Bleeders, Hint ,Idea. Need Help. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Bleeders, Hint ,Idea. Need Help.

I am trying to change the front brake fluid on a 06 LT. Just installed Speed Bleeders and using a vacuum pump and Paul Sayegh DVD.
Everything goes fine until I crack open the bleeder. Very little fluid comes out. tried it the old way with the brake lever with the same result. Is the ABS my problem and should I find a Dealer.

CCR here we come brakes or no brakes.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 6:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Bleeders, Hint ,Idea. Need Help.

If you did not have the key on you will get no fluid out of the calipers. Vaccum pump will not work here use the ABS pumps to push the fluid out. There are two separate circuits and the wheel circuit runs fluid out of the reservoirs on the ABS pump to the calipers. The fluid from the handle bar reservoir only goes to the ABS unit as a control signal. Look in the "Files" "Technical" area for Mark's article on integral brakes and my addendum for the 05 and up on the change in reservoir locations.
Addendum Mark's Article

I should have my brake flush video ready by CCR this year if you can wait until then.

This is not the best place for a post like this. Better to put it in the K1200LT forum

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Jul 4th, 2010 at 6:55 pm.
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I moved it John.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

John

Thank you for your advise, Purchased your video at ccr last year.
a ok. Never asked for advice before. won't do that again. just doing as I found in Similar Threads. looking forward to #4 ccr.and your dvd. my question was moved to somewhere by someone never to be seen again.oh well, thanks again.

Dennis
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 9:26 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Bleeders, Hint ,Idea. Need Help.

Hi John, I re-read your addendum. Very good points. I've just added a note to remind me that the inboard (1) reservoir is larger due to the increase volume of fluid required for the front brakes. 2 callipers verses 1 on the rear.
Last year I had my brake system bled (control and wheel circuits) at the dealer. Lucky for me they let me help them and I picked up a few tips.
The BMW reservoir tool they had did not fit my '06, something about not having an adaptor for that frame. I could see what they meant as a straight screw in fitting to the ABS reservoir would contact the frame. That was good in a way as the wheel circuits were bled using just a large syringe, something easy to have in the garage. Usual care about not letting the level drop too far and getting air into the system. There were three of us doing this job, I was operating the brake lever, just lightly, so the ABS was not delivering full pressure, and so not emptying its reservoir too quickly. One to undo the bleeders OEM and one to replenish the ABS. Worked fine although we were careful. Front / back similar.
Now the control circuits which were done first. The front first from the bar lever and then the back from the foot lever.
We undid the front brake master cylinder and using the syringe emptied the fluid. Just rotated the handle bars full, didn't worry about loosening the grip and rotating the reservoir. Filled with new fluid and then using a very slow pumping action the tech loosened the bled screws on the ABS, with a clear hose to clear the old fluid.
Thats where my memory gets hazy. There was a required order they were bled and I don't remember. I do remember the sequence was repeated several times, both for the front and rear control circuits. Guess I should have written this down. I do recall the last bled point was on the brake line above the ABS motor. Needed some type of an adaptor to fit
the OEM fitting.
If anyone can shed light on the correct sequence to bleed the control circuits on the ABS that would be much appreciated.
Looking forward to your video
Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 9:30 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is a sequence but that has been relegated to bleeding only now and no longer required for the flush. Just take fluid from the tall bleeder point on the ABS unit. There was a bulletin that changed that. I never got much contaminated fluid out of the other ports so I agree with the change. That last one was a fill adapter that they pulled fluid from. Again not necessary for a flush but required for a bleed after air has been introduced. The only item reqired for that fill adapter is a short 10mm bleeder. I bought one for the front calipers on the early bikes (Brembo calipers) and it works fine.

The Beemer Bone Yard funnel will fit IF you cut it about 1 inch above the fitting and put a short section of Tygon tubing (or any similar plastic tubing). That makes the funnel flexible and gets around the frame.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Bleeders, Hint ,Idea. Need Help.

Thanks John, just the tall ones, makes sense.

If the two short inboard bleeds are for the cross over internal ports, presumably used for residual braking or to activate the interlinked function, fluid volume there would be minimal.
That just leaves the two short bleeds next to each tall bleed.
What is their function ?
Are they just to bleed out air if introduced accidentally ?
If this is the case in what sequence ?
Logically any air bubbles would rise to the highest point, ie the taller bleeds, but that sounds too simple.

" There was a bulletin that changed that. I never got much contaminated fluid out of the other ports so I agree with the change. "

Any chance to a link / copy to that bulletin ? My service was done in Jan 2009, so the dealer was either unaware of the change or it came out later.

Sorry for all the questions, guess inquiring minds just need to know.

I'll look into obtaining some Tygon tubing, thanks again for the tip.

Cheers

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is the sequence 1, 2, 3, and 1 again.

The Bulletin was
Date: April 2006

Bulletin # 34 002 06 (019)

Sorry can't post it here. But Look here Stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	28047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	28048  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 19 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 9:34 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Many thanks John, just what I was looking for.
Cheers

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #10 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
If you did not have the key on you will get no fluid out of the calipers. Vaccum pump will not work here use the ABS pumps to push the fluid out. There are two separate circuits and the wheel circuit runs fluid out of the reservoirs on the ABS pump to the calipers. The fluid from the handle bar reservoir only goes to the ABS unit as a control signal. Look in the "Files" "Technical" area for Mark's article on integral brakes and my addendum for the 05 and up on the change in reservoir locations.
Addendum Mark's Article

I should have my brake flush video ready by CCR this year if you can wait until then.

This is not the best place for a post like this. Better to put it in the K1200LT forum
Did you finish the brake flush video? I don't recall seeing anything further on it, but I will be doing this for the first time this winter and would love to see the video first.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 19 Old Nov 7th, 2010, 9:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Did you finish the brake flush video? I don't recall seeing anything further on it, but I will be doing this for the first time this winter and would love to see the video first.
Yes I did finish it and it turned out pretty large. I got the 99-2004 on one DVD and the 05 + on a second DVD. I had it showing at CCR and had copies for sale at the silent auction. I guess I need to figure out a way to distribute here for the rest of the gang.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2010, 6:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes I did finish it and it turned out pretty large. I got the 99-2004 on one DVD and the 05 + on a second DVD. I had it showing at CCR and had copies for sale at the silent auction. I guess I need to figure out a way to distribute here for the rest of the gang.
How much to send me a DVD?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #13 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2010, 9:06 am

I also would be interested in the 2005 + DVD for brake bleeding. Thanks!
post #14 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Me too....! Guess there will be quite a few people interested.
post #15 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Please add me to the list.

2002 K1200LT
post #16 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2010, 8:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK OK I knew this was going to happen and I should have been better prepared.

My real job has me pretty strapped right now but I will look at duping a batch this weekend to ship out. And look at shipping costs.

I think ball park is $25 with the 5 covering shipping and materials and the 20 going to CCR charity for CCR 2011 in Boise. Please specify which year group you want 1. 99-2004 or 2. 2005+. I will do my best to get these out and paypal may be the way to pay. Details to follow in a few days. Look for a new post and I will add everyone from this one to the new post.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2010, 8:24 pm

Hi John,

I'd also like a copy of the CD for my 2002 LT, I'd appreciate it if you add me to your list. Paypal works for me.

thanks

Ron V

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2010, 7:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
OK OK I knew this was going to happen and I should have been better prepared.

My real job has me pretty strapped right now but I will look at duping a batch this weekend to ship out. And look at shipping costs.

I think ball park is $25 with the 5 covering shipping and materials and the 20 going to CCR charity for CCR 2011 in Boise. Please specify which year group you want 1. 99-2004 or 2. 2005+. I will do my best to get these out and paypal may be the way to pay. Details to follow in a few days. Look for a new post and I will add everyone from this one to the new post.
Sorry, John, I didn't mean to start something! I just remembered your mention a while back of the video that you were working on and was wondering what happened to it given they my 24K is just around the corner.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #19 of 19 Old Nov 9th, 2010, 8:41 am

LOL have a feeling you're going to get a flood of requests ...like mine 2005+ Thank you for making the video

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in