Cruise Diagnostic question: Quick one, I promise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Cruise Diagnostic question: Quick one, I promise

After reading through all of the HOW using the very handy search engine I found tons of great information. I really did not want to post this because SEARCH and HOW are such wonderful tools.

I upgraded my broken throttle cables this weekend. While removing the fuel tank, my neighbor helped me snap an OEM plastic fuel tank quick disconnect. While waiting for my overnight shipment of my Racer Parts Wholesale Jiffy tite aluminum quick disconnects I researched the Cruise Control issues common to the LT...just in case it doesn't work after re-assembling the tupperware. The cruise was perfect before the throttle cable upgrade.

I found the diagnostic test for the Cruise Control. I know this procedure uses the dash SET light as the reference (Light ON/OFF) In step #2, what is the RESET position? I assume that it is the SET position.

Thanks for your help. BTW, my Jiffy Tites arrived while I was typing this.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...apsed&sb=5&o=0

From Bill Biel and David Shealey

The following method was first posted by Bill Biel. It should help as a diagnostic as to the nature of the malfunction of the cruise control system. Pay close attention to how quickly the throttle switch is triggered to determine if throttle free play is adequate.
This procedure must be done exactly as follows while you monitor the "SET" light on the instrument cluster:

1) With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control. Press and hold the cruise control switch to the SET position and switch on the ignition switch (LIGHT).

2) Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move the switch to the RESET position (LIGHT).

3) Release the button (LIGHT OFF), switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT).

4) Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF).

5) Rotate the throttle against the throttle stop (LIGHT), release the throttle (LIGHT OFF).

6) Pull the clutch lever (LIGHT), release the clutch lever (LIGHT OFF).

7) Pull the front brake lever (LIGHT), release the lever (LIGHT OFF).

8) Push the foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON).

9) Rotate the rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON).

10) Switch off the ignition.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 10:23 am
Just ridin'

Re: Cruise Diagnostic question: Quick one, I promise

It is moving the switch the opposite direction of set - some call it reset others call it resume. Pushing the switch toward the front of the bike is set/accelerate and toward the rear is resume/decelerate.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #3 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

On a side note: If your cruise was fine before the upgrade, and it does not work after all you need to do is add some slack to the throttle closer cable. Do the adjustment up at the handle bars.

I had no issues when I replaced mine with the new style so I don't expect you will either.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Gentlemen,

The diagnotstic test passed. Hopefully it will work on the road after I get the tupperware back on.

I didn't anticipate any issues either since it was only the throttle cable replacement. I just wanted to be ready...it is the "boy scout that never was" in me.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in