Exhaust Rattle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Exhaust Rattle

Hi All,
This week I have had a chance to put a few miles in for the first time.
The bike ran fine but there is a very annoying vibration/rattle which appears to come from the exhaust system.
It is very noticeable when the throttle is just about open at around 2000rpm it will also appear if I blip the throttle whilst the bike is stationary.
I have checked the exhaust shield bolts they seem ok if I hit the exhaust with my hand I can hear the rattle but cant trace it.
I did a round trip of about 400 miles and the fuel economy was impressive.
The weather was so hot I wish that I didnt have a screen.
I have had the bike about 5 weeks now and am now getting used to the weight and low speed handling and stopping.
I have changed all of the oils and filter and replaced the spark plugs and the missing fairing screws and spark plug cover which had been left of by the last person to service the bike.
It wasnt much fun riding around the M25 in solid stop start traffic yesterday with the temperature at 31c but I got home eventually.
Any suggestions re the rattling/vibration would be gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Re: Exhaust Rattle

One place is the overlap of heat shield at frame mount if bolt is loose or shield is damaged.
Other could be if pipe it's self has cracked allowing some movement .... do a SEARCH on EXHAUST you should find lots of similar type posts .

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 4 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Look closely at the studs under the head, where it mounts to the head. If loose there or if you have a cracked pipe (not uncommon) you should see some evidence of exhaust leakage. If further back, it might be the catalytic converter, as its sealed inside the exhaust system, not sure if there is much you can do with that. Assume the heat shield is on tight. Loose or broken baffle inside the pipe.

That exhaust system is all one piece from front to rear.

B D R

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Exhaust pipe stubs broken where they go into the head is a not uncommon occurrence. Several of us have had this, and they can be welded. On mine, the front two were broken.

Loosen the exhaust stud nuts on all four cylinders, and see if you can rotate the flanges any at all. Any that are broken will allow the flange to rotate a little due to the clearance between the studs and the holes in the flanges.

The welds between the end of the pipe and the flange breaks, allowing the pipe to rattle even though the nuts are tight.

Another not uncommon problem is the weld between the catalytic converter and muffler sections cracking, but this is an exhaust leak problem, and does not rattle.

There have also been cases of the exhaust support breaking. That is the part that is bolted to the center stand support plate, and is connected to the muffler by a loop of heavy spring wire. The wire loop sometimes breaks, and can cause a rattle.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in