Coast to Coast ride have you - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Have you done a coast to coast trip on your bike?
YES 24 52.17%
NO 12 26.09%
Actually leaving soon 0 0%
thought about it 10 21.74%
WTF are you crazy? 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Coast to Coast ride have you

I was wondering how many of us have been from one coast to another?

Not looking for a scientefiic debate on what that means, but from one State with an Atlantic coast line to a West Coast state with a Pacific coast line.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:59 pm

Talking Re: Coast to Coast ride have you

If you are referring to the CC50 then I have not done the sanctioned ride, which is coast to coast in 50 hr. I have done the "Southern California Motorcycle Club" four corner ride in 07. I left central new york and drove to Maine, Florida, California, and Washington state. Down the east coast across the bottom portion and up the west coast and finally across the central part to miss out on the northern states storms. The only rain encountered was in the Sunshine State of Florida. It was a real blast. Would like to do it again but stay off the Super slab as much as possible this time.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 12:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Coast to Coast ride have you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
I was wondering how many of us have been from one coast to another?

Not looking for a scientefiic debate on what that means, but from one State with an Atlantic coast line to a West Coast state with a Pacific coast line.
Did a fun ride a year ago. Look here.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 5:47 am

I have a difficult time understanding the XXXX MIle runs for the fun of it! I ;ove to ride and my wife thinks I look for excuses to to get on the bike, I just don't understand a distance ride for the "miles."

Seems like the old Vacation movie where you ride 2,500 miles to see the Grand Canyon and then stop for only 15 seconds, take a picture to be seen later, then turnaround and off to the next sight. In my mind you miss so much on the way.

To me, it's definitely the journey, not the destination..... I'm not really looking forward to the destination.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 6:31 am

I agree with Dan. I do like to make good time on the road and then rest and relax for a longer time at destination stops.

BTW Dan, how long would it take you to ride coast to coast? A few hours at most? Not too much distance between the Atlantic and Gulf coasts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I have a difficult time understanding the XXXX MIle runs for the fun of it! I ;ove to ride and my wife thinks I look for excuses to to get on the bike, I just don't understand a distance ride for the "miles."

Seems like the old Vacation movie where you ride 2,500 miles to see the Grand Canyon and then stop for only 15 seconds, take a picture to be seen later, then turnaround and off to the next sight. In my mind you miss so much on the way.

To me, it's definitely the journey, not the destination..... I'm not really looking forward to the destination.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 6:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I agree with Dan. I do like to make good time on the road and then rest and relax for a longer time at destination stops.

BTW Dan, how long would it take you to ride coast to coast? A few hours at most? Not too much distance between the Atlantic and Gulf coasts?
I did say Atlantic to Pacific. It would take only about 2.5 hours to got Atlantic to Gulf for me.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 7:27 am

I did it in 1970. My avatar photo is the bike and "riding gear" I did it in. I was stationed on the east coast and took orders back to Viet Nam, so had to get to the west coast asap to catch my ride. Took me 6 days. I still remember the trip fondly, the rash not so much. Wish they had monkey butt powder back in those days.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 9:08 am

does th Washington State coast to the Alakaskan Coast via AlCan quailfy?

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 2:20 pm

My brother and I did a 48 state ride three years ago. Thirteen days and 9200 miles. Very doable and an awesome way to see this great country. I was on my HD Ultra and he has Gold Wing. No mechanical problems with either. Highly recommend and encourage everyone to do it
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 3:29 pm

Yikes! 707.7 miles per day! See DanDivers post! I hope you brought your camera so you can see what you missed. Great accomplishment and should provide you with a lot of stories to tell for years to come!

BTW, which CONUS state did you miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billragon
My brother and I did a 48 state ride three years ago. Thirteen days and 9200 miles. Very doable and an awesome way to see this great country. I was on my HD Ultra and he has Gold Wing. No mechanical problems with either. Highly recommend and encourage everyone to do it

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 4:09 pm

Thumbs up Re: Coast to Coast ride have you

A couple of years ago I bought my 05 LT on eBay and flew to FL to pick it up.
I rode from Boca Raton to Los Angeles in 3 days about 3k miles.
At the end of day 1 I stayed at the house of a member of this board near Baton Rouge. Got busted at 92 mph in Western TX at the end of day 2, which later prompted me to get a radar detector on my bike. Got one in each vehicle now.
Day 3 was the longest, but like a horse smelling the stables I kept on going until I got home.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 4:38 pm

Re: Coast to Coast ride

10,000 miles in 30 days on a R90/6, two up with camping gear.
30 days leave from the USN.
Submarine Base Groton CT, to Vermont to Niagra Falls, Mackinaw Straights Bridge, Wisconsin, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellow Stone, Glacier NP, Mt Rainer, down rte 101 along the coast of Oregon, Washington, and Calif, the Golden Gate, San Francisco, Yosemite NP, Tonopah NV, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Grand Canyon, Denver, Kansas, and the great midwest, West VA, Skyline Dr, Wash DC and the Northeast Corridor and back to Vermont. Then back to Subase Groton to check in off leave.
(Addenum: I married the girl who rode on back that trip; World's Greatest Pillion Rider. )
The most recent time we headed in that direction we only made it to Utah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1981 Ride.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	656.0 KB
ID:	28017  

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jul 2nd, 2010 at 5:00 pm.
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 6:07 pm

Alaska!! Cldnt get the extra 4 days off to make it. Left at 0600 rode to 6-7 pm. Wasn't bad like opening a US geography page every day
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 6:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
To me, it's definitely the journey, not the destination...
And yet you keep stopping at all these intermediate "destinations".

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to do. I've done many flower-sniffing rides and enjoyed all of them. I've also done literally dozens of thousand-mile days, and probably half a dozen 1,500-mile days.

I just wrapped up a 3-week, 10,000-mile trip on the GT. Started in SoCal, headed through Arkansas and Missouri, then on to Ohio and across to Boston, before passing through Maine on my way to upstate NY. The return trip took me across Canada and through Minnesota, before dropping down to Colorado and then across to Utah, where the low was 36. The final leg dropped back down through Arizona and Nevada, where the high was 117 before crossing into SoCal and got me home on the 21st day. 5 of those were non-riding days, and 2 were local days of under 50 miles.

That covered 30 states, 1 Canadian province, 5 national parks, 3 relatives, 2 LD Endurance Rallies (both of which I won), and a whole pile of friends. It was a good ride.

To me, there is just something about being on the bike and moving that is almost indescribable. There might be a vague excuse for a destination, or I might be high-tailing it out to visit a customer, or family or friends (and thus avoiding TSA and all that mess). But it is there mere fact of riding, of being in motion and intimately aware of your surroundings that I find intriguing. The destination, final or even intermediate, is almost irrelevant.

You just can't replicate that anywhere else. You simply have to get out and get the miles in, in whatever manner pleases you the most.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in