Navigator II screen delaminating - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Navigator II screen delaminating

The screen on my BMW Motorrad Navigator II has started to flake off as though the outer thin layer has gone bad. Has this happened to anyone else and is it repairable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Re: Navigator II screen delaminating

The time comes when the lamination starts coming off all of the older Garmin units. This usually causes touch screen problems. You can send the unit into garmin and they will fix it up for a small fee or....
Just clean the screen up and take all the lamination off that you can. I've done this to two units, an Nav 3 and a 2730 both are still working great. That is after cleaning the screen up real good.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Yes, Sir

unfortunately it is a known issue. I had the same thing happening to mine back in 2006 and luckily the unit still was under (2 yrs) warranty so my local BMW dealer replaced it with a BMW Nav III (Garmin 2720 ).
They also pointed out that extreme care should be taken when touching the screen, especially when it is wet.

Your unit is of the age that I doubt that repairing the screen is not worth it anymore.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:23 pm

At the risk of offending you, I think it's time to replace the old girl. And you'll be glad you did. The newer Garmins are sooooo much nicer and faster. My 2820 is getting long in the tooth and yet, it's still way nicer than the Nav II (equivalent to the Garmin 2620).
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:48 pm

If you don't want to upgrade, the best thing is send it back to Garmin . They offer a flat rate repair that you can arrange for before you send it. We have had that same problem with some marine units as well.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:33 am
cwo

Howdy

My Nav II screen did the same thing. If it says "BMW Nav " on the unit (even though it's the same as a 2610) Garmin will not repair it. If you are still interested in repair, I do have the name of a Garmin rep that is skilled in BMW Nav units, and maybe he can be more help. Let me know if you want his name, and I will dig it up.

I decided to upgrade to the Zumo 660 which is getting a little cheaper...... bought mine from Amazon.com

The 660 comes with ram mounts, or if you want.... the mounting holes line up with the NAV II mount by the radio controls.

Hope this helps.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Navigator II screen delaminating

I finished flaking the coating off, cleaned the screen with Goo Gone and applied a universal screen saver. Everything working fine. Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 5:47 pm

I did same to mine... be careful about water under the cover... remove and dry when it gets wet.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 6:00 pm

If the Nav II is like the SPIII, it's not worth fixing. As others have said, the newer ones recalculate so much faster. I upgrades to the 2820 and it is amazingly quick. Next one though will probably be the 600 series. Nice big screen

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:24 pm
cws

Garage

My old 2610 starting flaking a few months back. Garmin said they wont fix.
Bought a cheap Windows based GPS off ebay as a throw-away to try, and can't believe how much more sensitive and fast even this thing is. Screen is poor in daylight, but a shade will help that, and the LT windscreen (V-stream) keeps 99.9% of the water off in the rain anyway
In the meantime, I pulled the 2610 apart last week, only a few screws to get to the screen. Peeled off the rest of the outer coating and cleaned the screen with Propanol. It seems to work just fine, but I'm not sure I want to go back to the sloooooowwwww response time and worse signal reception!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in