• 2 Post By UncleMark
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 5:19 am Thread Starter
cwo

Rubber Or Metal Valve Stems

Howdy

Adding a TireGard TPS to the LT. My valve stems are the short rubber ones. TireGard says to replace rubber stems with the metal ones.
A couple questions for you guys:

1) Is it possible to replace the valve stems without completely dismounting the tire??

2) Would leaving the original rubber stems on the tire be a safety issue??

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 6:02 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Rubber Or Metal Valve Stems

1) Is it possible to replace the valve stems without completely dismounting the tire??
No The stem goes in from inside the tire

Some may disagree but I say it is a safety issue. The rubber can flex with the extra weight on them. Beside I ALWAYS replace ANY rubber stem with metal ones

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 6:57 am

Metal!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:49 am

Metal.. straight, short.. don't need all that weight slingin around.. or hitting the brake caliper or other parts.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 8:50 am

Wink Re: Rubber Or Metal Valve Stems

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
No The stem goes in from inside the tire

Some may disagree but I say it is a safety issue. The rubber can flex with the extra weight on them. Beside I ALWAYS replace ANY rubber stem with metal ones
+1! Steve is right on the money here. I go with metal for the longevity and reliability. Never need to replace them, and they will not self destruct!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 8:58 am

We were almost killed by a cheap ass rubber 90degree valve stem..

Metal, Straight, Short...

Johnb

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 9:31 am

The stem on the front wheel of the LT looks a bit more shrouded by the rim, do the typical metal stems (retaining nut on top) fit fine in there? Or is there a specific metal stem that works?

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #8 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:27 am

I use Kurvy Girl stems... With these, I have had to make no alterations to the rim to accept the stem.

clicky

Light weight but tough... and I have not had one fail yet... for any reason...

You may be able to get these into the rim without removing the tire. Break the bead and compress the tire out of the way... remove the rubber stem and drop this one in...

I wouldn't do it that way but it might work... I carry two of these on the bike and in the event of a stem failure, that's how I would do it as a Shade Tree shoulder repair job...
kbob12 and Goose11 like this.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Agree...metal, short, straight. I used the ones that I link in one of my previous posts.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #10 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Metal of course, but you might be able to get them in by just breaking the bead. I have not tried it but these side walls are pretty stiff, if you have a tiny hand you just might pull it off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Metal of course, but you might be able to get them in by just breaking the bead. I have not tried it but these side walls are pretty stiff, if you have a tiny hand you just might pull it off.
Ditto... IIRC that's what I did when I first installed my metal valve stems years ago. It can be done, but a little bit of a pita. Break both beads, use a big C-clamp or something to push one side of the tire over to access the valve stem hole.
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 4:51 pm

I replaced mine with mettle steams from NAPA. I also did it with out completely dismounting the tire by using a piece of wood and a couple of C clamps. I have about 20K on them with no problem.
I had the rubber ones leak on me twice.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
We were almost killed by a cheap ass rubber 90degree valve stem..

Metal, Straight, Short...

Johnb
'Amen" to that! Our rubber 90-degree valve stem failed while we were OFF the bike, fortunately. This happened just a few weeks, IIRC, after John and Lindy had the accident he refers to. I replaced mine with metal valve stems. No problems since.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:32 pm

To me, there is no good reason to use rubber valve stems on a motorcycle, period. Too many failures reported, metal ones pretty much solve this once and for all. At worst, a metal one may develop a leak over time as the rubber seals deteriorate. They sure won't blow the metal stem out of the rubber as we have seen so many reports of here.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 6:50 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I added a TireGard to my GT 6,000 miles ago. I ran a SmarTire system on my LT, and have the factory TPM on my GT.

First, yes, do replace the rubber stems with metal. In fact, replace all rubber stems with metal, even if you don't add a TPM system. It's simply a safety issue.

Second, yes, this thing works very well, with a couple of usability caveats.

The pressure and temp readings seem to be pretty accurate, within 1/2 psi or so. Not bad at all. Replaceable watch batteries on the sender caps and an AAA battery on the controller are a good thing, and the price isn't bad if you shop around.

In fact, the replaceable batteries are why I went this route, even though my GT has the factory TPM. I've already replaced the factory wheel sensors once at great expense due to weak non-replaceable batteries, and the current set have pretty much died as well. The whole TireGard kit is roughly the cost of one BMW wheel sensor, plus I can easily swap the sensor caps to different wheels if I need to.

The sensor caps are light enough to not throw off the wheel balance, small enough to clear the brake calipers, and work very well.

The display head looks like a small alarm fob with a display. It reads the pressures easily, and shows temps with a simple button press. It also has a replaceable battery. You can set the alarm points for high pressure, low pressure, and high temp. The unit lights up, beeps, and vibrates for an alarm.

The weaknesses all lie in the display head. First, and most importantly, the display unit is not waterproof. Second, there is no permanent mounting option. Instead it has a small key ring and chain. But who could see the display or notice the alarms if it is dangling near your headstock, or stuck in your pocket? You could velcro mount the display somewhere, but again, not if it rains . . .

And third, there is a pic of a motorcycle on the screen, which is unnecessary. Dump the graphic and give me larger numbers instead. Maybe even pressure and temp readouts at the same time.

So if this unit had a better display, I'd give it a better rating. Still, it can provide valuable information that just may save you from suddenly being stranded by the side of the road, or worse . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 9:06 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
I use Kurvy Girl stems... With these, I have had to make no alterations to the rim to accept the stem.

clicky

Light weight but tough... and I have not had one fail yet... for any reason...

You may be able to get these into the rim without removing the tire. Break the bead and compress the tire out of the way... remove the rubber stem and drop this one in...

I wouldn't do it that way but it might work... I carry two of these on the bike and in the event of a stem failure, that's how I would do it as a Shade Tree shoulder repair job...
Me too! I used a dremmel and just smoothed that center lip on each side to accept the metal stems, 90 in the rear pointing left, short strait front.

They were provided with my Doran TPI.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #17 of 29 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 9:37 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with a good quality rubber valve stem,
BUT if the tire pressure monitor company specifies metal stems then that is the thing to do.
AND there is a long history of the BMW OEM valve stems being defective on some of these bikes.
I'll bet there are still bikes on the road with rubber BMW valve stems waiting to fail. And I wouldn't be surprised if some bad valve stems are still on the supply shelves of BMW parts departments and supply warehouses.
Change 'em out and don't get them from BMW; metal is a good choice IMO.

Now becoming ancient history:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=
post #18 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
Me too! I used a dremmel and just smoothed that center lip on each side to accept the metal stems, 90 in the rear pointing left, short strait front.

They were provided with my Doran TPI.
I was looking at the Moto-D at 11.3 mm. (0.453") on Amazon.
They seem a bit pricey, but look great.
The site specifically says that they will not fit a K1200LT (2003-2009), so what to get?

----------------------------------------------------
BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW K1200R: "Drophammer" 2006
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)

-----------------------------------------------------
post #19 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Garage

I can tell you that Harley metal stems from the parts dept at the Harley shop next to the BMW shop work fine and it only takes a few moments of getting rid of the ridge for them to work perfectly . I think the BMW shop charged me 60 for both of them to be put on, I took in the wheels in. Most any bike shop that changes tires will do it for you. The last pair I had mounted before the LT were also about ten bucks from a bike shop and no worries, the little ridge sometimes doesn't even interfere.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #20 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2019, 4:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I was looking at the Moto-D at 11.3 mm. (0.453") on Amazon.
They seem a bit pricey, but look great.
The site specifically says that they will not fit a K1200LT (2003-2009), so what to get?
I have had these on my 05 for several years now. They work fine and I did no filing of either wheel or valve.
https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...vdd2bjcn3aqcu5

The only issue I had was one in my rear wheel came loose a little and was slowly losing air. I found the problem when I bumped the stem with my hand while washing the wheel and heard a hiss of air. Apparently, I did not get the seal compressed quite enough. I try not to overtighten such fasteners as that often causes more harm than good, but I think I was a little light on this valve the first time around.

These are small which makes it easier to add air and the price is reasonable. And who doesn’t like a vendor named Kurvey Girl?
Ricky Chuck likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have had these on my 05 for several years now. They work fine and I did no filing of either wheel or valve.
https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...vdd2bjcn3aqcu5

The only issue I had was one in my rear wheel came loose a little and was slowly losing air. I found the problem when I bumped the stem with my hand while washing the wheel and heard a hiss of air. Apparently, I did not get the seal compressed quite enough. I try not to overtighten such fasteners as that often causes more harm than good, but I think I was a little light on this valve the first time around.

These are small which makes it easier to add air and the price is reasonable. And who doesn’t like a vendor named Kurvey Girl?
Your wife or mine, probably ROFL

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #22 of 29 Old Feb 20th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Your wife or mine, probably ROFL
My wife had a chuckle when the package arrived.
Ricky Chuck and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #23 of 29 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I ordered them from Kurvey girl,

and this is what they said:

The comments for your order are:

Thanks for the order..I have included that fitting exceptions for the BMWK1200 that are also listed on the website
Valve Stem Fitting Guide - BMW Fitting Exceptions
1999-2008
Interference issues between the valve body and the "rib" on rim.
The clearance around the valve body is less than 17.6mm.
The valves will not fit, without modifying the rim and/or the valve stem..
Please acknowledge that you understand these exceptions.
Please let me know ASAP so I can get your order shipped.

----

So, what did you do to make them fit?
Don't really want to modify my wheels... and be worried about safety...

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000

post #24 of 29 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 5:24 pm

You grind/file down the ridge to make enough room.
I’m sure there is a post somewhere. (Look Down)

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #25 of 29 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 8:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I ordered them from Kurvey girl,

and this is what they said:

The comments for your order are:

Thanks for the order..I have included that fitting exceptions for the BMWK1200 that are also listed on the website
Valve Stem Fitting Guide - BMW Fitting Exceptions
1999-2008
Interference issues between the valve body and the "rib" on rim.
The clearance around the valve body is less than 17.6mm.
The valves will not fit, without modifying the rim and/or the valve stem..
Please acknowledge that you understand these exceptions.
Please let me know ASAP so I can get your order shipped.

----

Don't really want to modify my wheels... and be worried about safety...

You ordered the short stubby chrome ones? Mine fit fine without modification. The larger cast aluminum ones would not fit.

Then again, maybe they changed suppliers.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #26 of 29 Old Feb 27th, 2019, 9:15 pm

I ordered 90 degree ones but I keep them turned mostly in now to make sure they don't hit a caliper. You can see where I did a poor job of grinding down the ridge so that the washer would fit flat on the rim. It is a spare that is not in great shape so I didn't take a lot of care as that is the least of the visual flaws on the wheel. This is what you need to make them " fit" if the washer doesn't sit flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0026.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	150133  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #27 of 29 Old Feb 28th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Garage

Lots of good advice, here is another two cents:

1. Yes, there is nothing wrong with rubber stems but they should be changed every few years.
2. Even with metal stems the seals need to be inspected/ replaced every couple of years.
3. Anything that adds weight to the valve stem is suspect, including a TPMS that mounts to the stem.
4. Good experience with Kurvy Girl and her 90 degree stems.
5. Yup, I got the wrong stems and had BOTH stems hitting the calipers on my Road Glide. No horror story other then the big, hard knot in my stomach when I realised what was going on. My Roadie still had the paint scraped off the rear and right front calipers in a very clean arc when I sold it. WELL worth checking before you ride.
6. #5 is why I can confirm you can change stems by breaking one bead.
7. I was slow coming on board but I was wrong, TPMS is a very good idea and maybe even should be required. Finding out you have a nail in your tire by way of a little winky light on the dash is way, way better than finding out because the rear wheel tries to pass the front, first on one side and then then on the other. Then there is thinking about how things would have gone if you'd been in traffic...

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

post #28 of 29 Old Mar 8th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Bought two sets of 90 degrees stems for the K12R/S
And a set of metal T-valves to run a tamper-proof TPMS external sensors, that also allows to refill without taking the sensors out.

I’ll report when installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW K1200LT 2007
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000

post #29 of 29 Old Mar 11th, 2019, 5:05 am

I use the metal stems from O'Reilly's. I did not want to modify the rims so I made SS spacers to get the nut off of the ridge in the rim.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in