P.O. comment - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

P.O. comment

It is a great bike to take a long trip on------what I miss the most about the LT is the power it had-----very few if any people on cars or bikes ever passed me if I made that choice----it is cool to pass a flat out HD and as you pass shift into 5th---pisses them off a bit.

I find this to be very true.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Thumbs up Re: P.O. comment

LOL...............it puts a smile on my face!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Re: P.O. comment

Life is great. Is there anything any better than above mentioned. In all seriousness, we should makes cutting comments about those who have beautiful bikes left in the garage to get old without seeing many miles on their tires. What a shame.

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 5:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama
----it is cool to pass a flat out HD and as you pass shift into 5th---pisses them off a bit.

I find this to be very true.
What is even cooler is to roll up next to them with the cruise engaged, wave with your throttle hand as you accelerate away with the cruise.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:37 pm

I'm not sure what is about it...but to pass a harley makes my bike run better!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #6 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
What is even cooler is to roll up next to them with the cruise engaged, wave with your throttle hand as you accelerate away with the cruise.
Interesting. I didn't know others did that, too!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:58 pm

You guys are thinking too small. The best feeling I get is when I pass them, on a curve, on the inside, laid over, and waving as I go by.
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 10:25 pm

I'm just glad you guys can pass Harleys, 'cause I can't.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I love doing that! I was rolling down I-480 last week in the fast lane, cruise locked on 78mph, MP3 player blasting and my foot resting on the tip-over wing. came up on, and passed a squid wearing a backpack on a japanese crotch rocket of undetermined size. he was layed fully out on the gas tank, feet on the rear pegs, with his neck bent at an uncomfortable looking 90 degree angle as he peered out of his diminutive windscreen. I just laughed, shook my head at the ridiculousness in this world and waved as I passed. Good grief...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 6:42 am

To pass a Harley means that the remainder of my trip will be significantly quieter!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Well, I ride with a couple guys who have Wings and we see who has the faster bike from time to time.

If it is a dead stop they beat me off the line but if we are rolling, I am stifting out of first gear when they are shifting into 3 or 4th. What really makes them made though is when I shift from 4th to 5th as I go by them and they have nothing left.

It always puts a smile on my wifes face to beat these guys.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 4:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200
Well, I ride with a couple guys who have Wings and we see who has the faster bike from time to time.

If it is a dead stop they beat me off the line but if we are rolling, I am stifting out of first gear when they are shifting into 3 or 4th. What really makes them made though is when I shift from 4th to 5th as I go by them and they have nothing left.

It always puts a smile on my wifes face to beat these guys.
This works because you are riding against folks who don't know how to ride their Wings. The LT tops out in first gear about 60 MPH. The Wing will go more than 60 MPH in 3rd gear and even in 2nd. If these guys are shifting this quickly, they are leaving a lot of performance on the table.

And virtually every test I have seen of the Wing and the LT shows the Wing being quicker through the quarter mile and this is with speeds well above 60 MPH. The LT often has a slightly higher trap speed so it is gaining on the Wing at that point, but since the time for the Wing is quicker, the Wing is still ahead at the quarter mile point.

However, the fact that the LT has nearly comparable acceleration with only 2/3rds the displacement IS impressive!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 4:42 pm

My favorite pass came a few years ago.
Running on a four lane about 70mph, as I approach a Harley in front of me. He begins to speed up, I did the same. We did this a couple times a few mph at a time until we’re both running 85. After a short while of this he slows down and I pass with a friendly wave. Later down the road I pull in for fuel, and see the guy come in later behind me. He pulls up and says, “You know, I don’t race all these new bikes that are on the road anymore. But when you went by me you had your hand off the throttle and was eating something. I had to pull in and see what you were ridding.” We both laughed.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
My favorite pass came a few years ago.
Running on a four lane about 70mph, as I approach a Harley in front of me. He begins to speed up, I did the same. We did this a couple times a few mph at a time until we’re both running 85. After a short while of this he slows down and I pass with a friendly wave. Later down the road I pull in for fuel, and see the guy come in later behind me. He pulls up and says, “You know, I don’t race all these new bikes that are on the road anymore. But when you went by me you had your hand off the throttle and was eating something. I had to pull in and see what you were ridding.” We both laughed.
Now, that is funny!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #15 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:45 pm

OK, I have a question about the cruise, I know if you bump it forward it will increase 1mph at a time. What happens if you just hold it forward will it just keep accelerating?

1982 Suzuki SP500 (traded)
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
1998 Honda Shadow 750 (traded)
2000 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado (sold)
2007 BMW K1200LT (son will inherit)
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Wink Re: P.O. comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafirecapt
OK, I have a question about the cruise, I know if you bump it forward it will increase 1mph at a time. What happens if you just hold it forward will it just keep accelerating?
Yes.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in