Broken rear shock, or more ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Question Broken rear shock, or more ?

2002 LT 41000 k

Traveling some really crappie back roads in Maine 2 up, after 1 particularly hard frost heave rear shock bottomed out hard, after that the bike continued to bottom out on the larger bumps and the real wheel would feel like it was bouncing along the pavement in a some what sliding manner for a second or 2 with a chattering sound and feeling. This happened often on the strong jolts before we found smooth road again, in 20 mi or so

My questions

1- Could I have done additional damage continuing to ride?

2- Besides shock replacement is there anything else I should have checked by the dealer?

3- Should I have the front shock done at the same time?

4- OEM or Ohlins ? Occasionally I'll get on it hard in the twisties when alone but
Also ride 2 up with the wife , 410 lbs total
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:49 am

Re: Broken rear shock, or more ?

Sounds like the shock blew.. You should be able to see oil on the top of it...

Ohlins are for sure better than stock... Way better..Get them with the proper spring to acommodate the weight when two up....

I'd do the both of them if I could afford it...

I don't think there's anything else to check. Maybe the swingarm bearings .....Just a shake...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:56 am

Re: Broken rear shock, or more ?

When I broke mine I really couldn't tell at first. I had an inkling something wasn't right because the bike went up on the center stand much easier and the rear wheel didn't lift fully with it (weight reduction). Visually didn't tell me much as it looked together and correct until the FD went and when it was hoisted onto a lift for inspection it literally fell apart. If the swing arm is dropping further than expected then things are not being held where they should and it should be replaced unless it has simply pulled itself out of it's threaded U-bracket, then it might be salvageable if it hasn't worn into itself with the loose movement (aluminum casing). I would pull enough to get a full inspection and remove /repair/replace to be safe. I sure wouldn't want a rear shock failing to hold together 2-up!

I would do both together, and am considering Wilbers because the rebuild is more realistic to me.

2012 K1600GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in