Anyone ever consider something like this? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Anyone ever consider something like this?

While on my last trip, I got to wondering about rebuilding the dash panel on the LT. Forgive my ameturish attempt as photoshopping, but this is the idea. There are all sorts of gauges availible, and I would assume many could be made to work on the LT, such as these rectangular digital speedo and tach.
Anyone ever consider, or even try this?
Maybe I just have way too much time on my hands!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02365.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	28106  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Re: Anyone ever consider something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
While on my last trip, I got to wondering about rebuilding the dash panel on the LT. Forgive my ameturish attempt as photoshopping, but this is the idea. There are all sorts of gauges availible, and I would assume many could be made to work on the LT, such as these rectangular digital speedo and tach.

I will take one

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 3:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes, since I am also a pilot and am intrigued by the new glass panel airplanes, the idea of a glass panel on a bike like the LT is intriguing. However, I then think about the people I know who have Cirrus glass panel airplanes and have occasional failures where everything goes dark or parts other "bump in the night" problems occur and I decide I don't want all of my eggs in one basket ... even a very nice basket! :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 4:16 pm

All I can say is take a look at my avatar.......

I like it.

96 percenter Still.
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Well I'm sorry Todd, but as I do not see your gun control consul, I'm not sure I can take you all that seriously
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 5:18 pm

It's been a year or two ago, but Ari rebuilt the entire front of his cockpit, expanding/enlarging it to include... I don't know what. I just recall seeing some photos. I'm sure he'll chime in here. This is one of his favorite topics.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
It's been a year or two ago, but Ari rebuilt the entire front of his cockpit, expanding/enlarging it to include... I don't know what. I just recall seeing some photos. I'm sure he'll chime in here. This is one of his favorite topics.
No need to wait for Ari, he is the Farkle God..........new Dash below
http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...NGTHEDASHAGAIN#

The whole album of Farkles

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo

you will need a day to take it all in, the guy is mad as a bag of spanners, and I mean this in the nicest possible way. I'd love to live within a couple of hundren miles of this guy, coz I'd have the same or similar farkles.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Well I'm sorry Todd, but as I do not see your gun control consul, I'm not sure I can take you all that seriously
I had that request submitted, but with the economy the way it is......

96 percenter Still.
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Yes, since I am also a pilot and am intrigued by the new glass panel airplanes, the idea of a glass panel on a bike like the LT is intriguing. However, I then think about the people I know who have Cirrus glass panel airplanes and have occasional failures where everything goes dark or parts other "bump in the night" problems occur and I decide I don't want all of my eggs in one basket ... even a very nice basket! :-)
On all "real" glass planes there are a small set of standby instruments just in case the system does poop the bed. For these, you could leave a set of standby speedo and tach on the dash and have the LCD screen cover them. Then, in case of a total display failure, or at least the real important parts, you could remove the LCD display from the dash, hopefully with just two or three well placed screws, and resort back to your backup instruments.

'Course, you could also wait until the spring and get the 1600 GTL with the fancy dashboard already included. But I do like the way you think!
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
On all "real" glass planes there are a small set of standby instruments just in case the system does poop the bed. For these, you could leave a set of standby speedo and tach on the dash and have the LCD screen cover them. Then, in case of a total display failure, or at least the real important parts, you could remove the LCD display from the dash, hopefully with just two or three well placed screws, and resort back to your backup instruments.

'Course, you could also wait until the spring and get the 1600 GTL with the fancy dashboard already included. But I do like the way you think!
Yes, but partial panel in the soup flying a night approach to minimums is no fun at all! However, on a motorcycle the consequences of failure are simple inconvenience and not life threatening as can be the case in an airplane.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 11 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I don't want to take my eyes that far off the road to see the GPS. That's also the reason I don't like the placement of the GPS by BMW on the late model LTs. Except of the tach, I have heading, speed and time to next turn just a the bottom of my eyesight with the Garmin 478 sitting on a BMR shelf.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in