Knobby tires for LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Knobby tires for LT?

We are planning on the Puppy Dog Ride with BMW Owner's of Vermont this weekend. This is a ride from the Mass border to the Canadian border (or opposite direction) using primarily dirt roads.

http://vtbmwmov.org/rides/#puppydog

Well, the forecast is for rain.
So I'm thinking of mounting a set of knobby tires on the LT for addn'l traction in the mud.

Has anyone done this?

I'm looking for specific recommendations for tire brand and model since I plan to mount them in the next few days. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 6:27 pm

Re: Knobby tires for LT?

I don't think any knobby's have the weight limits for the LT...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 6:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
We are planning on the Puppy Dog Ride with BMW Owner's of Vermont this weekend. This is a ride from the Mass border to the Canadian border (or opposite direction) using primarily dirt roads.

http://vtbmwmov.org/rides/#puppydog

So I'm thinking of mounting a set of knobby tires on the LT for addn'l traction in the mud.

Has anyone done this?

I'm looking for specific recommendations for tire brand and model since I plan to mount them in the next few days. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
I assume you are being serious and I made a serious search a year or so ago when I was thinking about riding my LT to Dead Horse. However, I was not able to find any heavy tread tires that have the weight rating required for the LT. If you don't load heavy and travel under 50 MPH, it may not matter, but I wouldn't want to risk running to AK on marginal tires.

I've decided that if I want to make this trip, I need a GS. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 7:44 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Get some new LT rated tyres so you have full tread depth & make your own Knobby tyres with a tyre grooving iron.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 8:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In anticipation of my 2004 trip to Alaska, I rode my LT down some rutted, snowy, sleety, muddy forest roads in the Flagstaff area from Feb through April. Underneath all the 'smush' they were pretty solid roads, but I didn't have any issues. Only thought I was gonna die a couple of times. Made AK a cake walk. Definitely want full tread, as I did park in some loose stuff once, facing slightly downhill, and the worn tires needed quite a bit of persuasion from me and reverse to get out.

Motor On ,/'

post #6 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:22 pm

From October 2008:

I have decided to put studs on the KLT this winter and forego the tires chains, the chains were kind of noisy, and sometimes tore up the underside of the fenders. I always used to put the chains on over my Bridgestones (my favorite summer tire), but now I am planning on using these:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerosearch...t=Static&q=4706

So I wonder, maybe the Metz tire with its better mileage and harder rubber will hold the studs better than the Stones. Or would the better grip of the Stones on wet surfaces favor them for this application?

Your well considered opinions appreciated.

Are you at it again?
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
We are planning on the Puppy Dog Ride with BMW Owner's of Vermont this weekend.
Hi, Curtis, I was in the neighborhood this past weekend (Memorial Day) and rode some of the Puppy Dog roads, mostly below the Rutland-Springfield line.

I was there with my brother who got to ride the GS (he has no bike of his own), so it fell to me to pilot the Light Truck on the dirt roads.

I do have to say that the ME880's that I have worked commendably on dirt and the strewn "repair" gravel. This is the type of surface that prevails on the PDR and as long as you are cautious around potholes and deep, loose gravel, you should do all right. Of course, the sharp pebbles will cut down the life of your tires.

The rain will make some surfaces slick and you will have to be really careful, but I believe that you should manage on the Metzelers - however, you will be much slower that your GS-mounted buddies.

I rode most of the whole PDR route last year on the GS and would say that it is doable on the LT. You may bottom out on the shocks a few times and have a few sphincter moments in gravel, but it is doable.

Of course, Voyager's suggestion is spot on: if you do more of that type of riding, you should get a dual-sport machine. Needless to say, won't happen within next two days...

Best regards, Robert.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 11:07 pm.
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 4:49 am

Are there not enough roads to ride in your area that you have to ride in mud and gravel? I think if it were me I would find a different group of buddies and head in the direction opposite of your planned route! I can't imagine riding for miles dragging my boots and thinking I'm gonna die any second!!!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:10 am

Good morning!

Can you get your bike in to MaxBMW for some type of sevice? They gave me a '10 GSA loaner for the weekend last time, and it was great, especially with the 8+ gallon gas tank.

If I still had my GS I'd let you borrow it, it's a great change of pace, just needs the radio!

Kirk

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 9:19 pm

Having done a little mud riding on a LT, I wouldn't want to do that again anytime. Rain, mud and the fat lady two up (I assume the spouse is going) I'd find a GT or some other dual sport and leave the LT at home. JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in