Upshift to 2nd gear unreliable? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Upshift to 2nd gear unreliable?

Hi everybody,

Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is starting to become somewhat unreliable. I have a 2006 LT and just had the 24K service done at the local dealer. I've experienced "missed" 2nd gear (remains in neutral) before, but now its seems more frequent.

At first I thought I just wasn't going far enough with the foot shift lever, but I've been watching the gear indicator and it definitely says "2" when I release the clutch... then I hear the high pitch whine of engine spinning free in neutral.

Shifting from 2 to 3, 4, 5 and all downshifting is perfectly smooth. Its only 1st to 2nd that's a problem.

Anybody experience similar, or know what's involved, or common cures. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

- Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 1:18 am

Re: Upshift to 2nd gear unreliable?

First thing I'd check is the shift linkage, You could also check with the dealer you had the service done with, and find out if they check, clean and lube the shift linkage as part of the 24K service...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:17 am

Clean, lube, and adjust shift linkeage as necessary..

Then learn how to shift....

Put a little up pressure on the shifter prior to clutching...

When you clutch the shift will be much more positive and usually goes right in...

I miss that shift sometimes too.. Not to worry...I hate to say it's normal... But.....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 25 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:08 am

Don,
I am sure if you have ridden this bike for 24K miles you know if it is shifting differently than it used to. Cleaning and adjusting the linkage would be the best place to start. I have found that my LT shifts slightly differently than any other BMW I have owned. I learned a long time ago that BMW's require a little "pre-load" on the shifter before clutching. On my LT though, I have found that it actually shifts smoother if I release the clutch before I let the pressure off the shift lever. Also, the LT seems to require winding 1st gear out further and getting the RPM's up before shifting. The LT just seems to like being hot rodded more than my older K1100LT. Good luck.
Ride Safely,
Steve

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #5 of 25 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 2:31 pm

I have the same problem, only shifting from 1st to 2nd.
First time it happened I had only had the bike for a few days and was really worried something was wrong with the tranny. It happened a couple times after that but now I leave the shifter in the up position till I have released the clutch. and haven't experienced it since. I can't say for sure if thats the reason it hasn't happened, but so far so good. At least now I know it's just a "quirk" on the LT and not a major repair.

2000 K1200LTI
post #6 of 25 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Preload the shifter before rolling off and squeezing; more hit than miss.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 25 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am

The preload is one way, but I've found that I was not winding her up enough in 1st. After getting a few more RPM's turning, she shifted almost every time smoothly. Plus, it's just more fun

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #8 of 25 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 4:18 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Mine does it sometimes. I can feel two clicks or little bumps when I shift into second. If I let the clutch out before the second click is felt it is sometimes in neutral or jumps out of second gear back to neutral. Mine has done it since I got the bike at 47,000 miles & now at 115,000 miles it is the same.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 25 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:39 pm

Just went out for a short ride to get fuel and after turning onto the highway, I couldn't get out of first gear. I had to wind up the revs to get going so I wouldn't hold up traffic. Thankfully my turnoff was only 1/4 mile down the hwy. Pulled into a small shopping centre and the shift lever was limp and I could move it up or down but not change gears.
So I rode the few miles home at 4000 to 5000 rpm in first gear and parked it the garage. Will have to look at it tomorrow morning. I printed out the shift lever parts diagram so once I crawl under there I might see what is missing or disconnected. Hopefuully I can do this repair myself because my dealer is about 15 miles away.
Looks like it could be a ball pin may have come loose or broke. Just guessing at this point!
What [email protected]#%@&.
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #10 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12smitty
Don,
I am sure if you have ridden this bike for 24K miles you know if it is shifting differently than it used to. Cleaning and adjusting the linkage would be the best place to start. I have found that my LT shifts slightly differently than any other BMW I have owned. I learned a long time ago that BMW's require a little "pre-load" on the shifter before clutching. On my LT though, I have found that it actually shifts smoother if I release the clutch before I let the pressure off the shift lever. Also, the LT seems to require winding 1st gear out further and getting the RPM's up before shifting. The LT just seems to like being hot rodded more than my older K1100LT. Good luck.
Ride Safely,
Steve
Technically, Don didn't say he had put all 24K miles on the bike, just that he had the 24K service done, but I like your suggestions. I notice the same thing w/ my 99 I just purchased, so I'll be trying these techniques next time I get a chance to ride it.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #11 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Technically, Don didn't say he had put all 24K miles on the bike, just that he had the 24K service done, but I like your suggestions. I notice the same thing w/ my 99 I just purchased, so I'll be trying these techniques next time I get a chance to ride it.
Don bought it in January of '09 ... according to that post.
I still don't think one should have to know anything more than 1 - Pull in clutch; 2 - Tap shifter up; 3 - Let go of clutch.

German engineering?

- Joe
post #12 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 12:27 pm

My '05 has > 122,000 miles, and it loves to and be revved to at least 3000 before I shift. Below that, it is somewhat "clunky". The lower rpm's is where I hit neutral instead of second sometimes. My '85 K100RS was almost identical in that respect.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #13 of 25 Old Mar 4th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Garage

If the shifting issue is simply going from 1st to neutral, take the footpeg plate loose, look for the small pins that hold the "cups" on, pull them aside and out. Just one side will suffice. and shorten the "throw" of the linkage. While your at it, clean the linkage with brake cleaner or what not. Grease the "cups" and put it back together. Simple fix.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #14 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 6:56 am

Thats what happened with my newly bought 02 LTC with about 8k miles on it, out in Boise ....2nd gear starts getting "crunchy" and hard to engage, next thing you know the ball is busted on the linkage and you are stuck in whatever gear.

I rode up to twin cycles in Boise in 2nd gear all the way (about 2 miles from my motel at the time) and they fixed me up. I always had it serviced at the dealer from there out.

I also purchased a complete factory set of linkage to carry with me, which I never used all the way to 135k miles of course
post #15 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Thats what happened with my newly bought 02 LTC with about 8k miles on it, out in Boise ....2nd gear starts getting "crunchy" and hard to engage, next thing you know the ball is busted on the linkage and you are stuck in whatever gear.

I rode up to twin cycles in Boise in 2nd gear all the way (about 2 miles from my motel at the time) and they fixed me up. I always had it serviced at the dealer from there out.

I also purchased a complete factory set of linkage to carry with me, which I never used all the way to 135k miles of course
Well, that sounds like my luck. I just paid nearly $400 for extended warranty for my laptop, and I'll probably never need it.

I might be interested in buying your extra linkage if you want to part with it.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #16 of 25 Old Mar 5th, 2012, 11:39 am

I have that once in a while, even with pre-loading...but NEVER have it if I run her to 4,000 or more before the 1-2 upshift.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #17 of 25 Old May 11th, 2013, 3:57 am

In 1st...
I bring it up to 4000 and it feels like there is no clutch and Im shift without a clutch. Its ruff and not smooth at all.

Get this.. I turn that little screw (grub screw) on the clutch handle a little and pulled on the clutch.. the clutch got stuck, and I shifted into 1st and 2ed at a stop... it would not engage or move the bike when the clutch was out. I backed it out about 1/3 turn and its working again. but it just dont feel right.

Any info on that screw on the inside of the clutch handle???

I just looked it up .. they call it a "Grub Screw" wow...

post #18 of 25 Old May 11th, 2013, 11:10 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is not a grub screw. That is an adjusting screw for free play in the lever. It has no real bearing on clutch movement unless you don't adjust it correctly. Illustration is the brake but t is the same for the clutch side.

First gear is good up to about 62 mph then you hit the rev limiter. If you are new to the LT it takes a while to master smooth shifting. I always preload the lever(shift) with my toe before I roll the throttle off and pull the clutch and she will just pop right into the next gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lever.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	38489  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; May 11th, 2013 at 11:19 am.
post #19 of 25 Old May 11th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
That is not a grub screw. That is an adjusting screw for free play in the lever. It has no real bearing on clutch movement unless you don't adjust it correctly. Illustration is the brake but t is the same for the clutch side.

First gear is good up to about 62 mph then you hit the rev limiter. If you are new to the LT it takes a while to master smooth shifting. I always preload the lever(shift) with my toe before I roll the throttle off and pull the clutch and she will just pop right into the next gear.
Check out "part 13" in this list and you'll see that BMW calls it a "Grub Screw".

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=32_0929

its also call the same on the brake side.. "part 18"

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=32_0930

I guess that my point is that you cant speed shift it at low RPMs..

post #20 of 25 Old May 11th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Go to www.illinoisbmwrider.com The president kirk Johnson made DIY videos on the KLT. One is shifter linkage maintenance. I just did it last night. I makes a difference.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #21 of 25 Old May 11th, 2013, 3:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashou812
Check out "part 13" in this list and you'll see that BMW calls it a "Grub Screw".

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=32_0929

its also call the same on the brake side.. "part 18"

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=32_0930

I guess that my point is that you cant speed shift it at low RPMs..

OK fair enough the parts list calls it a grub screw but that is usually a term BMW uses for the little cover screw on the bleed port on the clutch line. The BMW manual calls it an adjusting screw.

Shift linkage maintenance is always a good thing as the ball studs come loose they will snap off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #22 of 25 Old May 12th, 2013, 4:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
OK fair enough the parts list calls it a grub screw but that is usually a term BMW uses for the little cover screw on the bleed port on the clutch line. The BMW manual calls it an adjusting screw.

Shift linkage maintenance is always a good thing as the ball studs come loose they will snap off.
Just did the Shift linkage & balls. Just clean all them..when I was doing the O2 sensor in that area..

post #23 of 25 Old May 12th, 2013, 4:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216
Go to www.illinoisbmwrider.com The president kirk Johnson made DIY videos on the KLT. One is shifter linkage maintenance. I just did it last night. I makes a difference.
Love his videos... man he has some really good ones. .ty

Here is that video your talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-ysRHinLU

kirk Johnson @
Link: http://illinoisbmwriders.com/
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/illinoisBMWriders

Last edited by Rashou812; May 12th, 2013 at 4:11 am.
post #24 of 25 Old May 12th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Had the same issue, took it in to the dealer and was able to talk with one of the Service Techs about the issue he made a simple suggestion change the gear box lube to a synthetic his reasoning was that the synthetic was quite a bit more slippery and doesn't break down like normal gear lube, I have no idea if his reasoning was correct but it did fix the issue haven't had a issue with shifting since.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #25 of 25 Old May 13th, 2013, 1:31 am

I did a test and did a preload on the shifter and that worked a little better. rmps in first at 4500 worked nice.. it really just dont like them low rmp shifts..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in