trany leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

trany leak

I have noticed trany oil at the bottom of the bell housing 10,000 miles on my 06. Clutch not slipping yet. Woundering how much time do I have before it does?
First couple of times I would wipe off the bell housing with brake clean so its dry come back after a couple hundred mile ride and oil film is back.
Clean again same way. This time I take out elec center stand an drill weep hole in my bell housing I thought I would see oil dripping out .
No oil comming out weep hole. Yet oil keeps comming back. My question is ? Is there another area where trany oil can come out that I missed because it doesn't seem to be comming out the weep hole? But oil is reappearing after every ride.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 9:10 pm

Re: trany leak

Warranty?

I would wash it VERY well, then ride to see where coming from.

It is possible oil is coming from engine oil filter cover, etc..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 5:30 am

I have a 2000 with 81K and it's been seeping for 2 years now. I too drilled a hole in the housing. Last year I used some industrial velcro and actually attached a small plastic tray under the hole with a 1/4" depth to it and one side open for access. Then I put in a piece of oil absorbant material in it so I can observe the leakage but it won't blow all over, and I can change the pad if needed. I call it my BMW tampon. I don't get much in the pad but without it, it looks much worse since it blows and spreads all over the underside. My clutch has not slipped yet and it does not seem to be getting worse. I have used synthetic oil since around 10K and am considering switching back to dino to see if it will stop for a while. I am prepared to do the job but not until unavoidable. There are many great members here that have done videos and guides on doing the work step by step should you decidde to tear into it.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 6:50 am

Thats how mine started at 30 K miles. Took 2 1/2 years and another 30 miles before the clutch started slipping.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 8:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If your clutch is not slipping it is most likely the engine seal. If the tranny was leaking it gets into the clutch much faster.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Mike,
You should be able to tell the difference between engine oil and tranny oil. Are you using conventional or synthetic oil(s)? Tranny oil is a much thicker oil and has a smell that is easily recognized. I have found that when I use synthetic engine oil I have to be careful not to fill the crank case too much. I only fill until the sight glass is 3/4 full. Synthetic oil will seep past seals when conventional oils don't. By keeping the oil a little low you are less likely to have oil seeping past the real seal and getting on the clutch. My '97 K1100LT was especially bad about this, but by keeping the oil at the 3/4 level I have gotten 104,000 miles out of the clutch and it still going strong. I have always run Mobil 1, 15W50. My newer K1200LT has a tough act to follow
Ride Safely,
Steve

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

I'm using conventional gear lube.
And it is gear lube i'm smelling I thought there mite be another way for the oil to get out . Possible vent ? No oil running down on the sides that I can detect.
Seems like its where the trany seam meets the bell housing witch is behind my drilled weep hole ..
Wally , I'm thinking along the same as you.
I "ll keep my eye on it . If it continues to get worse then I'll decide but if you got 2 years an no clutch slippage.. I'm going to take a chance.
Have you had to add any trany oil?: I have not. Again thanks for all your responces. This is a great site to have when you have questions Or just need some good advice.
Mike
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 2:51 pm

It is probably the output seal on your trany. I had same thing happening always after a ride there would be a few drops hanging from trany housing and spots on the floor after beeing parked for a day. My clutch never started slipping, but took it in soon after I noticed the leak
Mine started this spring and I now have confirmation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0709101534a.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	28121  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Jul 13th, 2010 at 2:58 pm.
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 6:27 pm

My trans leaks somewhere up around the starter , just one drop about the size of a nickle after a 200 mile ride gets to the garage floor . Is a lot worse with synthetic lube . Been leaking for 30K and 3 years now . Is there an oil seal around the starter snout where it goes into the trans ?

Bob G
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbob
My trans leaks somewhere up around the starter , just one drop about the size of a nickle after a 200 mile ride gets to the garage floor . Is a lot worse with synthetic lube . Been leaking for 30K and 3 years now . Is there an oil seal around the starter snout where it goes into the trans ?

Bob G

The vent port is right up on top just inboard of the starter, could be where it is coming from.

Each end of the starter has an o-ring on it, one on the engine end and one on the tranny end.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyo
...Last year I used some industrial velcro and actually attached a small plastic tray under the hole with a 1/4" depth to it and one side open for access. Then I put in a piece of oil absorbant material in it so I can observe the leakage but it won't blow all over, and I can change the pad if needed. I call it my BMW tampon.
Now see...I been trying to be quiet since I switched to the Wing, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA You know, you just can't make this stuff up! Honestly, that's about the funniest thing I've ever read concerning ANOTHER fix for an LT!

Forgive me...forgive me.... And, BTW, somewhere Dave Dragon is laughing too....

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in