Oil Sight Glass - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Oil Sight Glass

Next question from a new to LT guy. I thought my RT was hard to see the oil level, but this LT is even worse I use a flashlight, but still have trouble seeing the level.

I read in the book that it can be checked either on the side stand or on the center stand. On the side stand I see a line about 1/4 of the way up the glass. On the center stand I see nothing.

Comments please.

Has anybody ever considered taking a hole saw and cutting a hole in the outer cover so you could see straight into the glass?

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Wink Re: Oil Sight Glass

If your seeing 1/4 of the sight glass covered by oil on the side stand, then the reason you see nothing on the center stand is probably because it is completely covered by the oil, making it darker. I would say you're probably fine with the level, but it is possible that the glass is becoming dirty (they all do after a while!) and you can change it pretty easy. Plenty of posts here about that very subject.

HTH,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 12:57 am

Re: Oil Sight Glass

I aggree. Most of the time the glass is dirty and covered by dust and grease. Clean it before and you will be fine to check the level without problems. Always be carefeul not to have too much oil in your beamer!!!!!! Sidestand = full glass, center stand = half glass

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winghunter
I aggree. Most of the time the glass is dirty and covered by dust and grease. Clean it before and you will be fine to check the level without problems. Always be carefeul not to have too much oil in your beamer!!!!!! Sidestand = full glass, center stand = half glass

That is what I figured Rudy, but I wanted to hear from more experienced LT riders. It made sense that when the bike was upright, there would be more oil showing in the glass. The glass is clean, I just can't seem to get a good view of it. And, yes I am very careful not to have too much oil, I have seen what that can do on the boxers.

So, I assume that if there is any oil showing in the glass on the side stand, I have sufficient quantity.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 7:06 am

When my 2000 is on the center stand, I can see the oil at the top of the sight glass (with the engine off). Try this. While on the center stand and running, shut off the engine (while watching the oil level), you should see the oil gradually fill the sight glass. If it is completely covered, some say that it is overfilled. I assume that as long as the sight glass is not covered while the bike is on the side stand, everything should be ok.
On another note, when I change my oil and filter, I only put in exactly 3-1/2 quarts of oil, this way I save the other 1/2 quart for the next oil change. This has always worked for me.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Good info Mike, I'll try that with the engine running and then shut it down and watch. I haven't gotten to an oil change yet, according to the PO's service records I have about 3000 to go.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 8:51 am

Bill, there will likely come a time when cleaning the OUTSIDE of the sight glass will still not allow you to see the oil level. At this point you will have to physically remove and install a new sight glass. Instructions are on this forum.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winghunter

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just for fun after your next ride put it on the center stand while it is still running and look at the glass. It will be empty! Then watch the glass fill back up when you shut it down. Then you will understand why you can't see anything on the center stand. Crap! I just realised I double posted what Mike had said.

Also it shows that you would have to overfill by more than a full quart before you would see an issue. The bottom of the crank is 4 inches above the oil level in the sump when the engine is running.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Also it shows that you would have to overfill by more than a full quart before you would see an issue.
The bottom of the crank is 4 inches above the oil level in the sump when the engine is running.
What John said:
as long as you can see oil in the sight glass while on the side stand (high or low) you're good.

With the bike on the center stand and the oil level centered in the sight glass
it takes less than a pint to fill it to the top of the sight glass,
not enough to make any difference,

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in