Name that part.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 3:03 am Thread Starter

Garage
Name that part....

...Yes its a trick question, but I have never heard of what I just experienced. So as a teaser, no story until it gets Identified.

As a side note..I was off the bike when "I noticed" it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2073.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	27603  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 3:06 am

Re: Name that part....

the kick down bar for the side stand

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 7:13 am

Looks like the part of the center stand that you don't need. You can use the side stand and the center stand at the same time now and get the tank really full.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 7:13 am

No problem .... a dab of JB Weld and a couple wraps with duct tape and it will be good as new.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:42 am

Is it for sale? I'm missing one just like it. Please include the JB Weld when shipping.
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:57 am

Now, for real:

Now, for real:

Did it just come off "by itself", or is it an aftermath of hitting something?

You did write you were off the machine, but: you did not jump on it too hard to get the bike on the stand, did you? Did it hurt?

Of course, it will buff right out...

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #7 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:10 am

Re: Now, for real:

Hey, Hoss - be pretty neat when you do the fix for that one, and 'maybe' think about adding one to the udder side too!?!?! And 'maybe' even a sidestand on the udder side!?!
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Garage

Oh how I miss the sarcastic humor of the people on this forum. The genuine American ingenuity that helped us kick the hell out of the Germans. Moving-onÖ.Yes, itís the center stand lever do-hicky and yes I was attempting to get it up (no pun, intended), on the second rock it broke off and the bike went overÖ Iíve never heard of the center stand breaking. Anyone else have disí issue?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 1:02 pm.
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:09 pm

WHAT??? The bike went over???? On HOSS????

Where's HELL and is it cold there yet?

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:56 pm

Hmmm. Hey Hoss, I guess the goober who posted "BMW falls short" may have really been onto something. Perhaps you can be the first to start a center stand doohickey failure registry and don't forget to scream at the top of your lungs that BMW should immediately start a recall of ALL LTs.

BTW, was this caused by a final drive failure?? Or perhaps the servo brakes or the ubiquitous fairing vibration???? Please come up with a solution quick...inquiring minds want to know! *

*No real factual or accurate data is needed. Just a knee-jerk reactionary hypothesis will suffice.

P.S. In all sincerity, I hope you or the bike weren't hurt in this unfortunate failure. And thanks for sharing. I know I'll be checking my center stand before the next ride.
post #11 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
...Yes its a trick question, but I have never heard of what I just experienced. So as a teaser, no story until it gets Identified. As a side note..I was off the bike when "I noticed" it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
the kick down bar for the side stand
Darn.....and I was thinking it was the kick start lever for the early model K1200LTs!

I did notice in the picture that the problem was going to happen eventually due to the inferior weld bond and lack of torsion/tension/compression afforded at the critical point at the bend angle. Ok....that was pure BS.....just wanted to make some dookie up!

Good luck on gettin' 'er fixed or replaced brother....fortunately, you're close to that yayhoo that is parting his bike out and you can get a replacement for pennies!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #12 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage

In all fairness, I think I was culpable in the failure. Riding the LT the hardest I've ever done (dam, that was fun) up by Yosemite. (Not following Ron K!) I noticed quite a few times I bottomed out in a few of the corners. At one point, rounding a corner I felt the bike (no noise) grab. It just felt like it bogged down, and then it was free again. I surmise that during my spirited ride I had caught the stand enough that it put enough stress to crack it ever so slightly... When I went to put it on the stand, the pavement was chewed up (tree roots) and like Scotty said "I'm given ya all she's got captain, she aint got no more", it broke and the bike fell away from me. Not being a virgin to dropping the bike, I thought it was no problem. Let me tell you, picking her up from the opposite side from the grab handle was a PITA!

Unluckily I was adjacent to a built up curb. When she fell she fell hard. Deep scrapes to the black side case bumper and a few light scratched to the side case itself. In addition to the new air vent courtesy of the J-peg. Not too concerned with either at this point as it just adds a little more character to Barbara...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2076.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	27609   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2074.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	27610  

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 3:24 pm

First time at about 80k where the center support meets one of the legs. After a long thread on this board I decided to let my local welder fix it. Just last week while changing the oil I noticed it has cracked in the same place on the other side this time. First time it broke while I was coming off the center stand in my garage and launched me onto a bench and busted the windshield. This time I caught it before it could launch me. I'm riding my other LT while I decide whether to replace it with a spare I have or have it welded. I'm thinking the weld will be stronger than what the spare as and original weld will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Oh how I miss the sarcastic humor of the people on this forum. The genuine American ingenuity that helped us kick the hell out of the Germans. Moving-onÖ.Yes, itís the center stand lever do-hicky and yes I was attempting to get it up (no pun, intended), on the second rock it broke off and the bike went overÖ Iíve never heard of the center stand breaking. Anyone else have disí issue?

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #14 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 3:47 pm

Dang Hoss! A busted doohickey and a drop in the same incident! Sometimes life sucks for an instant and then things get better! The good news is that Barbara was still rideable, you didn't bust her front window (previous post), and the trip went on!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 6:25 pm

Mine broke at the weld and bike went over also, as I was putting it up on the stand. I removed it welded both sides with triangle pieces on both legs, worked great until the bike disintergrated on airline highway in New Orleans! RIP "Beerburner"

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #16 of 16 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 5:05 pm

Mine broke at the weld as well but fortuneatly it did not cause me to fall over, a few bucks to flea bay and the postman brought me another. Mine broke from flexing when I put it up on the stand on uneven pavement at work, I am a bit more sensitive to getting it set solidly and on a level surface now so maybe it will last a bit longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in