I know...I know.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I know...I know....

This should be in the classified section, but technicaly it should'nt...

O.k.- I've been around long enough that this is no shill. while perusing C/L in Sacramento, I came across an ad for a "parting out an LT" this kid (still living at home) got ahold of an 01 teal green LT, that had front end (down tube) damage. He said that "everything" worked at one point, but the alarm kept it from starting. Proof that those that do not know what they are doing, shouldn't he began to take the bike apart. It is all over his parents garage. I mean its down to the frame, nothin left inside the nose cone....bare. All the parts are there (minus what I bought) in various stages of useability. Not one to let a good bargin go by, I picked up the front and rear rimes with allot of the meat left on Metz, for $300 today. If you are looking for something let me know, I'll get you the information and if need be act as the intermediary...

Aft of the driver pillion seat tupperware is trashed mostly

Personally I am waiting for his parents to get pissed about all the parts laying around and see what deal I can get on the whole shibang!!!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 27th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Talking Re: I know...I know....

Make him an offer Hoss! You won't regret having the parts around as long as you have somewhere to store them. Plus there will be plenty of customers looking for these parts in the future.

From one who took the plunge years ago and does not regret it one bit,
John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old May 27th, 2010, 11:50 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Hijacking Thread....

Hi Hoss,

It was nice to meet you at the Yosemite rally... glad you made it home safe.

Jeff

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #4 of 14 Old May 28th, 2010, 1:32 am Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Hijacking Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
Hi Hoss,

It was nice to meet you at the Yosemite rally... glad you made it home safe.

Jeff
Better meeting you...Still waiting to meet those ladies in the other post though! and I made it home safe and sound with my 11 yo daughter grinning ear to ear. even after riding in the rain for 2 hours!!!! Not a complaint the whole weekend!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; May 28th, 2010 at 3:01 am.
post #5 of 14 Old May 28th, 2010, 1:50 am Thread Starter

Garage
Re: I know...I know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Make him an offer Hoss! You won't regret having the parts around as long as you have somewhere to store them. Plus there will be plenty of customers looking for these parts in the future.

From one who took the plunge years ago and does not regret it one bit,
John
I'm setting him up to "gift" it to me....

That said, I am not looking to take from the kid but I think I may come out ahead in this deal anyhow. Add that I should be able to help some of us out and get him some pocket money. He stated that he at one point could turn the key on and everything worked, radio lights, etc. but due to no alarm fob, could not start it, add that the dealer wanted $5 bills just to look at it he gave up “the dream” did I mention this was a 20 something year old kid on an LT? Anyone else think that is odd?

I've gotten 5 PM's already so from memory...
· '01 teal green LT, w/ 30K on the odometer.
· Front-end damage (broken front tree) only sign of damage besides a few scratched on the Tupperware. I did not inspect everything because as I said it was in 10,000,000 pcs, all over the garage.
· Lower Tupperware and upper are new(er) purchased after the bike was smashed up, Looks fine.
· Stingray is intact, a little overspray from something that evidently comes off because the kid buffed out the oddment cover.
· No comsystem, but still has the tape player and CD.
· RDU looked in good shape
· Bar covers looked complete and damage free
· Speedo/tach cluster good
· Front speaker surround (black plastic) broken
· Front speakers still in pods, I assume they are good
· Bars are off the bike; I think he said he sold the start button, not sure about the grips.
· Did not see the dash, but saw the wind wings and front turn signals
· Did not see a front fender
· Rims and tires sold to ME!!!!
· Steering dampener still on bike
· OEM manual center/side stand.
· Engine
· Gear box
· Final Drive
· Brake calipers front & back
· Stock windscreen w/ chrome covers
· Windscreen adjuster
· Bags are pretty torn up paint wise (one of them I’d think)
· Top case has a rip in one of the speaker covers
· OEM top case brake light
· Stock seats

I think I covered everything!

As for the set up when I was at the house today, Mom came out hovering around listening to us talk, After warming up she and I were talking and it seems that Josh "the kid" told his parents that he was going to use the garage for a weekend to fix the bike. Well its been 2 months now and mom is pissed (laundry room is in the garage) 9 kids in the house. I just purchased the rims and tires. Now they can't move the darn thing. Put a bug in his ear already....Waiting patiently I am....

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; May 28th, 2010 at 3:04 am.
post #6 of 14 Old May 28th, 2010, 8:12 am

Hoss, all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth.......And a spare engine, gear box, final drive, drive shaft, swing arm, exhaust system, instrument cluster....

That would be enough!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 14 Old May 28th, 2010, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Hoss, all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth.......And a spare engine, gear box, final drive, drive shaft, swing arm, exhaust system, instrument cluster....

That would be enough!
Loren, you know that Santa has you on the perminate "bad" list!!! That said, while I am a complete ass (sarcastic) at times. please do not PM me to ask this kid to take pennies for parts! We all like a good deal but $100 for a FD? Really?

That said the kid if off doing what kids do (just called him) for the holiday. As the response is more than I had thought. I will get with the kid to get prices and post them along with an inventory either Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; May 28th, 2010 at 2:24 pm.
post #8 of 14 Old May 29th, 2010, 10:43 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I really don't see what is bad about offering him 100 for a unknown FD?

I mean it seems OK you got two rims and two about new tires for 300.00? They are worth way more than a new final drive?

It seams you are looking to take the stuff off his hands for the lowest price you can get it?

It would then be fair to assume you would then sell it for market price?

Perhaps just post the CL add and let people from the forum deal with him direct?

Really not insulting you but seems like you kinda got in the middle of things now being a go between and you are not comfortable offering prices from others?

I mean nice heads up on parts but you seem conflicted when it comes to your offering price, and others?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 14 Old May 29th, 2010, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Yes and no all in the same response. While I did not intend to be the middle man in all of this, yet I offered on the first post. I would not want to "take" the kid for pennies on the dollar. Yes, I was able to finagle a good price for the parts I took, because he "really needed some cash for this weekend. That said, I have never priced most of these parts but in my meandering around the site, I have NEVER seen a FD go for anywhere close to that price (tested or not) I believe it is more of the norm to get a spare, rebuild it and save. $100 seems to me as stealing. Stealing is not a bad thing mind you, which is why I wanted to let the collective know about the find. I'd think that he would be agreeable to most anything, seeing his research on parts is simply checking e-bay.
I do plan to get out of the middle as soon as I get a parts list, I'll leave the rest up to him. But will offer my personal negotiation tactics to those whom I have knowledge of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I really don't see what is bad about offering him 100 for a unknown FD? I mean it seems OK you got two rims and two about new tires for 300.00? They are worth way more than a new final drive? It seams you are looking to take the stuff off his hands for the lowest price you can get it? It would then be fair to assume you would then sell it for market price? Perhaps just post the CL add and let people from the forum deal with him direct? Really not insulting you but seems like you kinda got in the middle of things now being a go between and you are not comfortable offering prices from others? I mean nice heads up on parts but you seem conflicted when it comes to your offering price, and others?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #10 of 14 Old May 29th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Ok............for Christmas I'd settle for the little roundel on the top of the console...........
post #11 of 14 Old May 29th, 2010, 7:08 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Yes and no all in the same response. While I did not intend to be the middle man in all of this, yet I offered on the first post. I would not want to "take" the kid for pennies on the dollar. Yes, I was able to finagle a good price for the parts I took, because he "really needed some cash for this weekend. That said, I have never priced most of these parts but in my meandering around the site, I have NEVER seen a FD go for anywhere close to that price (tested or not) I believe it is more of the norm to get a spare, rebuild it and save. $100 seems to me as stealing. Stealing is not a bad thing mind you, which is why I wanted to let the collective know about the find. I'd think that he would be agreeable to most anything, seeing his research on parts is simply checking e-bay.
I do plan to get out of the middle as soon as I get a parts list, I'll leave the rest up to him. But will offer my personal negotiation tactics to those whom I have knowledge of
Gotcha and thank you for not taking offense.

Sounds to me like now that some parts have moved, his mother is going to light a fire. I think she wants her garage back

I did luck out and get a 7 mile new FD for 400.00 but that was 2 or 3 years ago from a trike manufacturer off e-bay. I think LT trikes are far and few between in this economy. I guess my point is until it is shipped and hopefully to someone willing to R&R it, the cost of the seal and bearing, shim, then postage back, that 100 drive grew to the 450-500 range in a hurry. Me I would never buy a run in, used drive and expect to keep it as a spare, no history, no faith.

Of course in bum Egypt I would put any final drive on to limp out

Anyway thank you again for your gracious response.

I will be honest though if I was close, I would have owned those wheels to get powder coated then sold mine off the bike. And anything I thought I needed, I would be offering pennies on the dollar.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 14 Old May 29th, 2010, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
Ok............for Christmas I'd settle for the little roundel on the top of the console...........
Raffy has those bub!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #13 of 14 Old May 29th, 2010, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I will be honest though if I was close, I would have owned those wheels to get powder coated then sold mine off the bike. And anything I thought I needed, I would be offering pennies on the dollar.
If you knew me, Gratious is not in my vocabulary. Sarcastic, yes. But not gratious. No offence, we all try to look out for the other in here, probly why we all pay for the membership when we can get it free... And on that note, I have a guy local that does not charge to R&R tires, he gets the wheels after I've powder coated the new ones, see I'm a nice guy. And I am waiting for Mom to get pissed as we speak!

Dumb, not stupid!

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
New (old) parts in the barn!!!!

Well, I ended getting "that" call the other day. The kid called and told me his parents wanted the bike GONE! His asking price was pretty good, so a few of my local group all got in on it and I picked it up today. Well everything except the frame, GB, FD, drive line and engine... (thats tomarrow!)

I will post up a written list, but in the interm here are some pictures of the newly aquired parts... for sale (some) of coarse...Anyone need anything let me know...

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/t...swell/LTPARTS/

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in