Ugh! Bad news today. Need new forks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Ugh! Bad news today. Need new forks

The short story of why my bike is naked and undergoing a colour change is because I backed into the front of it during a fit of blind stupidity.

I had the local dealer measure everything up today because it did not ride straight after the incident.

The verdict is both forks are bent, one by as much as 1/4 of an inch.

I haven't gotten the written quote yet, but looking at list pricing, I believe they are quoting fork legs, vs stanchions (ETK descriptions) which list at $790.20 vs $368.58 respectively.

The verbal quote was $1995.00 installed. And that's supposed to be a trade friendly price, especially given I have the dealership owner's Mini in MY shop for repairs right now. sigh.

So, anyone got good used fork legs, or at least the stanchions, for sale? I'll do the dang job my self, but I'm in a hurry as riding season is almost over here in Ohio.

Thanks

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 9:04 pm

Wink Re: Ugh! Bad news today. Need new forks

Maybe. Need to check to see if they are in fact both there and true first though. You can drop us a PM if you're interested Brett, and I will try to check them out this weekend. I am currently on the road, or I would go check them tonight.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Re: Ugh! Bad news today. Need new forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Maybe. Need to check to see if they are in fact both there and true first though. You can drop us a PM if you're interested Brett, and I will try to check them out this weekend. I am currently on the road, or I would go check them tonight.

John
Thanks John. I just picked the bike up and will rip the front end apart and check it myself on Saturday. I'll let you know if I really do need them.

Brett

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 8:42 pm

Brett, sorry to hear about your mishap. I know the pain - just this morning I backed my expensive toy car into a thorny bush. Looks like the cost of repaint could easily exceed your forks.

Anyway: look into used parts. Here are some sources:

Re-Psycle - used parts
www.re-psycle.com
614-837-1160, call after noon

A&S - used parts
800-689-9893, 916-726-7334

BeemerBoneyard
973-775-3495, Randolph, NJ 9a-6p Mon-Fri
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

http://www.ltparts.com/

Hammersley
www.webparts.com

Cycles Recycled, Fred Rowland
http://www.cyclesrecycled.com/

Vasali
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motos_vasali/

Good luck.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #5 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 4:22 am

Brett-
I have my whole bike for sale. You could buy it and just use the forks. . That's a bummer. I wonder if insurance companies have some kind of junk yard that you could parts out of? Good luck with your search.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish

John
I went out and looked. I believe that they are in good shape but would like John to help me inspect them better. I did see that on BeemerBoneyard he has a complete front end off of a 2005 for just under $1000. We will send you a PM tomorrow.

Art Kester
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artk50
I went out and looked. I believe that they are in good shape but would like John to help me inspect them better. I did see that on BeemerBoneyard he has a complete front end off of a 2005 for just under $1000. We will send you a PM tomorrow.
I looked at Beemer and didn't see anything, I'll look again, but at $1K, I'll probably pass. My cost on new chrome tubes (what BMW calls the Stanchions) is just under $300 each. The upside of just rebuilding what I have is new seals and bushings. The down side of that is BMW does not have any in stock in the US or Germany according to the parts locating system, so it might be a long wait.

Brett
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 10:15 pm

What year LT, I have a 99 that is being parted out?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #9 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 5:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker

Hammersley
www.webparts.com

Good luck.

Of course you do know that Hammersley shut down operations as of May 31st.

I am sure you checked already, but would your insurance not cover this?

M

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Heard great things about Franks Forks. www.frankmain.qpg.com

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Don't know if this will help,

but given the cost of them, if you can't find 2nd hand in the US, is it worth trying the UK? not sure of shipping, and how that will affect price, but gotta be worth a shot, only takes an email?

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/

http://www.motobins.co.uk/

http://www.james-sherlock.co.uk/

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 9:39 pm

I just went through this with my new to me, previously, slightly, damaged purchased 2003 LT.

I waited 2 months for Germany to spit a fork slider out for me. It didn't come and didn't come......... figured the volcano in Iceland was holding up it's shipment. I finally cancelled the backorder to Germany when a used one came up on E-bay for $300.00.

I have one straight stanchion (the steel tube) left over that I would sell you, but I bet you will find that it is the aluminum slider tube that is bent. They are know to be flimsy and the weak spot.

This is an easy repair if you can get a couple straight ones from e-bay. The LT manual gives thorough installation instructions

My used e-bay one came off of a bike that had a battery fire, so I felt pretty confident in it's useability.

Spaghetti
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Thats not much of a bend.

Consider straightening them. Not hard to do, just take some time. Any good machine shop should be able to do that for about $75.00.

B D R
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 5th, 2010, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

I should post the <almost> fix to this problem.

At this point, it appears there is NO problem.

I should have known better than to take it to a dealer. Took it there because I assumed they had factory spec sheets for frame measurement. Not sure if they do or not, but after getting the bike back, I looked closely at the front suspension design and decided it would have been virtually impossible for a fork to have bent. The cast aluminum section (slider) would normally crack before bending, and for the chrome inner tube (stanchion) to bend, the lower cantilever arm (trailing arm) would have to bend first. So I took 10,000 measurements myself with a borrowed autobody frame measuring jig and could not find anything out of whack. Worst I could find was from a caliper bolt to the hole in the end of each hand grip MIGHT have had 1/8" inch difference, but it's not a scientific measurement, so.....

The bike had a shimmy at about 45mph up to 60 or so, then it went away. That type of shimmy is indicative of a wheel balance issue.
I took the front wheel to the dealer after their diagnosis (I had picked the bike up with no work performed) and stood by the tech while he spun it on the balancer. It was out by .75 ounces on each side. That's a LOT of weight. So I told him to pull the old weights and re-balance the wheel, and I walked back to the showroom while he did it.

Put the wheel back on the bike and the shimmy was still there. Better or worse, I couldn't really tell. Maybe moved a small amount in the speed range. So then I start wondering if the kid re-spun the wheel after pulling the original weights off, or screwed up by just putting the .75 ounce weights on where they were required with the existing weights on, but having done so after removing the existing weights.

So off to a local bike shop (not the dealer) with the front wheel. They check spin it and it's 0.00 on both sides. But they have a different style of wheel balancer and it's easier to see the tyre on this one. And the tyre is hopping quite severely. It's a relatively new tyre, installed less than 2K of highway miles ago.

Ordered up a set of Avon Storm IIs and on they go. The front wheel requires almost no weights, and the bike rides super smooth. It does seem to drift to the right, but that could be the crown of the road, which is fairly severe in our area. Will find out once I get the bodywork finalized and take it out on the highway. In 3 weeks, assuming I sort out the audio system , I'll be doing a 2100 mile ride to Scottsdale, AZ. That should show up some uneven tyre wear if there is truly a problem with the front end.

There you have it. Long story short, the dealer seems to have quoted me an entire front end because they couldn't find anything wrong and were just covering their a**.

Brett Anderson

Australian by birth, American by choice!

If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of The United States of America, and to the Republic which it defines.

VOTE 2nd Amendment!
post #15 of 16 Old Sep 6th, 2010, 12:46 am

An interesting story with a happy (and inexpensive) ending! Certainly pays tribute to that old saying "If you hear hoof beats don't start looking for zebras ".

I have my doubts if the road crown is causing your right drift - it's typically 3" in 12 feet, but as you say it could be more.... been a long time since I've been back in my old stomping grounds in Chagrin Falls. Just remember it can still be REALLY hot in Phoenix this month. Have a safe and smoooooth trip.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 6th, 2010, 1:03 am

I have a few extra parts I would sell you if you are interested. I rebuilt a 2002 K1200LT and accumulated some parts. I have a pair of stanchions from a R1150. They are the exact same diameter as the K1200 stanchions, only about 1.5 inches longer. You could have the bottoms cut off by a good machine shop. I also have a left side aluminum lower for a 2002 K1200LT. It has one brake ear longer than the other for BMW brakes. I also have a right side aluminum lower. This was off I believe a 1999 K1200LT and it has both the shorter brake ears so it doesn't fit my bike. PM me if your interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in