New to me LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

New to me LT

Just took delivery of my 99 LT today and love it. I have a lot to learn about it and am having quite a time trying to interpret the manuals which are all German und mine duetsch ist nicht gut.

I saw somewhere that the LT should be kept above 3k RPM, is this correct?

I am confused about all the different comments about Radial vs Bias ply tires. It has Metz 880 radials on it now. What should it be and what is the recommended tire pressure in hot weather. Currently running 42 front and 46 rear.

I had a dead battery in the key fob and replaced it. Deciphered enough German to stop the alarm.

I'll look forward to hearing from Y-all.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Re: New to me LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Just took delivery of my 99 LT today and love it. I have a lot to learn about it and am having quite a time trying to interpret the manuals which are all German und mine duetsch ist nicht gut.

I saw somewhere that the LT should be kept above 3k RPM, is this correct? The performance is soooo much better if you shift at 4K RPM's or higher. 6-8 K is even more fun!

I am confused about all the different comments about Radial vs Bias ply tires. It has Metz 880 radials on it now. What should it be and what is the recommended tire pressure in hot weather. Currently running 42 front and 46 rear. Check to make sure they are not older than 3-4 years old. There is a 4 digit date code on the tire. Example: 0407 Mfg in April 2007. Make sure the tires are correctly weight rated for the LT. It will be V rated and stamped with the letters REINF if you have the correct tire on the rear. Lt's are nimble but not dainty and require a reinforced sidewall tire. Tire pressure sounds about right.

Enjoy your new ride!!!

I had a dead battery in the key fob and replaced it. Deciphered enough German to stop the alarm.

I'll look forward to hearing from Y-all.

1 character

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
1 character
HUH?

Anywhoo, as all new members get.....Welcome to the asylum! enjoy your time here and ask questions. May not get the right one, but you will not go ignored. As for the manuals, not sure I've seen the German ones. if you need anything PM and I'll try to get them too you. Most all are asylum files...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 8:51 pm

After thinking about it for a couple of years, I bought my 99 this march. Love it, this forum will answer any questions you have. They did for me. Start with searching the archives, Most questions can be answered immediately, But feel free to ask.
Most search engines have language translators.

Enjoy the ride, I find myself going further and further with every time I'm on mine.

Bob
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 1:18 am

Congratulations on joining the fraternity of exalted riders. You will find your bike to be honest and forthright, will give you many thousands of miles of riding pleasure, will fill your heart and soul with peace and contentment...and will frustrate you, irritate you and, if you're not careful, bankrupt you. Seriously, I've found all of those things with mine. I've loved every minute of ownership, even when the bike was talking back to me. I can't think of a better way to spend 8 hours (or more) than riding my LT across any countryside. So enjoy, have fun, look to this Forum for plenty of ideas, no shortage of suggestions and good advice and even some constructive criticism. Ride safe.
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 3:55 am

Hi Bill,

welcome to the community.

Even if I am German, I do use an english handbook - sorry can`t help you but feel free to send me the German text that has to be translated for you. I surely appreciate to help you out.

Tire pressure for the Metzeler seems to be ok.

Alarm system: I assume it is a aftermarket system. Isn`t it? If so, you have to get in contact with the producer. I purchased my bike in the UK and have an aftermarket alarm system installed. It drives me crazy because it does not has any "Service Mode" or anything else to stop it.........

Enjoy your bike. You made the right and the only good choice when it comes to ride a Touring Bike

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #7 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winghunter
Hi Bill,

welcome to the community.

Even if I am German, I do use an english handbook - sorry can`t help you but feel free to send me the German text that has to be translated for you. I surely appreciate to help you out.

Tire pressure for the Metzeler seems to be ok.

Alarm system: I assume it is a aftermarket system. Isn`t it? If so, you have to get in contact with the producer. I purchased my bike in the UK and have an aftermarket alarm system installed. It drives me crazy because it does not has any "Service Mode" or anything else to stop it.........

Enjoy your bike. You made the right and the only good choice when it comes to ride a Touring Bike
Thanks Rudy and Hoss.
Hoss, I will PM you.
Rudy, I hadn't thought about the alarm system being after market. It all appears to be OEM and the book on it is Copyright by: BMW AG Sparte Motorrad. I did find an english section in that book, but I am still confused by the operation of it. I don't really want it but here it is. It has a key fob with 2 buttons and also an "INDUCTIVE" key. The previous owner said that he did not use the alarm, but that it does have an engine immobilization function and that scares me I am also concerned about changing the main battery in the bike and what will happen with the alarm. I would prefer not to have to carry that key fob all the time.

As for the manuals, I have the "RIDER MANUAL" in English. It is the "SERVICE und TECHNIK" manual that is in German and that is the one I really would like to find in English. I refer to the one for my RT a lot for oil capacities, bulb types, etc. I am sure all this can be found in the archives, but for me it is nice to have it all in a nice compact manual that can be carried on the bike.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Don't worry Bill the alarm is fairly easy to remove and bypass the immobilizer. It is well documented in the "Files" "Technical" section at the top of your screen. Just remove the top case and panel under it - unplug and jumper the connectors to eliminate the alarm altogether.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 1:09 pm

John, thanks. This is also new to me

best regards from Bavaria

Rudy
"Winghunter"
Administrator and Chairman of the MTCG
The European Motorcycle Touring Community
Motorcycle Touring Club Germany

- Forum

post #10 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John, that is good news. I really do not want the hassle of the alarm. I'll look in the technical files. So far I have struck out finding anything there, I keep getting "server not found" any idea what I am doing wrong? I seem to have the same problem doing searches on the ST forum too. My bad.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)

Last edited by Boatzo; Jul 7th, 2010 at 5:03 pm. Reason: add text.
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Garage

I have a fixed ip address from my isp. I have to run a proxy server just to view this site so I use mozilla for every other site, I just have trouble with bmwlt dont ask me why I dont know.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Don't worry Bill the alarm is fairly easy to remove and bypass the immobilizer. It is well documented in the "Files" "Technical" section at the top of your screen. Just remove the top case and panel under it - unplug and jumper the connectors to eliminate the alarm altogether.
John, I looked at the files on the alarm system and all the references were for newer model years than the 99. Is the procedure the same on the older bikes?

I want to change out the battery to a Odyssey PC680 soon and I am concerned that I won't be able to start the bike again.

Bill
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
)
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Welcome.

On my 07 LT, the Metzeler 880s are not radials. But I like them.

I just put an Odyssey PC-680 in. So far, so good. The PC-680 is 3/8ths of an inch less tall than the OEM BWM EXIDY that they come with, so you may need to find something around the size of trim boards, or some slightly less then half inch filler material to make the fit tight.

Keep in mind what as sturdy and resilient that dry cell PC-680 is, even Odyssey admits that parasitic drain from the bikes never quite off comm system and other farkles will pull it down.

All though my favorite way is to park it in the day time with they key turned to Park, so the lights are on. I have only done that fatally once and it took over 90 minutes of charging to get the batter up to where the starter would run.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in