Road Trip to Gateway Arch! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Road Trip to Gateway Arch!

In two weeks I'm taking off on my first long jaunt through some select routes from Central Texas to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and back!
I chose this 1,800 mile route for the roads (twisties) and scenery. I'm taking my time and doing it in five days and combining the trip with a visit with friends and a reunion. Plan to RON (camp) at Ft. Smith (Ft. Chaffee) as my midpoint to and fro....don't want to ride those AR/MO hills at dusk with all the deer running amuck! To be on the safe side, I added the BMW Motorad Dealers along the route just in case something goes wrong with the bike (I do plan to stop by Bentonville BMW just to say "Howdy!" I did a 24K service in March and will do a 3K service on Monday and go over the bike real well in preparation for the ride.

Based on the route, is there something someone knows I need to see along the route that I may be missing or part of the route I need to steer clear of due to hazards?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CenTX to Gateway & back.png
Views:	58
Size:	734.7 KB
ID:	28039  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 5:36 am

Re: Road Trip to Gateway Arch!

Howdy, Kenny - just a little envious of your trip, as I've done most of those routes over several years and would do 'em again if the opportunity ever arises. So much to see/do, and so little time!!

Quick note: I think the Little Rock dealer folded up his tent this year. I remember reading sumpthin' that mentioned James just couldn't make a go of it in the present economy. Verify that with a quick call to Lone Star and ask Gary, Peter, or Robert - they'll know. Or do a search here - it might have been in a thread.

BTW - you carry a BMW MOA Anonymous book? Loan you mine if we meet up 'tween now and your departure.

Just a coupla notes on your route (my bad that I couldn't recognize which route is goin' and which comin'). If timing is right - while in Mena, take a run up the mountain to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge and grab some grub at the nice restaurant there. And, while near Petit Jean state park, there is a real nice classic/vintage automobile museum worth visiting.

Lemme give some other folks some time to reply, and in the meantime, I'll get out some of my other trip notes and history file and get back to you in a day or so.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 7:19 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Just a coupla notes on your route (my bad that I couldn't recognize which route is goin' and which comin'). If timing is right - while in Mena, take a run up the mountain to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge and grab some grub at the nice restaurant there. .
Plus one on Queen Wilhelmina. GREAT road up to it & GREAT food too.
CLICK HERE FOR INFO
While in Bentonville Tell Denise, Stevie said "Hey Darlin"

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 8:16 am

If you want to avoid I44, you could take Mo 94 out of St Louis to Jeff City, will take you along th Mo river and The German wine country. You can pick up US 54 in Jeff and bring that back to the . South west. Alittle out of the way if you have the time, but worth it. I live in the Lake of the Ozarks area. Great riding all around. Have a safe trip.
Ron
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 8:30 am

Oh yeow, when south of Branson at Ozark, and it's lunch or supper time, stop at 'Lamberts, Home of the Throwed Rolls'; then find MO 125 and south on it for a short 20 minute flatdeck ferry across an arm of Bull Shoals lake and onto AR 62, which could take east over towards Eureka Springs and on into Bentonville. I'm goin' from a used up memory bank, Kenny - so study the maps pretty good!!!

Yup, be sure and tell Denise that South Central Tejas sez "YO".
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:59 am

It is hard to find a bad road in the AR/MO Ozarks. My suggestion is to get off US94 in Herman, Mo and ride Mo19 down through Cuba, Salem, Winona to the AR border. In Ar, highways 7 and 21 are well known also. You may never get home following all the scenic roads, but you will have a grin from ear to ear.

Bob Schrader
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 11:19 am

Drove I-44 a couple of years ago from Springfield to St. Louis...A TON of big rigs, and I remember seeing a lot of dear squishin's all over the road. If I was riding my motorcycle, I would try to avoid that highway if possible.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Gold Supporter

Ditto on I-44, was on it from Joplin to Springfield last year and wishing I had picked a different route. Lots of truck traffic to dodge, it wears on you.
jrh

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Gents,
Thanks for the notes and highlights! I have now ammended my route (reference the link below)! With the exception of Harker Heights to Waco section and the Ft. Leonard Wood to St. Louis section, I will not travel over the same slab twice....that equates to about 1,500 miles of different scenery! I love this Google Maps thing....I've found some pretty cool bridges and have an opportunity to "preview" the route before taking it!

New RON (camp) at Queen Wilhelmina State Park rather than back to the same grounds I visited two days prior! I've added the ferry detour as an alternate route depending on the weather and time I get in that area.....the new RON spot gains me about an hour, so this may be a "GO" just for the experience. Since this'll be a solo ride, it'll be all about the journey and "relatively" slow...at least as slow as I can safely drive the roads and enjoy the ride!

I used to live in central Missouri (I received my MS in ENG at MO S&T while stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood) and camped all over the region with scouts and my family....great terrain for camping, hiking, and fishing....and now motorcycling!! SR 19 is a great route, but I'll start my return trip (the east route) from Dixon and come through the south gate of Ft. Leonard Wood.

My family and I have enjoyed the "Home of the Throwed Rolls" several times....what a hoot! I agree about I-44....TONs of rigs and four-legged critters.....but this will be the only part of the route where I can make up for the time playing on the twisties!

I haven't even taken off yet and I'm as giddy as a kid with a new toy....and smilin' just as much!

I'll surely have to remind myself to stop every once in a while to document/photo I actually took the journey!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #10 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 10:23 am Thread Starter

I've updated my route to include some scenery and a "few" more (ok....>3! ) twisties......waaaaaay too many fun roads for a single trip! May have to "save" some for the future!

The blue route is the route north from home (1/2 way RON at Ft. Chaffee RV Park)....the green is the route south back home (1/2 way RON at Queen Wihelmina Inn Campground). The orange routes are the likely "detours" I plan on taking.

I'm looking for some good campgrounds along my route that have all the amenities (shower primarily.....wifi would be a bonus) that would give me options if my wandering through the hills takes longer than I anticipate!

Has anyone camped at Devils Den? I found a great route (Old 71) that goes north through Shepherd Springs and over to Devils Den...... .....that smile will last for quite a while!

Blast off in eight days!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #11 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 11:49 am

I-44 kindof sucks but the scenery is ok. Trucks is right.

dead deer??

I passed a bloated dead COW in the very small median between an area with cliffs on both sides of the road there about a couple months ago...I rode by that one real slow!
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:06 pm

It aint about the "destination"... is it? Of course not!

Looks like grand fun...!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 2:30 pm

I used to live north of Devil's Den SP and would ride my R100 through the park when out for an afternoon's ride. It is a very nice park in a river valley with high hills on both sides. Don't remember about camping facilites as such, but it should have some good spots riverside. Try a google search for more information.

Bob Schrader

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in