NEW...A few questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

NEW...A few questions

Hello all
I am new to this forum but not new to motorcycle forums in general.
I have a 2000 k1200LT Triked in 2005. Itís an awesome machine and has only 42,000 miles on it. I have 2 questions..not related to it being a trike (well not yet).
1) My anti-lock brake LIGHTS trigger on when the RPM get too low. Is there a fix for this? I did read in the past this is common in the 1999 and 2000 models. Any input would be helpful.

2) My windshield always fogs up and appears to have a glaze over it. Can you please recommend where I can get a replacement and what my choices are.

For now that all I gotÖIím glad to be part of this forum and hope some of my knowledge (as minimum as it is) can help someone in the future.

Jeffrey
2000 K12000LT
Triked in 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 3:04 pm

Re: NEW...A few questions

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of LT's! I'm a hack guy (see avatar) so don't know anything about trikes but will give you a hint toward the windshield.

The haze is a well known "feature" of the factory shields. You can remove the haze using 70% + alcohol available at your local pharmacy and a soft towel. Or...... you can use the search tool in the forum and find out more about windshields than you would ever care to know!

I removed the coating from my shield using Gorilla brand duct tape. No more fogging but shield surface is not perfect. Doesn't matter to me as I always look over the top of the shield.

There was quite the polarized discussion just last week on the merits of polycarb vs. non-polycarb aftermarket shields.

Again, welcome and you have a beautiful trike!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 3:08 pm

1 - Make sure your brake fluid level is good in the reservoirs under the seat. Kinda tough to find them the first time.

2 - Cee Bailey's ver 2

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 3:41 pm

Welcome Jeff

Hey Awesome looking Trike man do you have any pic's you can post of it? Long term planning says I'll be moving in that direction sooner then I had wanted to think.

Like the other posts make sure your Brake fluid is up and or you might want to check the Pads.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Welcome to the LT!

Your situation kind of reminds me of my R12C, whent the battery was dying. When the rpm's were low, the abs brake lights flashed. You had to turn the bike off and start it again to make it stop(if you were lucky). How old is your battery?

Hope you have many great and safe rides!
Kirk

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 4:33 pm

ON your brake lights....
1- possible battery issue (most likely due to the RPM affecting the light)
2- rear brake fluid level

On the WS... there are numerous choices/styles/shapes/features I have a "tall BMW Stock" shield you might like... How tall are ya?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 14 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitreal_k
Welcome to the LT!

Your situation kind of reminds me of my R12C, whent the battery was dying. When the rpm's were low, the abs brake lights flashed. You had to turn the bike off and start it again to make it stop(if you were lucky). How old is your battery?

Hope you have many great and safe rides!
Kirk

The battery is brand new.
It only happens when the RPMís get too low. My brake fluid is fine. But remember itís a TRIKE and my rear is 2 wheels.
But I did read a while back that the older models have a malfunction in the ABS flasher lights. I was just wondering if that can be easily replace or fixed. The other concern is when they are flashing does that mean my ABS are disables? I sure home not.

Jeffrey
2000 K12000LT
Triked in 2005
post #8 of 14 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
ON your brake lights....
1- possible battery issue (most likely due to the RPM affecting the light)
2- rear brake fluid level

On the WS... there are numerous choices/styles/shapes/features I have a "tall BMW Stock" shield you might like... How tall are ya?

I am 5'6
I would like to replace the windshiled whith the exact same size and shape. Just a better one that wont fog and glaze over all the time

Jeffrey
2000 K12000LT
Triked in 2005
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Welcome Jeff

Hey Awesome looking Trike man do you have any pic's you can post of it? Long term planning says I'll be moving in that direction sooner then I had wanted to think.

Like the other posts make sure your Brake fluid is up and or you might want to check the Pads.
Some Photos for you to see
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XX IMG_4048.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	27630   Click image for larger version

Name:	XX - DSC00455.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	27631   Click image for larger version

Name:	XX - DSC00443.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	27632  

Jeffrey
2000 K12000LT
Triked in 2005
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Hi Jeff,

I believe it does mean the abs is disabled, although normal braking shouldn't be affected. This might be one of those 'read the code' situations, either a dealer or with a gs-911?

Do you know if it did this before you bought it?
Kirk

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Awesome Pic Jeff Thanks

That's a Hannigan Mod isn't it?

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2010, 1:31 am

I have a 2000 LT converted to a trike. The conversion does not matter, but the ABS lights come on blinking from time to time. Just stop, turn off the engine, restart, and all is OK. The original owner told me that this would happen (before it was triked), and it happened to him from time to time.

Don't worry, be happy!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2010, 10:34 am

Check the running voltage, especially at low rpm. Since your battery is new, I suspect the alternator may be weak (worn brushes) although that is not a common LT problem.

Tons of windshield options. Best to have one you can see over but gives you the wind protection you want when you need it.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #14 of 14 Old Jun 18th, 2010, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp
I have a 2000 LT converted to a trike. The conversion does not matter, but the ABS lights come on blinking from time to time. Just stop, turn off the engine, restart, and all is OK. The original owner told me that this would happen (before it was triked), and it happened to him from time to time.

Don't worry, be happy!

I was told the same thing. Shut it off and then keep rolling. I just thought there was a "forum friendly" fix.

Jeffrey
2000 K12000LT
Triked in 2005

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in