zapper - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 9:59 am Thread Starter

zapper

Hello out there.New to this site,and in need of some help.I am currently working on a K1200LT 00.Having prob.with cc.Seems to kick out when you hit a bump in the road.Also fixed broke wire in speedo.Now getting flashing abs on dash (alternating).Cked.res.level(ok).Need help with suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:04 am

Re: zapper

Probably bad shock... They only last so long on the big beast..

As far as the ABS goes, Make sure your battery has a good charge, A less than optimal battery voltage will trigger an ABS fault.. Also Look in the Hall of Wisdom to find troubleshooting procedures for the ABS....

There is also a reset procedure to clear the ABS if it's really locked out..

Start with battery and go from there.

Good Luck,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Probably bad shock... They only last so long on the big beast..

As far as the ABS goes, Make sure your battery has a good charge, A less than optimal battery voltage will trigger an ABS fault.. Also Look in the Hall of Wisdom to find troubleshooting procedures for the ABS....

There is also a reset procedure to clear the ABS if it's really locked out..

Start with battery and go from there.

Good Luck,

John
Thanks will look and try sugg.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:47 am

Hey, Don - does this description match the location and repair where you made your speedo fix??

"I removed the right side battery cover panel and taped a small plug in transformer next to the speed sensor, This would give a speedo reading with the bike stationary. Then I started wiggling the wires and immediately found the problem.

The sensor wire is tie-wrapped to the brake line to the rear wheel. Where the wire was fastened to the forward end of the rubber hose to the rear caliper, the sharp edge of the metal hose end had nearly cut through one of the wires. I spliced the wire, used heat shrink tubing on it, then put a piece of plastic tubing over it and re-fastened it to the hose."
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper
Hello out there.New to this site,and in need of some help.I am currently working on a K1200LT 00.Having prob.with cc.Seems to kick out when you hit a bump in the road.Also fixed broke wire in speedo.Now getting flashing abs on dash (alternating).Cked.res.level(ok).Need help with suggestions.
Did you check the front and rear resevoir? They get low relative to brake pad wear, as the pad wears the level goes down. It does not take much to make the lights flash.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:37 pm

My money is on your CC switch on the clutch lever going out of adjustment. There is a slight chance you may be rolling the throttle forward when (during) hitting the bump and knocking the cruise off, but all the trouble I had with my cruise started just as you describe. After complete loss of the cruise in the middle of a 5,000+ mile trip it turned out to be the clutch switch out of rig. Loosen the switch (under the switch cover) and move it ALL the way forward (I think, you'd better check in the HOW). I'll bet you'll fix it with that.

The battery is most likely your cause of the flashing ABS lights. If it's a wet cell over a year or so old, it's most likely on it's way out. I found that an Odyssey PC-680 will solve that issue for years at a time and about $50 less than a new gel battery from the dealer will cost.

As for the speedo, better take up Dick's track on that one. Good luck getting the sniggles ironed out on your bike, you'll have an absolute blast on it once you do.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMiller
Did you check the front and rear resevoir? They get low relative to brake pad wear, as the pad wears the level goes down. It does not take much to make the lights flash.
The bike in the OP is a 2000. 1999s, 2000s, and early 2001s have ABSII, which doesn't have a system to monitor the reserviors for fluid level. It appears that most of the flashing ABS lights occur from partially discharged battery and lack of brake line flushing. With the ABSII system, there probably isn't such a thing as too much flushing, but once a year will probably do it. Since there's no linked system, power boost, etc. like on the newer models, the ABSII system is easy to flush. Four Speedbleeders and it's even easier.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in