Shocks for short people - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 6:25 am Thread Starter
cwo

Shocks for short people

Howdy

Time for new shocks, and I am wanting shocks that would lower the bike a little bit. Sure would be nice to have both feet on the ground.

Does any brand, or supplier offer a shock that would help us short people?

Thanks,

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 5:17 pm

Talking Re: Shocks for short people

Howdy,

I believe that springs change the heigth, not the shock.

I just put HyperPro springs on my '03 LT and they raised my LT to near new heigth. They make springs that will lower the bike some, I believe.

Do you have everything removed from under the seat? IE, adjuster, rubber bumbers. That will lower your seat better than 1/2". At least it did on my '03 LT.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I'm not the expert here.

Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:55 pm

Re: Shocks for short people

Hyperpro's can lower your bike ~1.25" , but then you have to modify the side and center stands. If I didnt have access to free welding it would definitely add to the cost...

Ron - Cypress, TX

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 5:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
Howdy

Time for new shocks, and I am wanting shocks that would lower the bike a little bit. Sure would be nice to have both feet on the ground.

Does any brand, or supplier offer a shock that would help us short people?

Thanks,

Chris Ogle
I have the Ohlins on my 03LT, have a 27' inseam, had the shocks customized to my riding style, weight, etc etc etc...... Bike rides great and my feet don't dangle!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 6:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsparadise
Hyperpro's can lower your bike ~1.25" , but then you have to modify the side and center stands. If I didnt have access to free welding it would definitely add to the cost...
I would hesitate to lower the bike because even non aggressive riding ( I think it's not aggressive) in my neighborhood at less than 30 MPH causes parts of the bike to scrape. I would look to lowering the seat, but not the frame. If the foot rest scrapes, they will rise up, but if the frame scrapes, I think it could cause a tumble.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:53 am

Remedies:

1. New Ohlins or other high end shocks front and rear: $$$$. (and overkill unless you are a VERY aggressive rider on an 800 lb. touring bike.) You also will not be able to use the center or side stands without further modification $$

2. New custom seat lowered and with the nose shaved to allow your legs to get closer to the center line of the bike at stops: $$$ (but you will also get much better overall ride quality and comfort for your butt as well)

3. New, gently used OEM "take off" shock with Hyperpro springs cut for your inseam: $$

4. Have a cobbler add wider (for more traction) taller (even half an inch can sometimes make a HUGE difference) and "gummier" soles and/or heel to your favorite riding boots: $ I like Vibram Mayatur.

As others have pointed out lowering only the rear shock will having you eyeballing EVERY speed bump and every curb. Unless you ALSO lower the front you'll have very strange geometry and it will affect handling adversely. Maintaining level ride height is critical. This is something everyone forgets until they get a tank slapper at 70 going around a curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Matayur Vibram.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	28016  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Remedies:

1. New Ohlins or other high end shocks front and rear: $$$$. (and overkill unless you are a VERY aggressive rider on an 800 lb. touring bike.) You also will not be able to use the center or side stands without further modification $$

2. New custom seat lowered and with the nose shaved to allow your legs to get closer to the center line of the bike at stops: $$$ (but you will also get much better overall ride quality and comfort for your butt as well)

3. New, gently used OEM "take off" shock with Hyperpro springs cut for your inseam: $$

4. Have a cobbler add wider (for more traction) taller (even half an inch can sometimes make a HUGE difference) and "gummier" soles and/or heel to your favorite riding boots: $ I like Vibram Mayatur.

As others have pointed out lowering only the rear shock will having you eyeballing EVERY speed bump and every curb. Unless you ALSO lower the front you'll have very strange geometry and it will affect handling adversely. Maintaining level ride height is critical. This is something everyone forgets until they get a tank slapper at 70 going around a curve.

Have done #1, #2 and #3. Ride aggressive, have the custome lowered seat and all and had Danner add some height to my riding boots. The Ohlins are superb!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in