EBC rear disc rotor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

EBC rear disc rotor

The EBC rear rotors have been out for a while now. Does anyone have 25,000 mi on one yet and are the still quiet and are they holding up good? chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Smile Re: EBC rear disc rotor

I have had mine at least that long, if not longer, no problems at all, only thing I had to do was use 2 spacers when I installed it, other than that it has been quiet. Very happy here.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Re: EBC rear disc rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
I have had mine at least that long, if not longer, no problems at all, only thing I had to do was use 2 spacers when I installed it, other than that it has been quiet. Very happy here.
Same here. 2 Spacers and well over 25K and everything is great.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:47 am
Ted

Had mine over 2 years and about 17K and all is quiet.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #5 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 2:56 am

Good to hear as I ordered one just a week ago.

What spacers did you use?

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 8:26 am

Smile Re: EBC rear disc rotor

This is the shim between the wheel and the final drive. part number : 36311451791

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

Last edited by sheldan2; Jul 7th, 2010 at 9:52 am.
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

I probably have over 40,000 miles on mine and not a sound. 2 spacers.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Garage

dazza my ebc has done 80km not a peep always use their pads bed in hard when new do a lap around the block make sure no one is behind a ride the foot brake while holding on the gas to maintain speed then let her come to a stop after a circuit go for a ride and let the temp come back down to normal, I still have 1 spacer I thought they kept the tyre off the swing arm

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
dazza my ebc has done 80km not a peep always use their pads bed in hard when new do a lap around the block make sure no one is behind a ride the foot brake while holding on the gas to maintain speed then let her come to a stop after a circuit go for a ride and let the temp come back down to normal, I still have 1 spacer I thought they kept the tyre off the swing arm
Thanks Linton,

So, you are just using the one spacer, the same as you would with the BM rotor?

BTW, I bought the rotor and two sets of their pads, one set to stick on the shelf for later....

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:58 pm

I have a new EBC rotor and pads in the garage waiting for the temps to cool a little so I get it installed.

One question, everyone here says to bed the new pads in with several hard applications, but the instructions on the EBC box say to bed the new rotor in with gentle stops for the first few miles. What should I do???

When you say "two spacers" does that mead the original and one additional? Where is the clearance problem?
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:41 pm

After only 23k mi. the rotor buttons had worn so badly the disk started to throw the entire balance of the rear wheel out so bad I could not see out of the mirrors. Will I, did I buy another? Never! Those of you who have them keep a close eye on it.

In the beginning the price and quiet operation had me convinced. Then all hell broke loose and it scared the crap out of me when I saw how worn it was compared to the stock one with around the same miles. ( If it sounds too good to be true .......)

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I too will go with an EBC rotor. chip
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: EBC rear disc rotor

I use two spacers due to mine being one of the earlier EBCs and my problem wasn't it dragging the wheel on the swingarm but the unit was tight against the wheel hub spokes.

"In the beginning the price and quiet operation had me convinced. Then all hell broke loose and it scared the crap out of me when I saw how worn it was compared to the stock one with around the same miles. ( If it sounds too good to be true .......)"

I do not remember hearing anyone else having problems with premature wear with the EBC. Maybe someone just got a bad one.
My .02

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 10:57 am

I have what must be the newer rotor and only used 1 spacer as well (stock configuration). I am MORE than happy with it, after 14K miles along with a set of EBC pads.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #15 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 1:30 pm

EBC sucks! I had one of their rear disc and it didn't fit right at all. It would tighten up to the wheel hub, but instead rub on the spoke part of the wheel. It put the entire assembly in a bind. Now it is a "know" problem and most use two spacers, but back then we were on our own to figure it out. Several emails to them and got the run-a-round. So EBC sucks!

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in