LT Maiden Voyage Cross Country - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Talking LT Maiden Voyage Cross Country

Just got back from a 13 state 5,600 mile Louisiana to Seattle Washington and back ride. First trip I have taken on my 2006 K1200LT (Just bought it a few months ago). Ran the spectrum of weather with temperatures ranging from 30 to 104 degrees, fog, heavy rain, a white out blizzard, and 85 MPH wind gusts in N. Mexico. The bike is bone stock.

Pros
Not one mechanical problem (Yeah, I am hexed now for saying this!)
Handling. Wow! Running mesas, canyons, and mountains was a treat!
Heated grip! Not just for snowmobiles! Wonderful feature!
Smooth, powerful, refined. This seems to be a quality machine.

Cons
Seat. WTF? After 300 miles, it was a torture device. Maybe I am too skinny or something? Corbin is already on order
Tires. Metzelers are "long lasting" compared to others for the LT. Mine made it a total of 7K. 45 PSI, front and rear. The rear shows no center tread and the front is cupping. Perhaps this is normal? New tires on order. Going to use the same type.
Wind. Ok, yeah, 85 MPH wind gusts will blast anything, but is the LT fussy when it comes to crosswinds? Seemed like it.
Heat. The wind protection is SO good, I got baked. Soaking yourself drenching wet to cool off works for a total of 20 miles in 95 degree heat. Ask me how I know.

Summation
Awesome! Love it. Had a blast and can't wait to do it again (with a new seat!). Already plotting out a later summer trip and am on pins and needles for my seat and tires.It is a beautiful day and I am about to go wash the precious of its well earned grime. Hooray LT!

Brian-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 3:11 pm

Re: LT Maiden Voyage Cross Country

Atta boy! Ain't it great! I can see your grin all the way up here

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 3:32 pm

Sounds like you had a great trip Brian! One thing I know for sure is that you didn't encounter the 100*F + temperatures anywhere near Seattle! It's 1230 hrs here 160 miles south of Seattle and it's 61*F and raining like the dickens!

Nothing beats summertime in the great Northwet!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 2:29 am

Wink Re: LT Maiden Voyage Cross Country

Brian, congratulations on your "maiden voyage". Know what you mean about being ready to jump right back and do it again. These bikes (mine's an '03) feed your adrenalin in a special way. I can't get enough of it. Looking forward to my next long ride. It's really magic for me...and I suspect others have the same reaction.
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:41 am

Check out the Kontour seats.. he's a sponsor here.. and I can tell ya, he's got a helluva product.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 5:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Lightbulb Re: LT Maiden Voyage Cross Country

Maybe readjust your tire pressures to 42/43 front and 48/50 rear as most folks here on the site do. Have you verified that your tire gauge is accurate? It sounds like your tire wear problems are due to under-inflation. Over the 110K on my '02 I typically get around 20K on front 880's and 13-15K on the rears.

When you order new tires verify that they are not only the right size, but also the correct load rating. Metzeler makes a reinforced 880 load rated at "79" or 963 lbs. for the LT rear.
You want 120/70B17 58V TL ME880 front
and 160/70B17 79V TL ME880 rear

Motor On ,/'

Last edited by jkersh1; Jun 3rd, 2010 at 5:22 pm.
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:57 pm

cfell - I sent pricing requests to Ron this evening for a new se and have seen your support for his products.

I have to say that I am done with the stock seat after last weekend. Have been using a bead rider for the last 12K, but still get the pressure points. Maybe stubborn and cheap, but at 37K I think I've finally had it with the stock "comfort seat".
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 4:12 am

1+ on the Kontour seat. I bought mine from a fellow member of this forum, and I love it. Long rides? Let me at em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in