Will Work For Tent Space or Not? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:41 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Will Work For Tent Space or Not?

Tong in cheek, but true and a thought process I playing with.

After 8 years in my current position I have been outsourced, my whole department. Not a surprise to me as I saw it coming and prepared a bit. I got a decent severance and will max on Unemployment so all is OK. I have had job leads and have multiple people contacting me. No fears of future employment but I have the luxury of having a bit of time off.

I had a break in employment in 1989 when I broke my back in three places. I was off 2 years with rehab and I had to go to College as I could not continue on as a Journeyman Glazier in the Glass industry. I have worked the last 17 years as a Network Administrator.

So to that end I would like to roam the USA a bit. I have bought some median price camping gear, well for what they cost hard to believe it is median price. You can wrap 400-500 up in a 2 man 3 season free standing tent alone. And bags are insane, you can go into that price range easy if you choose. However I wanted top rated gear, and median pricing is high. But you do get what you pay for in backpacking light to ultralight equipment.

So what I would like to do is head South from PA, cut west along the gulf coast avoiding what I need to from the spill, see New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, up the coast and across the north states back to PA. No time restraints, other then a time frame of 6-8 weeks or so.

Tracus and I go on our yearly trip and this year New York, Adirondacks and a jump into Canada. That is the 12-20 of June. After that I will be open for suggestions.

Now I am not a bum and can pay my way no issues but was looking to this forum on ideas, help, suggestions, camping areas, events, Tech Sessions, tips,etc. I will travel with base tools and GS-911. I do have pretty good experience on most service related LT items and slave/weep hole drilling. So I would be willing to meet on a sort of a roaming Tech Session.

I am just looking to meet people, and see if I can barter any skills for a shower or patch of grass. I have done a lot of things in my life, I was a painter, a roofer, a gardener, all forms of glass work, framer, siding, retail, heavy equipment, and Network Administration. All or any of these skills I offer in exchange for nothing or something?

Again this is not to bum my way around but rather meet and greet, share, help, work, have big fun.

Just figured I would throw it out there and see what you guys think? I was a bit hesitant on posting this but hey if you don't ask you never know. I don't think I will have this opportunity for a few more years, like 8 or 9, and has been a dream, desire, want for as long as I can remember.

I really did not bum when I lost my job as I had expected it and I am pretty employable in my field. But on the day it happened two people said the same thing to me in less then 20 minuets. When one door closes, another opens. Sounds a bit hokey but that perspective is the one I chose to follow.

So here I am preparing for my yearly trip and then thinking of my "lifetime" trip.

Thoughts?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:08 am

Re: Will Work For Tent Space or Not?

A miniscule thought among the many you'll receive, Lee --- when traveling Texas, and carrying a Smart Phone with internet connectivity, or a laptop, know that all of the rest stops in Texas have free Wi-Fi. Lets you connect with loved ones, family, friends, and this community; and allows you to keep up with current news, etc.

Have a wonderful 'experience' Lee --- I betcha Trakus wishes he could join you.
post #3 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:52 am

I am really close to the bay area and an hour from the coast. Depending on when and where you are going, I have a big yard in the back. I also have a bed open on the inside if you can get along with a couple cats and one dog.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:17 am

Hey Lee,
Congrats on losing your job!

You are welcome to tent here in the deep south of Vermont on your way through.
Heck, we might even muck out a stall in the barn for you!
(And the barn and shop need roof coating this year, too. I'd love to have help with that )

You a member of BMWMOA? Got an Owner's Anonymous? Did you list yourself in it?
In that book there are multiple listings for what folks are willing to provide, KK for coffee and conversation, tent space, work space, tools, trailer, etc.

Over the years I have thought that a great trip could be had by just calling folks who list in OA and asking if they have a spot for a tent for a night. You'd meet some great folks and have the experience of a lifetime.
post #5 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:21 am

Congrats on the "freedom"....

Have a great time!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:41 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have to say that in this short of time I have a lot of responses PM. I am off to get USA map and start sticking pins in it

I just want to see what hops I can make in a loop and no matter anything else meeting for breakfast and a ride in a strange state is more than I could hope for. Anything else is just joys and bonus of life.

I will carry a Laptop but no web enabled phone. As an IT Manager I was spoiled as I have had one since they were available. But I refuse to have a 60.00 + cell phone bill, it pisses me off I need to spend 29.00 a month for just the cell service cheapest plan. Not that I cant afford it, I just wont. However I may drop my home for a cell, and port my home number to the cell. Then it may be more economical, or a break even for web service.

Great tip on the wi-fi though Dick. I was gonna look that up as I am making lists for information on such things as hot spots, Borden Books, Starbucks, Library's, anyplace I know I can get a connection to document the journey with pics and places. I know KOA camp grounds have it also. It is so common compared to when I stepped into this industry!

Oh, and "poor" Tracus and his lovely wife will be traveling in their RV for a bunch of the same time I am trying to get out. We will look at places to meet while we are on the road. He has a very nice RV and not sure if he is gonna pull his RT or not? Yes we go for 10 days and then he and his wife go for a month or 6 weeks or whatever. For the last 17 years I went back to work until next June. He is a Teacher and enjoys that summer off perk.

Well I have to say I may be able to pull this off and meet some great people on the way. All I am looking for is a contact so I am not the stranger in the strange land. I have an anonymous book but sure is nice to have a number of someone in the are who knows a bit about you.

One way or another it is shaping up to be a very exciting experience in my life, and today, life is good. I figure what is the worst that can happen have to pull off and find a place to pitch a tent, or take a shower in a truck stop, or a pond? Hell I know I am older now, but I went way further, with way less back in the day, and it all worked out.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:04 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Hey Lee,
Congrats on losing your job!

You are welcome to tent here in the deep south of Vermont on your way through.
Heck, we might even muck out a stall in the barn for you!
(And the barn and shop need roof coating this year, too. I'd love to have help with that )

You a member of BMWMOA? Got an Owner's Anonymous? Did you list yourself in it?
In that book there are multiple listings for what folks are willing to provide, KK for coffee and conversation, tent space, work space, tools, trailer, etc.

Over the years I have thought that a great trip could be had by just calling folks who list in OA and asking if they have a spot for a tent for a night. You'd meet some great folks and have the experience of a lifetime.
Thanks Curtis for the congratulations

Ahh I would muck a stall and have, but not sleeping in the stall. I would have to look at the pitch of the roof, but I am not scared of roof jacks. Cherry picker or bucket would be better.

Well before you get too busy I need to make that run up with this FD I been jawing about. I am not sure how long it is to you from Harrisburg 8 or 9 hours? Not sure at all. But I could maybe run up later this week or early next week one day and turn around and run home in the am. I would like to know my backup is good to go when I am considering some mileage soon. PM with ideas or thoughts.

At any rate thanks for the offer and I am dead serious I would help anyone do anything including painting a barn roof. Hell I used to be a kettle guy and drop chunks of asphalt in the pot and keep the hot mop buckets full. And I used to wear a suite and sit with Judges and resolve their Computer Issues. Work is a good part of life when you enjoy doing it for the right reasons.

Kinda weird I am off work and looking for "work" to ride around the USA. Could be why my Superintendents Letter of Reference says exceptional work ethic?

Thanks again Curtis..............

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:18 pm

Garage

Onya Lee

c'mon down under. don't forget us we live to far apart to have tech sessions. I would love to have my clutch changed

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:20 pm

Lee,

I live in Virginia Beach on the weekends and work and stay in DC (Falls Church) during the week.

You are welcome to stay at either place along your route, no work required...unless you insist. ; )

Also, the National Park pass might be worth the cost while travelling the country. I believe it is $75???

Try www.couchsurfing,org

You might be pleasantly surprised how inexpensive "free" can be.

Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #10 of 34 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check out this site!
Inexpensive way to travel and meet new friends along the way.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 34 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 7:24 am

Let me be the first to offer you a spot in Minnesota. Plenty of room both inside and out. No work required.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #12 of 34 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 7:28 am

Lee,
if you are motoring past Rockford, IL and need a place to stay or some work done on your bike let me know. I might have enough room in the garage for your bike and may even have the lift dug out. In the process of putting an addition on the house so the garage is a mess.

Also have a couple acres that you are welcome to set a tent on if'n you aren't scared of beagles

Not sure but I believe they have my listing correct on Annonymous book. I have PU and trailer for worst case scenario. No work required but if your timing is right will need the new roof shingled

Ride safe and enjoy since I haven't even started my LT this year

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #13 of 34 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 8:53 am
Cat Herder

If you come through Houston, you have the choice of pitching you tent in our backyard if you are mosquito resistent or just manly enough, or ... what I would suggest is that you come inside, have a cold one and we can kick tires.

Karen and I enjoy to have visitors.
post #14 of 34 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:47 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Wow this is so cool. The Couch site is really cool.

I will try to get something tentative after the 30th of June. I will probably leave after July 4th a bit and go from there. Like I said I want to go South from PA, then cut west wherever.

Seems like Texas is not only a very large state, it has some mighty hospitable people. It appears I may spend a few days layover there as I have a lost love there and would be nice to see her. I really want to see, ride Colorado, Nevada, California, up the coast, and then East on any route, or must see route, anyone suggests. I would like to do 500 + or - mile days but of course that depends on fate, generosity, and just life in general, with a sprinkle of "shit happens" thrown in for good measure.

BigBear brought up a good point I was hashing around and that is fluids and tires. The fluids I could can do in a parking lot on the center stand. However not my first choice due to disposal and capture of fluids. Tires I can spoon off and on and have a bead breaker that breaks down and travels with the spoons. I for one will not boycott AZ so SWMoto for tires if needed. Hell I will even pay their sales tax to help support them! Anonnamous
Book should work out there.

Again I can not thank all who have replied. I am dead serious on if someone needs help or I can work to pay for water and some electric to charge all the electronics I travel with, so be it. If a IT guy has a project and needs to image or roll out equipment I would earn my keep that way, if someone needs a roof on in a time frame I would be there, if you just want to meet to do a service on your LT one on one I will try to make it.

Or if the roof will go another year, you got the service down on the LT, then I would be just as happy to sit and enjoy your company, your part of the world, and enjoy life with you and yours for a time.

Again I will try to tidy up and start a tentative schedule and route by end of June.

Cannot say enough what a great forum and great people here. To be honest I never thought I would ever get this opportunity or fulfill this one Bucket List. Looks like it may happen and at such an unexpected time, and really unexpected time of my life.

I remember something about lemons and lemonade, but thought that was because they didn't have orange trees

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #15 of 34 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

So tentative schedule with major stops so far.

7/12 -7/15 Travel to Hill City, SD
7/16/-7/19 Ride the area

7/19-7/21 Travel to Spokane, WA

Here is very wide space and open for any suggestions.

My next meeting point is West Yellowstone, MT KOA on 8/4

8/5-8/8 ride area West Yellowstone, MT

8/9 DuBois/ Wind River, WY
8/9-8/11 ride area

8/12 Travel to Vernal, UT
8/13-8/14 Ride area

Now I really want to see a bit of CA especially if I shoot for the coast out of Spokane and then down?

Anyway a bunch of people were very gracious and just wanted to post this out rather then answer all who have I responded to individually. See it is matching up to offers and timing and such.

The first four days would be great for tent space or local camp areas. Looks like:

Ohio, mid way through, Northern area
IL
Mitchell, SD or there about.

So a start of a schedule. I am pretty loose on it for sure.

I want to see Texas, Nevada, Colorado, CA so may need to do some of it between 7/24-/8/2

I may need to save that great state of Texas for when I turn home and do it then. I know Texas is a big state but I really want to see some of it while I have a chance.

All of this is a first time see for me, so Christmas is very early.

Any and all suggestions and help are appreciated for sure.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 34 Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=LAF] Now I really want to see a bit of CA

If you make it to Ca. I can set you up to camp out side my family cabin in South Lake Tahoe (8mi from lake). The backyard is 40 acres of forest. If you arrive after Aug 9, I'll get you in the cabin.
post #17 of 34 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 7:55 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=seahabit]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Now I really want to see a bit of CA

If you make it to Ca. I can set you up to camp out side my family cabin in South Lake Tahoe (8mi from lake). The backyard is 40 acres of forest. If you arrive after Aug 9, I'll get you in the cabin.
The back 40 sounds just fine! I will work on getting set up for it and contacting you. I have a Aunt in Carmel, CA so looking to see her also.

Thank you so much and like I said the back 40 sounds great and I wont be under foot for anybody.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 34 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I may need to save that great state of Texas for when I turn home and do it then. I know Texas is a big state but I really want to see some of it while I have a chance.
I have no space to camp out in, and I am not sure the HOA would like this... but I am moving into a house with 2 extra rooms and you are more than welcome to be a house guest after August 1st.

Here is were I live: http://www.thewoodlands.com/

About 20miles north of downtown Houston. Gateway to some decent (for South Texas) riding.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #19 of 34 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 2:57 pm

If you are passing through North Arkansas, my camper stays plugged in here at my house and you are welcome to it. Give me a call: 870-405-3693

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #20 of 34 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 5:23 pm

I'm about 35 miles west of Charlotte, NC.

By all means drop in if you are in the area.

B D R
post #21 of 34 Old Jul 10th, 2010, 6:05 pm

If you are going to be close to Rockford, IL I have a couple of acres that might be enough tent space for you. Let me know.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #22 of 34 Old Jul 11th, 2010, 7:28 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
If you are going to be close to Rockford, IL I have a couple of acres that might be enough tent space for you. Let me know.

Roy
I will. Looks like Tuesday or Wednesday I will be in that area and coming through there. I will PM you about it.

Thank you for the offer for sure! A couple of acres will be tight but I will try to work with it

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #23 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:01 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well sitting in KOA at Mt, Rushmore, 1990 miles in 3 days. What a ride.

Got vertigo about 1/3 of the way through South Dakota. Never have seen such open country before! Seriously it messed with me seeing suck a distance. Never imagined how it opened up! I mean I was looking for it and went up a hill, down a hill and there it was. Man talk about a view see for a bunch of miles!

Great ride and while it was long it was something else. What a start.

Hope to meet some of you. This leg of the trip is progressing just fantastic.

Washshington State is next af\ter 4 dsys here.

Life is good and this Country is really something. I am in awe. I rode all back roads and that is were I am meeting and seeing great people..

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #24 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 1:47 am

Well, when life gave you lemons, you made lemonaide. I have a friend that just did the four corners and Canada. I'm jealous of you both, but will do it myself one day. In the meantime, I live in Newport News, VA during the week and Charlotte, NC on the weekends. You are welcome at either place. Plenty of yard space to spread out your gear, but extra rooms and a hot shower in either house. Just give me a little advanced notice. No work necessary, it would just be nice to talk bikes. I have an 03 LTC and a '94 K75S and I love them both.

Travel safe and keep us posted.

03 K1200LTC
94 K75S
Too Many others to list
post #25 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Not to piss on the fire, but your traveling the country while collecting unemployment?
Ain't America great! And to think those bastard replublicans wouldn't extend the benefits.
post #26 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 9:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia
Not to piss on the fire, but your traveling the country while collecting unemployment?
Ain't America great! And to think those bastard replublicans wouldn't extend the benefits.
Did you read all of the prior posts? It sounded to me like he was more than willing to work for anyone who had work available.

They must have changed the rules in PA since I last collected unemployment (about 30 years ago), but back then you had to show up at the unemployment office every week and check in for available work. No show and no check for that week. I suspect the bleeding heart liberals have long ago removed that requirement.

I don't begrudge LAF for a second. He sounds like a hard working man to me and is simply taking a little vacation that is probably deserved if not expected. I suspect he will be back to work soon enough.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 9:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

LAF is out on the road looking for work. And he's doing it with style.
post #28 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:02 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Today was in the Custer State Park. What a ride and view. Had buffalo close the road and they were next to us on the bike I mean if I reached out, and you don't do that, I could have touched them, It was a heard and they had us and a bunch of people stopped. Then a bunch of Mules shut us down. They were sticking their heads in cars and trucks. Two at a time they were in multiple cars and had the road shut down. Had one walking right down the middle of my lane not sure what to do and I went left he stayed in the middle of the lane.

Needles Highway was awesome also!

Off to the Bad Lands tomorrow and it should be a hoot.

Life is good and these sights are beyond my wildest exppectations.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #29 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:16 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia

I dont know you from mud so I would apperciate you not making something out of nothing. I was born and raised here, 53 years old, worked solid since I was 15, and my job was outsourced.

So while I owe you no explanation, but I am living off my savings on the road and my unemployment is paying my rent and utilities.

I will go back to work as I will need about 10 years to retire but I think I need a break for the trauma of being outsourced after 19 years of doing something.

Don't jack my thread here as it is a I love American not a political tirade and a judgment call of me, by you.

You don't know me. So please don't jack my thread and judge me.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #30 of 34 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 12:33 am

Lee I am so envious I hope you are taking lot's of great pictures.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #31 of 34 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 12:51 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Here is a Bison Shot from Custer Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bison.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	28150  

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #32 of 34 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 3:13 am

I like the color of your bike. One of the prettier color me thinks.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #33 of 34 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 12:56 pm

A little late into this thread, and I see you are west of me in SD ( I am in western WI, just off I 94) so it may be moot, but I have tent space/nice barn if ya gets back this way. Also have cold beer and bratwurst..Ride safe LAF....
post #34 of 34 Old Jul 17th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Lee, on your return if you come as far north as Missouri, I have plenty of tent space or a room if you like. We are right in the middle of the state. Have a great trip.
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in