radio fuzz - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

radio fuzz

2002 k1200ltc very poor radio reception. can anyone help me with answers? thanks and regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 15th, 2010, 7:09 am

Re: radio fuzz

Make sure the antenna is fully seated in its holder. A friend of mine with an 02 had the same issue and his antenna could be pulled out of the base very easily. I can't remember what is supposed to hold it in place. I think it has a hex nut that is tighten but not positive.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 8:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I'm experiencing a similar issue and looked around for an answer but still puzzled.

I have an '03 and am getting no FM reception. Well, I removed the antenna and took a little WD40 on the mild rust that was present. In scraping at the rust where the cable "seats" into the antenna the receptacle sprung out (but didn't fall out.)

After reseating the whole deal, I found the AM reception was pretty good, but that may have had more to do with figuring out how to manually tune it. FM, however, tries its hardest to tune into the stronger stations but it can't seem to do it. Lots of fuzz.

It may seem inconsequential, but is there supposed to be a tip on the end of the antenna?

The previous owner must've tried this path, too, 'cause the tiny screws on the underside of the antenna base are worn stripped slightly. The cable tip appears to protrude far enough.

<shrug>

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Have you checked the connection at the other end of the cable - under the stingray? Mine was not connected securely.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 6:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolbaugh
Have you checked the connection at the other end of the cable - under the stingray? Mine was not connected securely.
Honestly, not sure how to do that. I did get a flashlight and looked under there but couldn't see the cable (or where it routed to, of course.) It would appear the cables to the radio route left from back of the radio. Is this something I'd get to from the removing top stuff?

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 3:40 pm

Check out this thread.

I had similar problems sometime ago and if I remember correctly the problem with mine was the metal spring was bending when assembled and was grounding out on the side of the housing. I used a plastic sleeve (just found one in my junk drawer that would fit) to surround the spring. It solved the problem.

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 4:30 pm

MY CLC also suffers from poor reception. In my case, the problem lies at the very end of the cable where it pushes up into the antenna base. The center wire in the cable is thinner than a hair (one problem) and there doesn't seem to be a part or a set screw or anything to keep it shoved up there, just friction. (second problem) With vibration and gravity, it always seems to work it's way out a bit. There is no way to see this from the outside, and I can shove it to where its supposed to be, but by the time I get everything back together it works loose. Many times I had it working good while stationary in my garage or driveway, only to have the reception drift in and out as I ride test it.

Someone in another thread said he used clear sealing silicone forced up and around the wire where it sits inside the base. That'll be included in my next attempt at fixing the problem. The center wire needs to be made fatter for better connection, but I tried to get some solder to stick to it, but no luck there either. I wonder why BMW never chose to use a screw-on connector, like the end of a CB radio cable.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 4:57 pm

2002 vs 2006... dunno how they differ... well I do, but there's so many incarnations...

I use a rechargeable MP3 player that has the FM module built in... I can switch quickly between FM and MP3 source material and the MP3 player sticks to a velcro paddle that extends up from the right brake housing (forget what those are called... damn CRS disease). Works great and no fishing around behind and below the string-ray.

If you have a way to route alternate inputs (AUX) it's the way to go IMHO...

iPod and DICE users... your idea, I just took it one step further... At 6.99 a piece, they are throw away...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in