24K service I'm gonna do mine! Big problem for me is that the bike speedo reads fast i.e. 30mph = 27mph while my F150 pickup is the opposite! 30 mph indicated = nearly 35mph!

I use the GPS for both!

Loren
You must have considerably larger wheels on the truck than it had stock. That is one thing so many people do and not think about the speedo change. There are speedo drive gear conversions available for many cars, don't know about your truck, if it uses a gear drive. Later trucks have a VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) pulse plate which can be changed out for a different one, or some vehicles have a PCM (Pulse Code Module) which can be calibrated. Ask your dealer about your model truck.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 12:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The first time I tried the fix it didn't work for me. Hmmmmm? No one else on the forum had seen this procedure fail. When I went back in to check my soldering, I looked at my PC board and then the HOW picture and realized that my PC board was missing a 0 ohm resister (jumper). So even though I correctly jumpered the correct pads, the fix as stated, won't work if a resister is missing from the jumper area.
Check your board against the photo in the HOW very closely or it could cause you to dive that deep again.
It feels real good to have an accurate speedo even though the GPS is there.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
The first time I tried the fix it didn't work for me. Hmmmmm? No one else on the forum had seen this procedure fail. When I went back in to check my soldering, I looked at my PC board and then the HOW picture and realized that my PC board was missing a 0 ohm resister (jumper). So even though I correctly jumpered the correct pads, the fix as stated, won't work if a resister is missing from the jumper area.
Check your board against the photo in the HOW very closely or it could cause you to dive that deep again.
It feels real good to have an accurate speedo even though the GPS is there.

HTH,
Jer
Mine is jumpered with wire - essentially the same as a 0 ohm resistor..

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Speedo Correction - it works!

Tobiwan,
The '05 and newer reads about 3-3.5 mph fast(60 showing = 56.5 appx). We need to move the speedo arm down the amount of one dash so it reads 60 at 60. That fix is on here somewhere. Or, remember that 60 is really one dash over 60. 50 is two dashes below 60. Same for all numbers on the speedo.
That is what my GPS and speedo told me.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 2:31 pm

what about jumper JA...it says may also remove, or leave in place ?? What effect does jumper JA have ?? I currently have Metz 880 on the front !!

Jim

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Odometer now running BACKWARDS - no good

UPDATE! Hold the thought on how well this works! I ran a short ride last night to verify the accuracy, using comparison to GPS. Looked great.

Today, ran about a 30 mile test.... Odometer running BACKWARDS! WTF??

Don't think I got any wires crossed, and I KNOW the jumpers per the instructions are correct, so I'll have to tear the beast apart and investigate.

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 7:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Mine is jumpered with wire - essentially the same as a 0 ohm resistor..
I'm talking about a factory installed 0 ohm resister that was missing on my PCB.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in