24K Service Help Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 11:22 am Thread Starter

24K Service Help Needed

I have accomplished most of the 24k service items but could use your help.

Here are the remaining items.

Clutch, brake fluid. Do I really need to change them?

Coolant. Do I reallly need to change this?

How do I grease the side and center stand?

How do I check the steering damper?

How do I check the swing arm bearings for play?

How do I check rear wheel bearing play?

How do I clean the inductive sensor on rear wheel?

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 11:50 am

Re: 24K Service Help Needed

Year model of your LT, and current mileage?? Helps give guidance with that info.

Early model LTs had DOT4 brake fluid spec'd for change yearly - newer model LTs, the spec's were changed to every two years, I believe. Clutch fluid was spec'd as 'check level and correct if necessary' - no time spec'd.

Coolant on early models was spec'd for replacement at two year intervals. I don't know if that has changed with newer models, or not.

I'll stop here, and wait on the experienced wrenches to answer your other questions. And I'll make a suggestion to ya - get hold of a shop manual; either a BMW one, or a Clymer. You know that ole saying --- a pic is worth a thousand......!! Good luck in finishing up your service. Saved a buncha bucks and know you got stuff right - and that's a good thang!!
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 12:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
I have accomplished most of the 24k service items but could use your help.

Here are the remaining items.

Clutch, brake fluid. Do I really need to change them?

Only in the system you want to use...Interval is annual on wheel circuits at a minimum (late 01 and up).

Coolant. Do I reallly need to change this?

Depends on how long it has been in there Book is 2 years you could go 5

How do I grease the side and center stand?

Side stand needs a needle point on a grease gun, Center must be disassembled as there are o-rings

How do I check the steering damper?
Lift the front wheel off the ground on center stand and rapidly move handle bars, if you feel some resistance to rapid movent - it is good.

How do I check the swing arm bearings for play?

This applies to the next question also. Grab the rear wheel top and bottom and rock it - any movement - look further

How do I check rear wheel bearing play?

How do I clean the inductive sensor on rear wheel?

Wipe any metal particles that have stuck to off with a rag.

Thanks all
Sounds like you need to attend a Tech Session. Feel like a trip to north AL? I will host a tech session and invite all comers to observe. You just buy the parts and show up. You will learn the answers to all those questions. Pick a date.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Jul 1st, 2010 at 12:39 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

I have a 2005 LT. Currently has 24k miles.

I do have the BMW shop manual, but sometimes I question the frequency of this service. I replaced the air filter, and it still looked new.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 2:28 pm

Got Clymers? sounds like you're in need of one.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 2:30 pm

perfect timing....getting ready for a 36K...and replacing the break lines...and upgrade other stuff...the Goose will be down most of the month...

Any advice on or tips on changing the fuel filter...????

Jim

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 6:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
perfect timing....getting ready for a 36K...and replacing the break lines...and upgrade other stuff...the Goose will be down most of the month...

Any advice on or tips on changing the fuel filter...????

Jim
Start with much less than a half tank. Don't leave the tank in the sun while you work the filter.

Use some white marker and put a mark on the big gland nut and the tank. You want to end up in the same place when done. Use a strap wrench to loosen the nut. Pull out the filter pump assy and replace the filter. Really look over the "U" shaped hose for condition and replace if you find any cracks.

Note the direction of the arrow on the filter before removal and after install of the new one. Make sure the clamps are tight.

Clean and DRY the rubber gasket and the tank where it goes. DRY is the operative word here. Re-install gasket followed by the pump assy.

Use no lube of any kind except on the OUTER part of the metal disk where it will contact the gland nut. The order here is: Tank, Gasket (no lube); Gasket, Pump Plate (no lube); Pump Plate, Gland Nut (light lube).

Line up the arrows on the plate and the tank to keep it aligned and tighten the gland nut until the white marks line up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 7:23 pm

thanks john

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in