Low speed sputter? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

Low speed sputter?

My 03 LT sometimes will hesitate or sputter a little if accelerating after slow speed driving. It has new plugs,valves ajusted,cansectomy,new vacuum lines,I resynced the throttle bodies,new fuel filter,reset the TPS,what am I missing that could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 7:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Low speed sputter?

I guess you need to define slow speed. If you are cruising along at 35 in 4th gear I would expect a sputter. You have loaded up the engine. Try a lower gear next time before you accelerate. She has very little torque and power below 3,000RPM.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:46 pm

What John said! Better at 4000 and a blast at 5000! She don' accelerate worth poop below 3000

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:47 am

It's hot outside....have you cut the brown wire? Mine did that, especially when coming out of a turn before I snipped the brown wire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Say I`m pulling up to a stop sign and almost stop but roll on through and then gas it,it will sputter then take off. Another example,1st gear stuck behind a older person on our small town streets going 10mph finally get chance to pass,accellerate and it will sputter. By sputter I mean it will miss a few beats. It did not use to do this. Brown wire was cut long time ago.
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 7:31 am

Have you run injector cleaner through the bike? Or had the injectors cleaned cars will do the same thing when they start getting fouled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster
My 03 LT sometimes will hesitate or sputter a little if accelerating after slow speed driving. It has new plugs,valves ajusted,cansectomy,new vacuum lines,I resynced the throttle bodies,new fuel filter,reset the TPS,what am I missing that could be causing this?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 9:22 am

As mentioned, you might consider snipping the brown wire which will activate the alternate fuel map that many claim is better suited on bikes in warmer climates.

An alternative is to unplug your air temp sensor....but it's tricky to access it, and most need to remove a bit of plastic to do so. The air temp sensor is located underneath the stingray, left side of bike, and is mounted to the air box. If you look behind your left radiator, you might see it (two wires). Many have experienced improvements by unplugging this sensor.

Some additional info in this thread, and in this attachment.

Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Have you run injector cleaner through the bike? Or had the injectors cleaned cars will do the same thing when they start getting fouled
Chris,

I would try putting a can of 'Sea Foam' in it over a couple of tanks of fuel. Had on old and wise mechanic swear by it--I tried it in my Yamaha which was missing bad...started my second tank and suddenly she took off! I'm a believer now. It will absolutely clean your bike's fuel system.

Wade

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #9 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

I just put injector cleaner in but I will try some sea foam.
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Quote:
I just put injector cleaner in but I will try some sea foam.
It might take a couple tanks before it's in tip top shape...hope this helps your problem. Keep us posted.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #11 of 15 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 8:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
It has new plugs,valves ajusted,cansectomy,new vacuum lines,I resynced the throttle bodies,new fuel filter,reset the TPS,what am I missing that could be causing this?
If you did all this after it started sputtering I am clueless othr than to say if you did the canisterectomy then you need to just plug all the vacuum lines as they now have no function. May have induced a leak there. I would re-check the plugs for loading up as well. When you re-synced the TBs I hope you left #4 as the master (the rearmost).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 8:03 am

The other thought that comes to mind is your Fuel filter how long has it been since it was replaced

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
Chris,

I would try putting a can of 'Sea Foam' in it over a couple of tanks of fuel. Had on old and wise mechanic swear by it--I tried it in my Yamaha which was missing bad...started my second tank and suddenly she took off! I'm a believer now. It will absolutely clean your bike's fuel system.

Wade
+ 1 on the Sea Foam

I am new to K bikes but use Sea Foam periodically in my RT. It is a miracle cure. I just put the first dose of S F in my LT.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Brand new fuel filter.
When I synced the throttle bodies I can`t say for sure but I think #1 and #2 were the only ones I ajusted. None of them were of by much at all but it did make it idle smoother.
I did plug the line going to the throttle bodies but left the one going to the gas tank open.
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Quote:
....... snip
I did plug the line going to the throttle bodies but left the one going to the gas tank open.
........ End snip

This is the proper procedure

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in