Burning Oil & No Compression on #3 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 6:30 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Burning Oil & No Compression on #3

Steve R brought Dragon Fly over today to find out what was going on. The bike was running fine and had sat for a year before he bought it. He noticed the oil consumption was up but it was running great.

The dealer did a compression/leak down test and #3 failed. We were hoping for some stuck rings but alas she is in need of a new engine.

Pulled the cylinder head and all looked well there. Valves were in tact and none were burned. The piston looked to be missing a bit of material at the bottom. We were still hope full for an easy fix but noticed the NakiSil coating was worn off and there were groves in the cylinder wall.

Now remember she was running great just burning abit too much oil when you look at the pictures. The rest of the cylinders and pistons were fine in fact you could still see the cross hatch in the walls on 1,2 & 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#3.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	28086   Click image for larger version

Name:	piston.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	28087   Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinders.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	28088  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Re: Burning Oil & No Compression on #3

What a shame. Unless the piston just chipped off, looks like a small steel particle or rock got in there.

On another note, that is one reason I wanted a "brick" bike, they double as a great engine stand for top end or big end access.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Gold Supporter

Not too hard to imagine things coming apart with a max RPM accel with that type of damage.
Surprised it would not run a bit rough.
Good catch! I probably would have rode it until it stranded me on the side of the road.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Haven't been into mine, but can the cylinders be resleeved or have the nikasil resprayed? I know my niece works at a machine shop for the largest airline in the world and they plasma spray all kind of engine parts and junk like that, but I do not know if that sort of thing can be done to a BMW block. Would be worth looking into before buying a new engine/block.

Sorry to hear about your trouble and hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 9:23 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Steve has a lead on the engine out of his old bike that was totaled so there is no "new" in the works. This had been like this for several thound miles based on what I saw on the side of the piston. Just another tribute to the ability of the brick to withstand just about anything and keep going.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 9:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Steve R brought Dragon Fly over today to find out what was going on. The bike was running fine and had sat for a year before he bought it. He noticed the oil consumption was up but it was running great.

The dealer did a compression/leak down test and #3 failed. We were hoping for some stuck rings but alas she is in need of a new engine.

Pulled the cylinder head and all looked well there. Valves were in tact and none were burned. The piston looked to be missing a bit of material at the bottom. We were still hope full for an easy fix but noticed the NakiSil coating was worn off and there were groves in the cylinder wall.

Now remember she was running great just burning abit too much oil when you look at the pictures. The rest of the cylinders and pistons were fine in fact you could still see the cross hatch in the walls on 1,2 & 4.
How many miles on this engine? Any theory as to root cause? I would suspect detonation, but hard to know for sure. It also seems to have a lot of carbon on the pistons compared to other fuel injected engines I have had apart. Is this typical for the bricks?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 6:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
How many miles on this engine? Any theory as to root cause? I would suspect detonation, but hard to know for sure. It also seems to have a lot of carbon on the pistons compared to other fuel injected engines I have had apart. Is this typical for the bricks?
107435. At least that is what my brain is remembering after a good night's sleep. The LT engine is designed to run rich, so the carbon load on the piston heads or the cylinder head did not suprise me. I think the problem is/was a piston with a manufacturing defect not a detonation issue. Dave Shealey had a detonation problem and it affected ALL the pistons not just one.

The piston goes with me to the dealer this week and we'll see what the guys in the shop think.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 6:27 am

About that carbon load, any way to keep it to a minimum?
In my early years we used a bit of H2O to keep things on the upper end clean.
They're were things like methanol injectors ect.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 6:35 am

Not that I know of and why? These motors and their predecessors have a habit of going hundreds of thousands of miles without ever having to tear them down.

One of things that I forgot to mention in my previous post, was looking that the cylinder head there was a light brown ash colored spot in the middle of the head on cylinders 1,2 and 4 and thought what is that. It wasn't until I woke up this morning that I realized it was the spark plug.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #10 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 1:48 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Steve,

The more I think about it the more I am conviced it was something that got dropped in the intake the last time the TBs were removed. Logic makes sense that it would bounce arond in the cylinder and settle at the bottom. Thus the hole in the piston. I'll shake out the exhaust and see if I find anything. Could have been a small screw or rock. Anything bigger would have really done some damage based on the piston to combustion chamber clearance.
You saw how I filled those opening with paper towels. Well I also use a vacuum on them as well before hooking the TBs back up just in case something did fall in.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 4:23 pm

I've never had the throttle bodies off. The question is were they off some time in the past before I got the bike?

And wouldn't you have expected to see the tips of the spark plugs damaged if something had been dropped down in there? I didn't see anything on the tip yesterday and there was definately wasn't any damage from the set I pulled out when I got the bike.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Last edited by Steve_R; Jul 11th, 2010 at 4:28 pm.
post #12 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 5:32 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Judging from the condition (excellent) of the breather tubing I suspect that when that was installed is when it happened. Long before you got the bike. Just a small rock would have done it. Still I would be interested in what the dealer says. Oh the oil level in the sump was below the top (bottom?) of the oil filter. I could see the flats. Any luck with Tony yet?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 6:06 pm

Not yet.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #14 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 8:44 pm

John

Kind of hard to see what the failure mechanism might be - with all the carbon at the failure site. It seems to look like classic detonation fracture - but could also be foreign material - like you suggested.

Was premium fuel always used or was regular also used?

Jim

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 9:34 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Detonation can and will light or burn carbon and chip and dislodge it, or fracture the piston.

I would love to see that piston cleaned up.

I have always figured the LT would carbon easily due to the way the motor sits. And it going pig rich on full throttle.

Myself, I use Sea Foam pretty regularly 1 oz to the gallon. I know the spray fog from Sea Foam, through the throttle butterfly's while running, on a v-twin will clean the pistons all but spotless, and clear mosquitoes for miles.

I also know back in the day they used water like was mentioned.

What lead you to the leak down/ compression test? You said the bike was running fine?

Just curious if that should be put on a list at 75,000 or 100,000? I mean how else would you pick that up other then oil use?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:49 pm

I think there are shops that can do just that, but how do we get the bore back to the size it needs to be after the work is done. Plus to have that done would mean more down time. I'm already about 13,000 miles behind on my average for the year, so I'm looking for another motor. We may rework this one to have as a spare and the again, maybe not.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #17 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:53 pm

I took the pistion into the dealer this morning. Looking at it dirty they said detonation problem. They then voluntarily cleaned it up for me. So, Lee, ask and ye shall receive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston_1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	28116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston_2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	28117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston_3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	28118  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #18 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 2:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I took the pistion into the dealer this morning. Looking at it dirty they said detonation problem. They then voluntarily cleaned it up for me. So, Lee, ask and ye shall receive.
Unless they cleaned this with a hammer and chisel, I would say FOD is the root cause.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Nope, it went through the chemical wash to clean it up.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #20 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
The marks on the top of the piston could be from when the rings started to break up as the piston burned. My engine also has excessive leakage on # 3 cylinder (30%) past the rings. It's been that way for over 65,000 miles & the last time I looked at it with a bore scope the piston looked fine.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #21 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Just keep an eye on it. When you get to look at the top edge of the piston, there a pieces of the rings embedded in it.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in