Left Cooling Fan not working - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 30th, 2010, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Left Cooling Fan not working

I just purchased an 03 K1200LT last weekend and rode it home to Atlanta from Lexington, KY. While stopped in 95 degree heat, the temperature gauge would rise to the point that the cooling fans would come on. However, I noticed that the gauge would not go down until I got moving again and after getting home I realized that the LT has two radiators and two fans. Only one of the fans was coming on (the fan on my right as I sit on the bike).

Has anyone experienced this issue. Could it be a fuse? What should be the first step in troubleshooting the fan problem?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Re: Left Cooling Fan not working

The same fan on my 99 burned up also.I was able to get a good used one from beemer bone yard.
As far as trouble shooting it i would check the fuses first but if it is blown it's a sign that it is pulling to much juice so you may still have a bad motor.
You might want to check the fan itself to see if the blades are still attached to the motor, mine got so hot it melted the blades off the motor.
Hope this helps.
Slade
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 30th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Re: Left Cooling Fan not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbro
I just purchased an 03 K1200LT last weekend and rode it home to Atlanta from Lexington, KY. While stopped in 95 degree heat, the temperature gauge would rise to the point that the cooling fans would come on. However, I noticed that the gauge would not go down until I got moving again and after getting home I realized that the LT has two radiators and two fans. Only one of the fans was coming on (the fan on my right as I sit on the bike).

Has anyone experienced this issue. Could it be a fuse? What should be the first step in troubleshooting the fan problem?

thanks!
Fuse is first place I would check, Graham. You can get a look at the fuse arrangement in this post by Gilles, in case you don't have a shop manual nor the service booklet.

There is a fan relay that could be sour, butt it's used to energize the fan fuses and if the relay goes, then neither fan would operate. So, initially, I'd check the fuse for the left fan. After that, you could check to see if the left fan blade spins up, or is frozen. After that, check back here to see if there are other posted suggestions. Good luck, Graham.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in