Let's play a game, What intercom system do I have? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 7:40 am Thread Starter

Let's play a game, What intercom system do I have?

I have not used the COMM system at all since I purchased my 2000 LT w/50K miles 6 months ago.

After performing a complete fluid change. (I changed every fluid I could find) and brake line replacement along with a few other items, it is time to move on to the COMM system.

I have searched and searched the threads and come up blank on what I have?

I do believe that it is not factory since my model appears to be a base model and in 2000 the base model did not have any of the "options".

If you can point me to the model of the COMM system I have and a manual I would be grateful.

Also what headset cords I need to get? I am not sure I would use it as a two up since my SO is afraid of the bike to the point she let me build a wall to partition off the motorcycle area from her Prius. (a bonus for me since I now have a complete work area all to myself )

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0008.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	28057   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0007.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	28058   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0006.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	28059   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0005.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	28060  

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 8:37 am

Cool Re: Let's play a game, What intercom system do I have?

well Paul, I'm afraid you have the very early version of the BMW Comm System. It is either a BC-1 or BC-2. There were a lot of problems with them, and there was only a certain type of headset that seemed to work with them. I forget what the differences between the two were, but the stark panel is the indicator it is one of them. I believe the adjustment pots were a little different between them.

They finally came out with one that they called the BC-3 Comm System, by J&M Corp. and it was a winner overall.

I am attaching a couple of pdf files that may, (or may not) help.

HTH,
John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BC-1 Manual.pdf (96.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf BC-2 Manual.pdf (947.4 KB, 55 views)

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Re: Let's play a game, What intercom system do I have?

I recently bought a 2000 LT with the BC1 COMM system. I believe you may have the BC2, as it is slightly different from mine. But just a warning, I purchased the J&M headsets (which cost me 350 big ones) and some lower cords to fit the 6 pin OEM outlets on the bike. After purchasing the headsets and a custom install in our helmets, I plugged them in to the bike only to find that the COMM system was wacked out. It did work, if you want to call it that. It would play on the left side for a while, then the right side for a while and the side it wasn't playing from would hiss, when talking everything hissed, they were too annoying to even use. After conversing with several members here and reading some archived threads, I found that the units are known to have issues and they can most likely not be repaired. The manufacturer went out of business after BMW quit using them in their bikes so no one will even work on them. I have found some newer BMW systems, the V.O.I.C.E. Comm system BMW went with on later models. I think I have seen them on line at Sierra BMW and if I recall correctly, they were asking about $900.00 dollars. I personally went with an Autocom system for about 250.00. It is an easy install and seems to do the job. I would recommend testing out your unit before you purchase your headsets. By the way, I do still have the J&M headsets and if you find you system operational, I would make you a good deal on them. Good luck with you Comm system!!

2000 K1200LTI

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 3:22 pm

I installed what seemed to be a very simple Autocom and am still very pleased with it's performance. If what you have doesn't work and you decide to replace it, there are several others that also seem to get high remarks. The after market com units are quite easy to install and have a lot of nice features. If I had to do it again, today, I'd go in the direction of Bluetooth.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I installed what seemed to be a very simple Autocom and am still very pleased with it's performance. If what you have doesn't work and you decide to replace it, there are several others that also seem to get high remarks. The after market com units are quite easy to install and have a lot of nice features. If I had to do it again, today, I'd go in the direction of Bluetooth.
Dan, can you explain what you mean by go Blue Tooth?

Most of what I have is blue tooth.

I have the G4 Scala rider already for myself.

Paul

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:09 pm

I think that there are Bluetooth communication systems available. My Autocom is attached to my helmet with a cable.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I think that there are Bluetooth communication systems available. My Autocom is attached to my helmet with a cable.
OK got ya.

since I have the Scala Rider already, I would like to have a bluetooth radio. The closest I have is that the Scala has bluetooth, the Garmin I ordered has blue tooth and MP3 player and will sync to my Scala rider,

I think I am set, except for the CB which i have not used yet.

post #8 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Garage

I am hooked up same as Dan, I have just taken all my cb gear "off" after 8 years I have replaced more batterys in the cb than talked on it, I can hear the music fine straight out of the speakers, and now use a scala Q2 teamset with the missus, good thing is when she is on her own bike as you would know we can still talk to each other, If I want the cb I will put it in my pocket and use ext mike with speaker

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
I am hooked up same as Dan, I have just taken all my cb gear "off" after 8 years I have replaced more batterys in the cb than talked on it, I can hear the music fine straight out of the speakers, and now use a scala Q2 teamset with the missus, good thing is when she is on her own bike as you would know we can still talk to each other, If I want the cb I will put it in my pocket and use ext mike with speaker

Linton, what kind of CB do (did) you use?

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:11 pm

I also 'inherited' a used bike with that communication system, and tried to figure it out, get tangled in the wires every time we got off the bike, etc. Our solution; Interphone wireless headsets, they have been the perfect answer to our conversations for the past three years. When solo, i keep it connected to the Zumo 550, and my Iphone, and this has been a simple and inexpensive fix. No wires, charges in a short time, we can hear each other just fine. I've never wanted music in my ears, so the mono doesn't bother me-I hear the new set is stereo however.

i put all my wires, and pins and headsets for sale and they went quickly.

dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in