I guess loud pipes do save lives... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2010, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Smile I guess loud pipes do save lives...

I was at a mid-week bike gathering with everything from Dressers to stretched sport bikes. I had a couple step into the path of my LT because they didn't hear it. I guess loud pipes do save lives.[/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 6:23 am

Re: I guess loud pipes do save lives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHonaker
I was at a mid-week bike gathering with everything from Dressers to stretched sport bikes. I had a couple step into the path of my LT because they didn't hear it. I guess loud pipes do save lives.[/FONT]
If you didn't hit anyone, how did they save a life???

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
If you didn't hit anyone, how did they save a life???
I think he meant if he had hit one and gotten gunk on his bike, he would have killed one of .'em

post #4 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 7:27 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Hearing is only one of the senses, sight is pretty cool to use when walking or driving

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 8:17 am

Thumbs up Re: I guess loud pipes do save lives...

This is a very old sell, Loud pips save lives. I have bin riding since I was 6/yrs to the present (51) now. Common sense and patience will always over ride the need for Loud pipes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #6 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 9:06 am

Thankfully your cowbell brakes alerted them.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 9:48 am
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
exactly !! Embarrassing though they are !!
Keir
post #8 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #9 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:24 am

Here is the paradox: virtually all those H-D owners that insist loud pipes save lives and are therefore a saftety issue, for some strange reason fail to take even minimal precautions when it comes to gear. These safety conscious loud pipe advocates don't wear helmets, jackets, protective pants, and often even gloves. Hmm. Do you suppose there is another reason they might favor loud pipes? I believe there is. It's called the, "Hey-everyone -look -at- me,- I'm- riding -a -big -bad- motorcycle syndrome. Just a thought.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #10 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:33 am

It's called the, "Hey-everyone -look -at- me,- I'm- riding -a -big -bad- motorcycle syndrome. Just a thought.

Not unlike one of those culls from OCC that says, "You ride one of these, and you get respect". Oh give me a frickin' break!!!

I just rode the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado, a road with super tight switchbacks. It was those stupid SOB's on Harleys that wouldn't get the hell out of the way so a "motorcycle enthusiast", not a "biker", could enjoy them. Sorry for the rant. I was so pissed I couldn't see straight. Finally passed 3 of them on the inside of a 180 degree curve.

On a lighter note: it may well depend on how far up your a$$ you have your head that determains what you hear and what you do not. Coefficient of cranial-rectitus.
post #11 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:56 am

Loud pipes and bikers dressing like Pirates Ummm lets see which one is more of a distraction. I think the answer would be more horsepower saves lives with common sense in the inside the helmet.

Harley riders is it Halloween yet or do we dress like Pirates all year.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #12 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I always wanted to have a loop recording of a loud harley so I could blast it through the sound system when they say things like, "I can't hear you is your bike running".

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
post #13 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 4:40 pm

I took some baseball cards and clothespins and pinned them so they click when my LT's spokes hit em. Sounds just like a Harley. Kinda. Sorta.....Not.
post #14 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 4:53 pm

Ha ha. Brings me back to when I first started collecting baseball cards. Clothespinned a couple of 1964 Mickey Mantle cards to my front tire....Good thing I saved the rest of them. Hope to retire early with the collection of older ones or maybe buy a new LT in 2020

Ed Flanagan

1970 Guzzi Ambassador civilian
1972 Guzzi Eldorado Police (under construction)
1974 Guzzi Eldorado Police
2003 Silver LT
post #15 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 6:44 pm

Come on y'all, you're making it way to easy,
first post, no profile....what does that tell ya?
my guess is the second post will be an oil related thread.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #16 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 6:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHonaker
Did your horn quit working? I find the LT horn quite effective on daydreaming pedestrians. I think some ended up with a laundry problem. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #17 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2010, 9:03 pm

Damn those eclectics.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #18 of 24 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 9:13 am

Loud riding suits save lives! I've never read about a motorcycle accident where the cager claimed that they "didn't hear them coming" so they just pulled out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #19 of 24 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:07 am

I thought I would throw my $.02 in on this subject....I work as an EMT on a 911 response ambulance. I can tell you from daily experience that the "Head up the ass" syndrome pretty well eliminates any loud anything saving lives...I drive a vehicle that will probably cause permanent hearing loss if you are directly in front of it when the siren goes on, plus the visual emergency lighting array is, should I say, very hard to miss, especially at night. Yet, cagers are constantly pulling out in front of me or not pulling over at all! I can assure you from personal observation, drivers that have cell phones stuck to their heads wouldn't hear a "loud pipe" if their lives depended on it (even though someone elses life does) and some people stereos would make a loud pipe on a harley sound more like mouse fart in comparison. I really think that if a loud pipe saved any life at all, it was purely an accident.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 24 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
I always wanted to have a loop recording of a loud harley so I could blast it through the sound system when they say things like, "I can't hear you is your bike running".
The guys at my local BMW dealer were hysterical when they told me about a guy driving in on a Honda Ruckus to get some tires. He asked if they had them in stock and I guess they did so he brought his scooter around to the service entrance. They said they could hear him coming from around the block because he had some huge killer speakers on that thing and had a looped soundtrack of a Harley with loud pipes blaring over the speakers. Said it sounded like a train wreck about to happen and then this guy pulls around on a small scooter. I didn't see it, but by their reaction it must have been priceless. The Ruckus rider said he did this just to piss off the bad boys on their Harleys and apparently he was very successful at it. Got to love someone with a sense of humor don't you?
post #21 of 24 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 10:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsNWaves
I took some baseball cards and clothespins and pinned them so they click when my LT's spokes hit em. Sounds just like a Harley. Kinda. Sorta.....Not.
A lot of guys just use their final drives for the same sound effect.
post #22 of 24 Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTWO
Ha ha. Brings me back to when I first started collecting baseball cards. Clothespinned a couple of 1964 Mickey Mantle cards to my front tire....Good thing I saved the rest of them. Hope to retire early with the collection of older ones or maybe buy a new LT in 2020
I had saved several years of baseball card, and a couple of years of football cards from the 50's & early 60's. A Micky Mantle rookie card included. When I got back from Nam and came home, I looked in the closet and noticed they were all gone. Asked mom where they went,and she said "You didn't want those old things did you?" Well yeah. She had given them all to the grandkids (10), and they had used 'all' of them on their bicycle spokes in one summer. Can't even imagine what they'd be worth today. They were all in old cigar boxes, which would probably be worth something too. But they're gone. (sniff)

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 12:19 am Thread Starter

I was trying to be funny guys. Didn't word it right. I was at an event with loud bikes all over the place and a lady stepped in front of me. No time to blow my horn. I just revved my "quiet" bike and smiled. I guess a set of loud pipes didn't actually save a life, but a quick stab at my fantastic LTC brakes did. I do enjoy the forum, and thanks to everyone that contributes their knowledge and experience. Although I have ridden bikes for over 30 years and do my own maintenance, I have learned volumes by following this forum.

03 K1200LTC
94 K75S
Too Many others to list
post #24 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Funny post and I'm still hurting over those old baseball cards that were thrown away or trashed !

The K1200LT really does have a loud obnoxious horn (when I can find it instead of unintentionally signaling for a left turn!) but I think that situational awareness tends to save a few more lives than a loud exhaust system.

Bottom line is that drivers in vehicles are not looking for us and when we appear, it just doesn't register in the brain. They look right at us and pretend that we just aren't there. That's the reality of it. I don't think it will change, no matter how visible or loud we can become. How else can you explain a vehicle pulling out in front of a train.

It ain't expected so it doesn't register in the brain. Vision is not seeing, vision is what is comprehended in the brain.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in