Headlight not working - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Headlight not working

The low and high beam of my 2001 LT (91K miles) stopped working this week. I removed the bulbs, which are OK, and and tried a couple of "quick fixes" but nothing worked so far. I now assume I have a faulty ground somewhere in the headlight assembly (either through corrosion or burnout). There is no fuse for the headlights.

I tried working to look for the problem from below the fairing, but it is very tight in there. I assume I'll have to remove the upper fairing (preceded by removal of both side fairings and windshield) to get to the headlight assembly. Does that soud about right?

Searched the site for similar experiences, but found nothing. Anyone have this problem before me? Any guidance?
Thanks!

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: Headlight not working

Dan, the headlight power, radio, etc. goes through the starting system load shed relay so you need to consider this also. Do you have a schematic for the bike?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 3:46 pm

Many have had a similar problem and most were traced to the ground wire. I think it's a brown one at the bottom of the headlight.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 4:16 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Many have had a similar problem and most were traced to the ground wire. I think it's a brown one at the bottom of the headlight.
My money's on Dano !!
Good luck with it.
Keir
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 7:07 pm

Just fixed mine, same problem. There are two ground wires for the headlight and its the one nearest the high beam. The heat melts the protective coating and leaves the wire bare. If you shine a flashlight on the bottom of the headlight you will probably see brownish burnt residue. First time I took the nose apart and redid the wire end.This lasted two weeks so the second time I cut and spiced the two grounds into one (no nose removal). No problem since. There are many write ups about this.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphammer
Just fixed mine, same problem. There are two ground wires for the headlight and its the one nearest the high beam. The heat melts the protective coating and leaves the wire bare. If you shine a flashlight on the bottom of the headlight you will probably see brownish burnt residue. First time I took the nose apart and redid the wire end.This lasted two weeks so the second time I cut and spiced the two grounds into one (no nose removal). No problem since. There are many write ups about this.

Just had the exact thing happen to my buddys 2000 and it too was the brown Ground wire farthest in on the brass High beam contact strip.. the wire was toasty for about 2" and I cut it back further until I had GOOD CLEAN metal.. Soldered a new wire in place with a soldered spade lug and reinstalled .. ALL was well ! Now as a service check the connection was reading about 2.3Megohms from the headlight connector ground pin to the high beam common strip !!! Once repaired it was back to a normal near 0 ohm reading .. Seems we have a pattern :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

PROBLEM RESOLVED!

Turns out it was a baked ground wire. There are two brown ground wires that attach to the high beam bulb closing snap (which is a ground). I ran parallel grounds for each wire out of the headlight box to another ground, in this case the right horn. Both lights are now working again, good as new.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in