How do you mount the Chicane tank bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By S2DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Angry How do you mount the Chicane tank bag

I've been looking at the Chicane tank bag for the K1200LT. The front of the bag has two velco tabs for mounting. The rear of the bag also has a velco tab that appears it could be used for mounting or either securing the strap holder compartment. As there are no mounting directions with the bag could someone explain exactly where to place the long piece of velco the comes inside the bag and explain if the back tab, which is a long piece of velco, is used only to secure the strap holder compartment or is it used in some way to mount the bag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 6:15 pm

If you have the LT specific Chicane bag there should be a loop in the posterior part(under the handle) of the bag near the bottom and two velcro tabs on the sides near the front. Now open the oddments box. On the lid there is a tab with a pin that inserts into the lock. Turn the tank bag upsidedown with the loop toward the front of the bike. Put the loop around the tab and push it tight up against the lid. Now fold the tank bag over the oddment box lid so that it is upright using the loop/tab as the pivot point. The two velcro tabs should now be able to wrap under the oddments box lid toward where the hinge is. The opposing velcro strip should be applied to the inside of the oddment box lid so that these two tabs can attached to it. If your loop is properly placed and the velcro is attached you should be able to close the box lid. You might have to partially close the lid and push it firmly to make it close. I hope this is clear.
If you do not have the LT specific Chicane bag or the bag has changed ignore everything I've said. Good luck.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #3 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 6:33 pm

I had a hard time with the loop and how tight it was on the bag because it really is hard to close the oddments compartment. My solution was to remove the latch and put the loop behind it. The lid will now close quite easily and I am not concerned about removing it easily. I leave it on the bike because it is so handy.
r75 likes this.

post #4 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 7:04 pm

Be carefull on putting too much stress on the rear loop. Several of us have ripped our loops out. Randy at Chicane has replaced them prompty, but it is still a pain to have to exchange them. What I found was the bottom compartment that holds the carry strap uses Velcro for closure and if that is not closed just right can make the bottom edge bulge and not make it easy close.
post #5 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 7:10 pm

Thumbs up

Perhaps some pics will help...

post #6 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 8:04 pm

Those Pics helped me...I bought my LT used, and i noticed velcro under the cover, right where it should be for a Chicane Bag... I was wondering what the previous owner had attached there.

More reason to order one, anyone know if they have some now, or know of a place to order a LT specific chicane Bag

Don
2001 K1200LT "Blue Bomber"
Vancouver Island, BC
post #7 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 9:11 pm

Garage
Getting a Chicane Tank Bag

I got mine on the classified sections on this site. I got mine from a former LT owner for approx 75 bucks. Great deal! Dabubba was selling one for $77. Click here :

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=307139

I find mine to be extremly handy for holding my golves, keys, sunglasses and directions. I get lots of looks and questions. I highly recommend getting one.
post #8 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 9:20 pm

Glad the pics helped.

As for a used one, DABubba is selling one HERE.

Otherwise, you can buy a new one from Chicane by calling Randy at 303.877.0854

HTH
post #9 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Yea...no matter what others might say. I'm good for something!
post #10 of 29 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the informative replies. The pictures were especially helpful. The bag is now mounted.
post #11 of 29 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 5:25 am

Here's another Chicane question - a while back someone wrote that Chicane was introducing a "mark 2" version of the LT bag. I think one of the changes was a larger map pocket. Anyone know if it was ever released?

Bob Brown
05 Gold
post #12 of 29 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 6:57 am

Joe you are good for plenty of things we just haven't figured what to do with them yet.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:00 am

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Next time I send pictures instead.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #14 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 2:54 pm

Chicane bag mounting and lid closing pictures

I love that little Chicane tankbag, its very versatile and well designed.
I didn't really like the way it mounted and having to slam the lid closed to latch it, I removed the locking pin and elongated the mounting hole trying to move it down, that didn't work. The solution was actually very simple, with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments box. (pic 1) then hooked the strap up high around the back of the plastic thingy (pic 2) and now it latches by just letting it drop from the open position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0055.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0057.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	170  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I love that little Chicane tankbag, its very versatile and well designed.
I didn't really like the way it mounted and having to slam the lid closed to latch it, I removed the locking pin and elongated the mounting hole trying to move it down, that didn't work. The solution was actually very simple, with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments box. (pic 1) then hooked the strap up high around the back of the plastic thingy (pic 2) and now it latches by just letting it drop from the open position.
What is the part number for the chicane LT tank bag and also do you have a web side to look at pricing.

Stephane Vallee
K1200LT 2005
post #16 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 8:17 pm

That's really a nice idea. I'll give it a try as well. I think that they should make the strap a little longer.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #17 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:22 pm

Thumbs up Good tip!

Quote:
I, with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments box. (.
Great idea. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
post #18 of 29 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 9:52 pm

Quote:
...The solution was actually very simple, with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments box. (pic 1) then hooked the strap up high around the back of the plastic thingy (pic 2) and now it latches by just letting it drop from the open position.
Very nice!!! Bravo!
I'm headed out to the garage in a few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgstef
What is the part number for the chicane LT tank bag and also do you have a web side to look at pricing.
I don't believe there is a part number, per se, it's just called the "LT tankbag". You're dealing with a very small company here. We don't need no stinking part numbers! Their website is http://www.chicane-usa.com/ . But that won't do you much good as the LT tankbag isn't anywhere to be found. Best just to call them and leave a message. Or...call BMW of Vegas. Rumor has it they currently have them in stock.

HTH
post #19 of 29 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:08 am

How to get a Chicane bag

Uhhmm what he said.
They are a very small company on their way to becoming large and the 2 guys that run it spend a lot of their time promoting their product at rally's. (it's a tough job but someone has to do it)
Leave a message they will call you back ....eventually.
They will take care of you and they will keep their word.
It took me almost 3 months to get mine, had something to do with homeland security and customs, there was a container full in country but they couldn't get at them.
It was worth the wait.

BMW of Colorado Springs may have some in stock.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #20 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 1:48 am

Done deal

Elmer-- looks like yer covered ... as far as how to secure the bag. It's a little tricky, but once you get get the front and back adjusted, it works great. Had mine since MOA in Spokane and love it. Picked up a map holder at Lake Jackson CCR this year that secures over the bag and is nice too as it provides more "map space" than the provided bag does (the only downside). Of course, if you have a GPS, then it's not so critical. Enjoy!
post #21 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 8:23 am

I had to go all the way to Jackson Lake Lodge to have my LT Chicane bad mounted! Was worth it also!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #22 of 29 Old Oct 8th, 2005, 9:07 am
Prodigal Son

" --having to slam the lid closed to latch it,--"
"--with a rat tail file I notched the lid of the oddments

Had mine since Breckenridge (CCR '04) and never really had any problems like that.
Wonder if my "loop" or latch are different in some way?
I just make sure the flat part of the loop is slipped snugly up and around the latch and press closed.
BTW, my bag houses my RP-1 intercom, CB/FRS and related electronic equipment and comes on and off a few times a day.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #23 of 29 Old Dec 14th, 2005, 4:01 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Thumbs down BMW of Colorado Springs

Yes they do have stock, BUT!!!!!
Randy seems nice enough on the phone but will not handle International orders; PERIOD!! not even PayPal. Anyone live close by who could drop by and can handle PayPal ? Cheers, Hilton
post #24 of 29 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 8:18 pm

New Chicane Tank Bag Owner

An old thread with lots of info I needed, having just brought home Chicane's LT tank bag.

Joe's pictures did the trick for me, answering my questions. But... what is the strap for in the bottom of the bag? Is it intended to be used for carrying over your shoulder?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #25 of 29 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That's right Howard, but I think I'll cut mine out as I don't like the lump. I have found that if the latch is hard to close you can "lower" the lid pin by loosening the screw and move it ever so slightly _ makes a big difference in closing the lid.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #26 of 29 Old Jun 8th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
That's right Howard, but I think I'll cut mine out as I don't like the lump. I have found that if the latch is hard to close you can "lower" the lid pin by loosening the screw and move it ever so slightly _ makes a big difference in closing the lid.
Excellent. I'm just back from trying to install the bag. The small loop over the latch made closing the oddments box lid impossible without forcing it so I backed off. I'll give your suggestion a try.

I also may remove the shoulder strap for the reason you mention, as I don't see myself ever needing to carry this thing around. Anybody find the strap useful?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #27 of 29 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:35 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I also used a "rat tail" file to form two half moons on either side of the pin to allow the strap to fit flush. I know a photo would help but I didn't take one. It is obvious if you loop the strap around the pin and see where to remove material from the raised edge to make a relief for the strap.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #28 of 29 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:20 am

Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC (www.touringsportbmw.com) is now carrying Chicane products, including the LT tank bag. Whether they can ship internationally I don't know.

I have the BMW brand tank bag, which I only use on occasion. Were I purchasing a tank bag, I would definitely opt for the Chicane.

One of the nice features of the Chicane line is they are designed to hold a Camelback-type water bladder. There is a little port for the hose to pass through. Since the LT bag is rather small, though, that limits the size of bladder you could use.
post #29 of 29 Old Jun 9th, 2006, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I also used a "rat tail" file to form two half moons on either side of the pin to allow the strap to fit flush. I know a photo would help but I didn't take one...
Hans posted the pic you describe, on page 2 of this thread. Very helpful.

BMW Motorcycles of Columbus carries many of the Chicane products in stock at all times. They just got in a shipment of several LT tank bags this week. They now have 1 less than they did previously. Sam is the Parts Manager; couldn't ask for nicer people to deal with. 614-239-1269.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Jun 9th, 2006 at 12:47 pm. Reason: added details

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in