20K service cause of reverser failure? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 30th, 2010, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Unhappy 20K service cause of reverser failure?

So, I take my bike down to Blackfoot motorcycle and have them complete a 20K service. On the way home I stop for fuel and realize my reverse isn't working. Next day back into Blackfoot to get checked out only to be told that their moditech showed that the "control unit - backup" was the problem and it would cost me nearly $1400 for the part plus labor (YIKES) to get it fixed. I know reverse worked when I dropped it off with them for the service because I used it in their parking lot. Anybody have any thoughts on what might have happened during the service to cause the failure?. Light comes on but nothing else. Also, any words of wisdom on where I might get a deal on a "control unit - backup". Would really appreciate any advice .
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 30th, 2010, 5:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 20K service cause of reverser failure?

There is nothing that I know of that even touches the reverser during a standard service. Looks like you won the failure lottery. The controllers have been known to just "fail" for no good reason. But I would look at the rear of the battery for a tie point with large black wires with yellow stripes for one that may be missing. But if the rpm does not go up when you press the button I would suspect the controller.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old May 30th, 2010, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John, I'll check the wiring near the battery. I guess I was kind of hoping there might some other reverser wiring that might have been affected when the tupperware came off for the valve adjustment etc. Looks like I might have to bite the bullet for a new controller.

post #4 of 7 Old May 30th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Wink Re: 20K service cause of reverser failure?

+1 on the wire connections. While my symptom was a little different, reverse would only work for a few feet, and then needed to have a new press of switch and do a few more feet. As I was on a long trip and everything else was working I said I would take it yo MAX in New York when I got home.

Short of it is, they found loose connection wire, inserted same and have not had a reverse problem in last 20 K miles. They said wire connection was on the under side of bike.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 7 Old May 30th, 2010, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is simply a wiring issue but, preparing for the worst..
post #6 of 7 Old May 31st, 2010, 9:35 am

Before letting Blackfoot do the work I would take it to AnderWerks and have them check the bike. I find the service much better than Blackfoot and Dave is extremely knowledgable regarding the K bikes.

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old May 31st, 2010, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks Ken, I know Dave and talked with him on Friday. He used to do the work on an 80/7 that I had. I would have taken my LT to Dave in the first place but I had to have some warranty work done. My Voice Com failed and even though my bike is technically out of warranty, BMW picked up the cost of the VC (it was an intermittent problem since new) but I had to pay labour and it only made sense to do it at the same time as the 20K service. Now that warranty is over Dave will be the guy.

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in