BMW falls short in so many ways... it's really sad. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:02 am Thread Starter

BMW falls short in so many ways... it's really sad.

Hi,

As much as I am trying to love my new (used) K1200LTe, there are too many things that simply suck about this bike.

The luggage is a joke and holds only half of my previous bike (3 Givi 46L cases).
The stock seat is just ok and I still have to try the Corbin yet.
The fairing supposedly has a vibration problem on the right side.
Torx... enough said.
Throttle with the new cable upgrade is still hard on the hands and wrist.
The side kickstand is a sadistic joke and you can't park in 50% of parking lots or shoulders.
The center stand and that plate... both are coming off as I am sick of bottoming out already.
The oil filter and changing it is also of poor design (so I've heard).
The spark plugs are on the left side so that when you park it on the sidestand, it smokes on start up?

The only sweet thing about the bike seems to be that it is in fact, a BMW and people get excited in seeing one? Oh, that and the very decent fuel mileage.

Ok, I am done ranting. Hopefully nobody takes it personal as I am simply stating a fact by way of the bike I was use to riding for many years. To each their own as they say. It looks like a new bike is in my near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:47 am
Super Moderator

Re: BMW falls short in so many ways... it's really sad.

Sell it and move on if you don't like it. Most of this you could have found out before purchasing and saved yourself the headache, and the complaining.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:53 am

Sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the bike.

This is my first bike, so I dont have so much experience how other bikes has it with oil change etc but Im quit sure that every bike can make you love her and hate her! Its your choice how you choose...

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)

post #4 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:02 am

Yep! Plenty of bikes out there that might be better suited for you. The LT certainly isn't for everyone. Go back to what you had and be happy! Life is too short to be miserable on a Beemer! 50% of the parking lots? I've yet to find a parking lot where I couldn't find a place to safely park the LT. I have come across a few parking places that weren't suitable but never a whole lot.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:04 am

Garage

Jack
no one will take it personal, oh all right someone will.... to me it just sounds like you have a couple of issues that need sorting and they are mostly all fixable, you do say it is a used bike,, and sounds like it just needs a bit of care to bring it back. Yep they all smoke if on the side stand the oil passes the rings entering the combustion chamber. embarrassing (maybe) do I care (no). that's why I park it on the "centre stand" that you are going to take off !!!
if you take off the skid plate and hit something hard you will break the gearbox $$$$$
if you park on the side stand always leave it in 1st gear
adjust the suspension up if it is bottoming out or maybe the shocks are done,
When you have put in some miles you will own the beast and I bet then the only thing to do is "buy a bloody trailer" if you are going to carry so much stuff
hope this cheers you up

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:59 am

You should probably buy a Harley Davidson, then all your problems would be solved. Well, maybe not. I'm sure there are plenty of bikes out there that would have much less significant issues. Good luck.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

post #7 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 5:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackConner
Hi,

As much as I am trying to love my new (used) K1200LTe, there are too many things that simply suck about this bike.

The luggage is a joke and holds only half of my previous bike (3 Givi 46L cases).

On the other hand you dont have to even WONDER if it will fall off, and not to mention wheres the Goddamned keys to my Givi's.

Different peoples have different design on both arms legs and bottoms. You can hardly expect ANY stock item to fulfill ALL your desires.

SUPPOSEDLY.. Do you, or Don't you have a vibration problem on the right side?

Torx... enough said.

Torx is ment to give you a fairly good hope in not wrecking the screw when you tighten or loosen it. It even gives a good grip on the screw before you insert it at the right location which sometimes are in odd places and angles on the K1200LT

Try a Throttle Rocker or use the Cruisecontrol whenever you can. I myself has artritis in my right hand, most in the wrist. So using the throttle will give me pains in the wrist after only a short time. But after I got the Throttle rocker, those problems arent present anymore.

The side kickstand is a sadistic joke and you can't park in 50% of parking lots or shoulders.

Try an alternative methode of parking the beast. Its not always the first way that is the most obvious to park it.

The center stand and that plate... both are coming off as I am sick of bottoming out already.

OK

Not really. Its a bit odd to open the lid beneath the engine to get access to the oilfilter, but on the other hand all the oil is to be changed anyway. Truly its sometimes a minor problem on loosen the oilfilter, but on the other hand its to be changed anyway, so as a last effort you can put a screwdriver through it to take it off that way. Works on cars too. Try it yourself and then give it the final judgement

The spark plugs are on the left side so that when you park it on the sidestand, it smokes on start up?

This is rather easy to avoid, just turn engine off while upright, wait a couple of seconds (remove your gloves for instance) then put it on the sidestand. Smoke is then at no problem for me atleast.

The only sweet thing about the bike seems to be that it is in fact, a BMW and people get excited in seeing one? Oh, that and the very decent fuel mileage.

Ok, I am done ranting. Hopefully nobody takes it personal as I am simply stating a fact by way of the bike I was use to riding for many years. To each their own as they say. It looks like a new bike is in my near future.

Give the bike some time, it will grow on you, or you will grow into it. After all how many bikes are perfect the first time you sat on it? Most or many bikes needs some adjusting or you need to learn the tricks of the trade using it.

Anyway good luck with your future desicion on what bike to have. The good thing is that you hae found this forum, wher you can adress most if not all problems that may occur.
post #8 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 5:36 am

... and why did you buy it in the first place?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 7:52 am

Thumbs up Re: BMW falls short in so many ways... it's really sad.

Quote:
Hopefully nobody takes it personal...

I'm going to be watching this thread. This is going to be a good one!
post #10 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:34 am

Trolling?
post #11 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:34 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

No one will take it personal. Because that is what this sport is about, personal choice.

While I don't think the items you list are insurmountable, your choice on what fits you. Some of the major issues with the LT have been solved, resolved, and can be worked around.

IMHO the FD is no longer an issue thanks to Curtis and his "hobby" with FD.

Seems your biggest issue is shocks. I took my stock off at 11,000 miles and been running all Hyper Pro Shocks. They set my bike taller then the almost new OEM. Also you can add oil to the rear adjuster on the shock and that fixes the issue also. Do a search on that topic and you will find the answers.

The seat well they plain suck. Aftermarket is the only way to get it right, or bead rider seats and sheepskin gel butt pads are very nice also

Throttle cables are notorious must replace on older bikes, and if someone tried to "lube" them you are really porked. Only solution is the upgrade to new cables.

Since it sounds like you have an older bike it probably needs maintenance.

Oil system while strange is no big deal and while not handy, it ain't a V-twin so yes you have to get used to wrenching on them.

The screws are what they are, I have had no problems, however there are replacement kits available with allen heads I bought a full kit and have never used them. Well I take that back, the kit has a nice rubber washer on each one so I did replace a few where I thought the washer would deaden vibration.

Fairing rattle or not? Mirror not on all 3 mounts? Winglets vibrating, windshield hitting in full down position? Easy fix to learn Tupperware removal and see what is up?

However if you don't like the bike just sell it and get what calls to you.

Hope you get sorted out.

And welcome no matter which way you go

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:25 am

"Enough said"? You do need to say something.

I do not understand why anyone thinks Torx drives are an issue in any way. Torx (and now Torx Plus) is the latest in a long line of improvements in fastener design.

First was slotted, which should be totally banned from the face of the earth. Slotted drive has absolutely no redeeming quality.

Then square drive, pretty decent, used mostly in woodworking, but making a comeback in such things as deck screws.

Then came Hex Key drive (erroneously called Allen, which is a brand name). That was a huge improvement, used mostly in mechanical items, high strength fasteners.

Torx was invented to improve greatly on Hex Key, and it did. Now Torx is far more common than it was just a few years ago due to it's improved drive torque, resistance to strip out, and possibility to use shallower drive cups in screw heads for equal or better torque than Hex Key with higher screw head strength.

Up until a few years ago, Torx tools were less common, but now are readily available anywhere.

Torx for quite some time was furnished mainly by it's inventor, Camcar division of Textron. Now there are many manufacturers due to the demand by industry for the better fastener. Torx is much better for automated assembly systems.

Inverted Torx is now being used more on larger bolts, a big improvement over Hex Head for many of the same reasons.

I found another nice thing about Torx screws on the LT, on a couple of screws it is hard to get a driver into a screw straight, but you can use the next size down driver (T20 instead of T25) and it will work great at a pretty good angle if you do not need full torque.

Do you not like the fact that you now have to buy a couple of new tools? Or is it the fact that you cannot go to the local hardware store to get replacement screws? To me, neither was a reason to not like the fact that BMW (and many other vehicle manufacturers) now use them for the obvious improvements.

To me, switching Torx fasteners to Hex Key is a downgrade.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:12 am

dshealy (snip)........ First was slotted, which should be totally banned from the face of the earth. Slotted drive has absolutely no redeeming quality. (end snip)

Not totally banned. It's a great way to remove a torx drive fastener when the splines strip out. A little Dremel, a little abrasive wheel and voila!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2

I wonder what Messy13 Version 1 would say?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:48 am

Angry Re: BMW falls short in so many ways... it's really sad.

I take this very personally and can beat you up!
post #16 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:01 am

OH YEAH? Well my dad can beat up your dad!!!
post #17 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:14 am

There's something "wrong" with the LT? Dang.. I'm gonna have to start paying attention..

Speaking of "attention".. how about this..

Lose the lumps, not the lesson....

Surely you can learn... if not, enjoy the "braille lumps".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:15 am

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Probably something much shorter and even kinder.
post #19 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:26 am

Talking Re: BMW falls short in so many ways... it's really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Quote:
Probably something much shorter and even kinder.
Yet my mind is filled with doubt..!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #20 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:31 am

Vibration? Likely lost the little rubber insulator? Easy to fix. Show me any other bike that has less than ONE vibration?

Torx? They rock! I haven't stripped one out yet.

Oil change? Weird but not insurmountable. At least you don't have to remove the exhaust system like on some.

Skid plate? Thanks BMW for including it. Hit it twice yesterday. Better than the bottom of the motor.

Center stand? Ought to be a law that motorcycles MUST have them. And if you put bike on center stand, alleviates the smoking on startup most every time.

Luggage? Holds plenty. How far are you going anyway? Givi isn't OEm, so I assume you you had to ADD luggage to prev bike. Plenty to choose from there, not so much on touoring bikes in the class of the LT. What 3 others - the Vision, HD, Gold Wing. All similar.

Seat? As good as any other stocker I've sat on for any length and is adjustable for hgt.

There are plenty of great bikes out there. I would love to have another Vstrom fully equipped. But the LT is such a nice bike and it handles so well that I wouldn't give mine up for any of those reasons. Sorry you feel that way.

My gripe would be that shocks and other stuff I'd like to have are so darned expensive after the crappy resale that allowed me to buy the bike cheaply, in the first place. I just hve to wear it out in stock form. Not having much luck there either.... : )

Randy
post #21 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:56 am

Rant! What rant? Stick around a while and you'll enjoy some humdingers, oh, and you might get to like the bike you fell in love with two weeks ago!

You've already had replies from guys trying to be helpfull, take their advice and deal with some of the issues. And if you use the bike, I mean really use it as intended, you might discover how good it is despite the shortcomings. And some of your issues... are they really a big deal or are you just having a bad hair day? For instance we can do a continental trip with the topbox empty (for bringing back wine from France!). Do you really need 3 x 46l.

Kevin.
post #22 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:30 pm

On further reflection, I think ole' "Jack" is onto something. Allow me to list what I believe to be BMW's shortcomings:
My bike did not come with lifetime tires. I actually have to change them WTF?
My bike did not come with lifetime oil! Again, I have to change it. What's up with THAT?
My CD changer did not come with my 6 favorite CDs, AND the radio presets were not, repeat NOT, set to my favorite stations.
On my bike, parts wear out. HOLY CHIT, who knew? Shouldn't parts, like clutches, brakes, shocks & springs, and bearings last for F#@&+ng ever?
And the fairings? Should they NOT have come from der faderlund with "ever clean" coatings? I actually had to wash the POS!!
That's it, I'm done with this pile 'O crap. I'm gettin' a Harley. Of wait, I have one. Never mind.
post #23 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:07 pm

I wouldn't get worked up fellas, nor expend any energy with an intelligent rebuttal to such an intentionally provocative thread, started by somebody that's only been with us for 3 months. I mean no disrespect, but it would seem a safe bet that OP hasn't given the bike a fair shake, that is, IF he even has one. Either way, I might suggest that he run as fast as possible back to the highly coveted bike that he was "used to riding for years"...as it must certainly be a superior machine.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #24 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Whazzzup Jack? This was your post from just a while ago!

And How's about this one?
Clicky-Clicky!

I really feel that you just violated my virgin sister!

Serenity is her name.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #25 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:35 pm

I probably should keep my nose (and my metaphors) out of this, but.......
I don't want to sound like some misogynist or a sexist or anything....but motorcycles really ARE like women. They all have something within them that will drive you wild.......and they all have something in them that will infuriate you.......and to what degree this affects you varies from man to man.
Like women......some motorcycles have traits and attributes that you would kill for.....and some have attributes that make you want to just friggin' scream.........and almost always they reside in the same motorcycle (and woman) at the same time.
I don't think that there is anyone who hasn't been ticked off at their motorcycle....or their Significant Other...at one time or another. Usually...there is something there that will bring us back and make the relationship stronger. If not, then we move on.
But for goodness sake, we get to do a MUCH more thorough check out of our bikes than our women. There are sites (like this one) where a bikes faults....and charms...are exposed. Saying that you bought a motorcycle 'blind' doesn't work anymore. It's kind of like saying that you are breaking up with Kate Hudson because she is flat...I mean....you KNEW that going in!
So if you have decided that you don't like your LT after all.....get rid of it ASAP and get something that 'fits' your criteria.....something that you can build a good relationship with!
Life is too short to ride a motorcycle that you are disillusioned with.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #26 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 1:39 pm

I look at my LT and think "wow this bike can't be any more perfect" i've had many bikes and this is my favorite. the problems u mentioned i either don't have or don't care about.

good luck

02 LT
post #27 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:31 pm

Blaw Blah Blah. Oil easy i think. yep rattles change screws all gone. side stand yep a pain move to new spot all set. H.D. nope dont like to tighten bolts after every ride thanks...
how far you ridden her? not far i'ed say. because the first time you drop a gear and twist you right wrist hard you will see why we ride one.and the rest just fades in to the back ground. take some time to get use to the bike before trading..
Good luck in whatever you do...
post #28 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:37 pm
Cat Herder

Don't feed the trolls, folks.
post #29 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:43 pm

Never had a bike with so few issue's and I've had a bunch what's wrong with Torx? unlike a certain other bike that requires Bolt's with locking washers Locktite and ducktape to keep it from flying apart this bike has as close to no vibration as can possibly be found.

I say sell it far above to many issue for you.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #30 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 2:59 pm

hmmmmmm......

F
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obvious_troll.preview.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	27591   Click image for larger version

Name:	dnftt1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	27592  

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #31 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:14 pm

Maybe he did hurt a few feelings by expressing his experiences. Certainly looks that way.

What the OP is feeling is very real to him. He had high expectations and was given less than that. But I must express my confusing at the manner some of you have seen fit to respond to his distress. Falls far outside of the expectations Id expected thats for sure. He needs support and help not condemnation and ridicule. This is not a Honda Sports Bike forum....is it? You only have to read his prior threads to understand that his issues are genuine and he is not Trolling.
post #32 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:26 pm Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the replies.

First, I'm hardly a troll or a provocateur... I don't know who's who here, nor what you guys (mostly) are made of (who are the whiners and who are the winners).

This said, I merely pointed out the problems I have found with the bike and surprised they exist in something from this higher end machine.

On Torx, the gripe is, they are often unavailable. I have a set and therefore, it is not a problem, but I needed one in a pinch and sadly, most people don't have them in their toolbox usually. I wound up getting a set to work on my last car, an E430, where I ran into the same.

As for HD and Goldwing (the only other competitors at this time), I've riden both first before this purchase and they didn't have the features I was looking for at this time. The Goldwing was going to Japan to get redesigned, so I'd rather wait and see what comes of it. The Harley, simply, I don't want to be "That guy". The BMW is unique enough in that everyone doesn't have one and it has every feature I am looking for in a bike, albeit, falling short in some areas.

To Axel and Rando, thanks for the answers I am looking for in solving a fix. I had the mechanic's manual to my previous bike and short of doing the timing chain (more out of laziness) I could take apart anything on it and put it back together, no problem.

And the reason I posted this post this way, I knew it would get attention when I reread it before hitting the submit button, but it really reflected the emotion I was feeling having come home from this trip and dealing with these "minor" issues.

Anyone I offended, stop with the sandy vagina routine (having an irritated "see you next Tuesday" that is). You didn't design the bike and the bike isn't a part of you, therefore, it's NOT an attack on you.

Rkimmel2, unless you are an MMA fighter, even if you win, I promise, make sure your insurance is up to date because we are both going to get hurt...

Peace.
post #33 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:33 pm

Jack's issues may be real but they don't seem to have much to do with BMW falling "short in so many ways. His bike is obviously a pre-2005 with who knows how many miles.

If the skid plate is bottoming, something I have done only a few times and I weigh upwards of 260, travel loaded and often two up, seems that there must be some suspension sag.

If the luggage capacity is too small seems as if someone didn't do their homework prior to purchase.

Show me the motorcycle with the universally comfortable seat.

Parking on center stand in a grass field and the bike fell over? How is this a BMW issue?

One can go on but it seems as if all the "sadness" is due to issues of personal preference rather than BMW falling short.

Roger
post #34 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Yep! Plenty of bikes out there that might be better suited for you. The LT certainly isn't for everyone. Go back to what you had and be happy! Life is too short to be miserable on a Beemer! 50% of the parking lots? I've yet to find a parking lot where I couldn't find a place to safely park the LT. I have come across a few parking places that weren't suitable but never a whole lot.

Loren
I think the 50% he is referring to is the other half of the country! Or....the other half of the parking lots we can all find a good spot to prop-'er-up!

JackConner.....
You may be on to something here.....I too am disappointed in some of the luxuries not included with the LT.....like:
1. an Air Conditioner (evidently many complain about wearing ATGATT in the hot Texas summer months....some are complaining as far north as Canada!)
2. a mute (or eject) button for the nagging passenger
3. and my favorite of all time.....no depreciation in the value of the bike for future trade ins!!!

If you do decide to trade down in your ride to a lesser quality bike (HD, Kawa, Honda, Suzmuki, Victory, etc.), make sure you turn your BMW Roundel(s) over to the next lucky owner! We all wish you luck on your quest for the Holy Motorcycle Grail!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #35 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 4:06 pm

SeeI knew this would eventually happen.. Its starting to become a little offensive and hostile.

Last edited by Xavier6162; Jun 1st, 2010 at 4:39 pm.
post #36 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 5:19 pm

A little different perspective here. Every morning at around 6:30 am I go my garage and get on a motorcycle. At 6:35 my day is made. I am riding on an extension of myself (my Katra for you StarTrek fans) and by the time I get to work a half hour later, I am already way ahead of the corporate rat race game. It is difference between riding on and riding with the bike.

Most people I work with know I ride the LT (and I have never volunteered that) and at the end of the day, I know that I am going to have a Zen moment of some king going home...if if the traffic is bad.

BTW the other half of my garage has a roundel with four wheels on it. While I love that incarnation of Bavarian engineering, it has already had three warranty issues at just over 3000 miles. The two wheeled version...nada.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #37 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 5:47 pm

Okay, now that it's out of my system...just find something you like.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #38 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 6:29 pm

Here.. let me help ya...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...StartSomething

or...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...something.html

See, we are a helpful bunch.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #39 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 7:05 pm

Quote:

--------------------------snipped--------------------------------
On Torx, the gripe is, they are often unavailable. I have a set and therefore, it is not a problem, but I needed one in a pinch and sadly, most people don't have them in their toolbox usually. I wound up getting a set to work on my last car, an E430, where I ran into the same.
You only need one Torx driver kept on the bike, a T25, and if I remember correctly there may be a couple of T20s that are rarely ever removed. Just keep a good T25 driver in your toolkit on the bike, and you will not have to worry about it. If you need one in a pinch, surely the bike will be there too.

One small tool is surely not something to be very concerned about, too easy to obtain and carry. There was an "L" shaped Torx driver in the tool kit on my bike, but the tool kit has been reduced considerably on the later models, do not know if they still have the driver included. I kept a good screwdriver style T25 on my bike. At home I used a long driver in my power screwdriver.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #40 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Anyone I offended, stop with the sandy vagina routine (having an irritated
Hey now thats funny, when I first read this, this morning
I thought to myself here's another whiner with sand in his mangina.

Just by saying that you might think I'm offended or trying to offend you,
not really I've heard it all so many times before it's almost repetitious.

Someone who's never owned a BMW before and doesn't quite understand
why they did the things they did to this bike this way or that way so.....
there must be something wrong with the bike!

To you my friend I say give it some time,
you'll learn to accept the idiosyncrasies of this bike
and maybe even understand some of them.

I'm willing to bet that by the time you've worn out your first tire,
you'll love this bike.

Or I could just say:

It's a German thing,
if I have to explain,
you wouldn't understand.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #41 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 7:30 pm

Jack,

I am sorry to hear that the LT has fallen a bit short for you. I applaud your honesty and right to the point opinion. I hope that you continue with the LT, I am sure that you will come to love it.

As for me, I think it is the best bike I have ever ridden. It handles like a dream, gets great fuel mileage and has every bell and whistle you could ever want and then they threw in a few more. And to top it all off my wife likes it too.

Just My .02
TOM G.
post #42 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 7:39 pm

Nautically speaking: Ships are referred to as "she" because it costs so much to keep them in paint and powder.

Motos are no different.

Great comparison below from Vance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t61vance
I probably should keep my nose (and my metaphors) out of this, but.......
I don't want to sound like some misogynist or a sexist or anything....but motorcycles really ARE like women. They all have something within them that will drive you wild.......and they all have something in them that will infuriate you.......and to what degree this affects you varies from man to man.
Like women......some motorcycles have traits and attributes that you would kill for.....and some have attributes that make you want to just friggin' scream.........and almost always they reside in the same motorcycle (and woman) at the same time.
I don't think that there is anyone who hasn't been ticked off at their motorcycle....or their Significant Other...at one time or another. Usually...there is something there that will bring us back and make the relationship stronger. If not, then we move on.
But for goodness sake, we get to do a MUCH more thorough check out of our bikes than our women. There are sites (like this one) where a bikes faults....and charms...are exposed. Saying that you bought a motorcycle 'blind' doesn't work anymore. It's kind of like saying that you are breaking up with Kate Hudson because she is flat...I mean....you KNEW that going in!
So if you have decided that you don't like your LT after all.....get rid of it ASAP and get something that 'fits' your criteria.....something that you can build a good relationship with!
Life is too short to ride a motorcycle that you are disillusioned with.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #43 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:44 pm

'09 LT here, first bmw and yeah it's quirky but they all have them. Why did they do it this way kinda thing. However I will say that it is a very fun bike to ride.....the advice and tips on how to do things easy are right here on this forum. I do the maintenance myself, don't like to, but I'm too cheap to pay someone else. Did the 12k thing, replaced a few 'buckets', getting the beemer boneyard funnel and dvd to do the brake flush myself also. The wife loves to ride now too! As soon as I pay for the new wedding rings (18 yrs) I'm goona get the no-mar tire changer also....that is how much time I spend with Elke (the bike not the wife) :-)....ride her for a while and you'll keep a stall just for her....gotta get that radar detector too

2009 LT
1998 ACE T
Politics determine how we live here - religion the hereafter, let's talk
post #44 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
A little different perspective here. Every morning at around 6:30 am I go my garage and get on a motorcycle. At 6:35 my day is made. I am riding on an extension of myself (my Katra for you StarTrek fans) and by the time I get to work a half hour later, I am already way ahead of the corporate rat race game. It is difference between riding on and riding with the bike.

Most people I work with know I ride the LT (and I have never volunteered that) and at the end of the day, I know that I am going to have a Zen moment of some king going home...if if the traffic is bad.

BTW the other half of my garage has a roundel with four wheels on it. While I love that incarnation of Bavarian engineering, it has already had three warranty issues at just over 3000 miles. The two wheeled version...nada.
I have a similar experience. Every Tuesday and Friday I get to ride about 20 miles and then dive in the local shark tank. Both are awesome experiences and I look forward to both. My wife thinks I dive as an excuse to ride the bike....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #45 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi,

Torx... enough said.

I'm curious; what was your previous perfect bike and why did you get rid of it to buy something so obviously inferior as the LT?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #46 of 68 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 9:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

First, I'm hardly a troll or a provocateur... I don't know who's who here, nor what you guys (mostly) are made of (who are the whiners and who are the winners).

. . . .snip . . .

Peace.
As others have said before . . . welcome to the asylum.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #47 of 68 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:41 am Thread Starter

My previous bike, for those who asked, was a 1993 Suzuki GSX1100G.

It was a one of a kind in that you didn't see many, (hardly any) with the factory fairing (older vetter style look), or the other accessories, and no other which had a really kick-a$$ stereo with XM, 10-disc CD and a better sound than most home stereos (200 watt peak/25x4 rms with excellent bass). I took a hole saw to the front fairing pockets and interior GIVI side luggage and put Kickers in each, along with making the antenna discrete. Pair that with the luggage that you could carry into your hotel like suitcases and which each holding 2 full helmets with ease, and you were riding forever. And as for the windshield, it probably had the drag coefficienct of using a piece of plywood as fairing, but man if you couldn't smoke a cigar while doing 90 and you could (and everyone else) could hear that stereo loud and clear for several blocks coming.

I advanced the ignition 3 degrees and turned out the fuel mixture screws 3/4 turn and eliminated a flat spot that was known on this bike at around 4,200 rpms. Progressive springs up front also made it for quite the bike to drive through the twisties. We use to fly through the Dragon and the back roads of Vermont and Route 100 like it was a highway.

This bike was the best bike every produced by Suzuki, which then turned into the Bandit. The problem is, they eliminated the shaft drive which made this bike so superior. The engine itself was a detuned Katana with lowered cams, but you should have seen the faces of so many kids who thought they were going to take me off the line. The acceleration on this thing was amazing, hitting 130 in no time and without any lag as found on fuel injected bikes. I even had several guys who owned Goldwings and other rides try it and they could not believe how the bike was so balanced and easier to take off like a rocket as soon as you hit the throttle.

So why did I get rid of it? It was my first bike and I was really itching to get something bigger, like a Goldwing. The BMW was really just something that came up on the internet and in sitting on it, it had the same seating position and center of gravity that felt like this previous bike. Mind you, I owned this thing for almost 13 years, so it was time for a change.

In fact, the Barber Museum had wanted the bike but I had a change of heart and wound up giving it to a guy who was truly deserving of it from the club we had for this particular bike. He is an excellent rider and mechanic and unfortunately was taken out by a woman who didn't signal left and made a last minute decision to turn in front of him while he was on the way home from a rally 2 years back. You should have heard his voice when I had to tell him several times that all he had to do was come and get it. I simply couldn't bear the thought of actually selling her.

So there is my honest answer as to why and to any smart ass replies, Suzuki dropped the ball and hasn't made another since then. The engine was bullet proof and only needed to have the oil changed, shaft too. The oil cooled radiator worked great and it never had excessive heat pouring off of it, nor the need for a fan to cool it. Outside of pulling the choke on cold days, the bike always started right up and was ready to go within a half a minute or so. Oh, and the seat? The cushioning was good, but the design, bland and impractical. I had it redone by Sargeant seats when they first came on the scene and had it redone for a mere $95! I even wound up using the lower engine guard holes and putting front folding floorboards which the other guys in the group wound up copying... nice ones too from J.C. Whitney for a mere $35!

The best part, and the pics don't do it justice, was that I got stopped more and commented on by people at red lights, men, women and kids alike. They would always ask two questions, "Wow, what is that?" and "What year is it?" never believing it was a 93.

I hope this answers some questions?

Last edited by JackConner; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 1:17 am.
post #48 of 68 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 7:23 am

Quote:
My previous bike, for those who asked, was a 1993 Suzuki GSX1100G.

It was a one of a kind in that you didn't see many, (hardly any) with the factory fairing (older vetter style look), or the other accessories, and no other which had a really kick-a$$ stereo with XM, 10-disc CD and a better sound than most home stereos (200 watt peak/25x4 rms with excellent bass). I took a hole saw to the front fairing pockets and interior GIVI side luggage and put Kickers in each, along with making the antenna discrete. Pair that with the luggage that you could carry into your hotel like suitcases and which each holding 2 full helmets with ease, and you were riding forever. And as for the windshield, it probably had the drag coefficienct of using a piece of plywood as fairing, but man if you couldn't smoke a cigar while doing 90 and you could (and everyone else) could hear that stereo loud and clear for several blocks coming.

I advanced the ignition 3 degrees and turned out the fuel mixture screws 3/4 turn and eliminated a flat spot that was known on this bike at around 4,200 rpms. Progressive springs up front also made it for quite the bike to drive through the twisties. We use to fly through the Dragon and the back roads of Vermont and Route 100 like it was a highway.

This bike was the best bike every produced by Suzuki, which then turned into the Bandit. The problem is, they eliminated the shaft drive which made this bike so superior. The engine itself was a detuned Katana with lowered cams, but you should have seen the faces of so many kids who thought they were going to take me off the line. The acceleration on this thing was amazing, hitting 130 in no time and without any lag as found on fuel injected bikes. I even had several guys who owned Goldwings and other rides try it and they could not believe how the bike was so balanced and easier to take off like a rocket as soon as you hit the throttle.

So why did I get rid of it? It was my first bike and I was really itching to get something bigger, like a Goldwing. The BMW was really just something that came up on the internet and in sitting on it, it had the same seating position and center of gravity that felt like this previous bike. Mind you, I owned this thing for almost 13 years, so it was time for a change.

In fact, the Barber Museum had wanted the bike but I had a change of heart and wound up giving it to a guy who was truly deserving of it from the club we had for this particular bike. He is an excellent rider and mechanic and unfortunately was taken out by a woman who didn't signal left and made a last minute decision to turn in front of him while he was on the way home from a rally 2 years back. You should have heard his voice when I had to tell him several times that all he had to do was come and get it. I simply couldn't bear the thought of actually selling her.

So there is my honest answer as to why and to any smart ass replies, Suzuki dropped the ball and hasn't made another since then. The engine was bullet proof and only needed to have the oil changed, shaft too. The oil cooled radiator worked great and it never had excessive heat pouring off of it, nor the need for a fan to cool it. Outside of pulling the choke on cold days, the bike always started right up and was ready to go within a half a minute or so. Oh, and the seat? The cushioning was good, but the design, bland and impractical. I had it redone by Sargeant seats when they first came on the scene and had it redone for a mere $95! I even wound up using the lower engine guard holes and putting front folding floorboards which the other guys in the group wound up copying... nice ones too from J.C. Whitney for a mere $35!

The best part, and the pics don't do it justice, was that I got stopped more and commented on by people at red lights, men, women and kids alike. They would always ask two questions, "Wow, what is that?" and "What year is it?" never believing it was a 93.

I hope this answers some questions?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #49 of 68 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Yet you still went through the trouble of quoting me...

As my wife says, "I drive a B...M...Wow, I'm on a BMW!"
post #50 of 68 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:55 am

Jack, I do sympathize with you over your disappointments, but nothing you've found wrong with the LT can't be fixed. I have three bikes, and FZ1, a HD Deuce and the 02 LT. I like each for specific reasons, and dislike each for other reasons. Maybe that's why I have 3? I've had to put seats on all three because each factory seat sucked. Had to put suspension on the HD and the LT because factory just wasn't up to what I wanted. Just the way bikes are.

One of my riding buddies had the Bandit, and he pushed it hard until he totalled it. But no matter how hard he pushed, he could not out run my LT in the curves. Kicked my butt on the top end, but I don't find much enjoyment in just going fast, straight. He's on a C14 now, and it's the same story. He can't get away from the LT in the curves. Two other riding buddies are on FJR's, and neither can stay with the LT.

I've just gone through a major repair: clutch, slave valve, seals, and a final drive, and still I'm not discouraged AT ALL. Often wondered how I'd feel after suffering these failures, but, like I said, I'm still happy as a clam at high tide. Well, actually, as happy as a pig in chit.
I've dropped mine, had very minor problems parking, have to think about where I'm going to turn around etc., but still just as happy. And especially when the wife and I are doubled up and off on vacation. It's just a wonderful motorcycle with some limitations and some quirks, just like my other two bikes.

I really hope you learn to love it like most of us here. If not, you may as well just unload it now and find something more gooder.

Frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in