What to look for trouble wise on a used LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

What to look for trouble wise on a used LT?

I spent some time searching and could not find anyting that gives an overview on what to look for on a used LT.

I am taking a trial this weekend of a 2000 K1200LT with 50K miles on it.

The previous owner has had the bike for a year and said he changed the fluids at 49K miles.

Is there a recommended list of things to check out on the bike outside of a good shake down cruise?

I heard that some of the r1200 bikes have a tank liner that peals and destroys the fuel pump. From what I can tell the K1200LT has a plastic tank.

We are going to check the oil for shavings, look a the final drive fluid, check the air filter.

What else should I look over?

Thanks in advance, everyone has been so nice so far.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Re: What to look for trouble wise on a used LT?

Might have trouble checking the air filter, you have to remove some tupperware and the gas tank. You should put the bike on the center stand and grab the rear tire and check for any play. This will let you know if the Final Drive is good or not for that moment in time. Otherwise, just check for normal signs of leaks and how it feels on a test ride.

Good luck.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #3 of 12 Old May 26th, 2010, 10:48 pm
Gold Supporter

Might ask the PO to walk you through the radio controls/trip computer/cruise control functions to ensure they work. Mine was missing the manual, so I took it on faith that everything worked right.

Otherwise, agree with RiderRay, difficult to check much without pulling tupperware.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun

post #4 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 7:20 am Thread Starter

thanks for the response.
post #5 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 7:58 am

Hi Paul,
I'm partial to the early KLTs, mine is a 2000 with about 75K miles on it. No significant problems.
If you've been reading here you'll know about clutch slave leaks, carbon cannister plug-ups, final drive failures.

Has the cannister been removed from the bike? If not be careful not to over fill the gas tank. A canister-ectomy has been done by many of us; it may well have already been done to yours.

As far as clutch slave leaks, look for any signs of oil drips under the bike. You also might try rolling the throttle on kinda hard in 5th gear to make sure the clutch isn't slipping. That's how folks have reported first discovering the slipping clutch.

As far as detecting wobble at the rear wheel, that continues to be bantered about as an indictor for final drive status. It is not; we have never heard of a rear wheel that wobbled secondary to final drive problems that wasn't already leaking oil from the final drive. Checking the wheels for any play is a good idea, and play at the rear wheel will detect loose pivot bearings. The best you can do to check the final drive is look at the drain plug magnet for any shiney metal particles. Some amount of very fine grey metal mud on the magnet is okay, larger shiney particles are not. Also, you can check for roughness during wheel rotation with the bike on the centerstand and the brake pads pushed away from the rotor. Any roughness is a bad sign. Shiney metal on the drain and wheel rotation roughness are indications that the final drive is failing. The only other way, and best way, is to open and inspect the drive. Most of 'em are just fine.

Service history is a good indicator of things. Short of doing a BMW "Inspection" as defined in the service manual, which will get you to the air filter among other things, the best you can do is just check for obvious things and handling on the road.

The K-bike motors are pretty bullet proof so unless there are signs of excess oil consumption or bad gas mileage doing compression and leakdown tests probably isn't necessary. Rear main seals, clutch slaves, and final drives seem to be the most common Achilles' Heels; that and cannister induced gas tank collapse.
HTH
Good bikes, have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
I spent some time searching and could not find anyting that gives an overview on what to look for on a used LT.

I am taking a trial this weekend of a 2000 K1200LT with 50K miles on it.

The previous owner has had the bike for a year and said he changed the fluids at 49K miles.

Is there a recommended list of things to check out on the bike outside of a good shake down cruise?

I heard that some of the r1200 bikes have a tank liner that peals and destroys the fuel pump. From what I can tell the K1200LT has a plastic tank.

We are going to check the oil for shavings, look a the final drive fluid, check the air filter.

What else should I look over?

Thanks in advance, everyone has been so nice so far.

Paul

Last edited by CharlieVT; May 27th, 2010 at 8:58 am.
post #6 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 8:24 am
cwo

Howdy
Kinda off the subject, but don't hit the front brake while backing up, because it will tip very easily.

Have fun.

Chris Ogle
post #7 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

WOW..

TAHNKS again for the responses.

I am happy to be part of the BMW family again and look forward to riding my LT for many happy years..
post #8 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

After reading some recent posts on this site, one could say the the disgruntled previous owner was worst thing to look out for...

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Upon starting the bike, and if my feeble memory serves me correctly, the ABS lights on the instrument cluster will be illuminated; this condition is normal and should disappear after the bike has been moving forward for 20-30 feet. If the lights continue to display while you are riding the bike, there may be a problem with the ABS braking unit. Turn off the ignition, wait a minute or two, turn the ignition key to the position that illuminates the headlight and instrument cluster (do not turn the key to its farthest clockwise position), fully twist and release the throttle 3 times in quick succession (this procedure will often reset a properly functioning ABS and eliminate the fault causing the illuminated ABS lights). Next, wait 10-15 seconds, start the bike, and begin to ride the bike. Within 20-30 feet after starting forward motion, the ABS lights should stop displaying.

Initially, if the ABS lights are flashing in unison or alternately, this condition is more serious and could signal a faulty ABS unit; new replacement units run close to $1800. The "throttle reset" procedure is of no use with this situation.

Constantly illuminated ABS lights merely give a warning of a potential failure of the ABS unit, it does not signal a failure of the braking system. You will still have "normal" braking capabilities (similar to a bike not equipped with ABS), but you will not have anti-locking braking capabilities.
post #10 of 12 Old May 27th, 2010, 11:01 pm

The 2000 doesn't have the servo brakes and to me that's not a bad thing. And they're not linked and to me that's a good thing. But you will get the ABS lights flashing at start up. They will continue to flash until the bike reaches roughly 3 mph. You may feel the ABS pulse once if your hand is on the brake lever. After this speed, the lights should go out. If they start flashing together it's a low voltage fault from a weak battery. If you ride the bike a couple of miles and shut it off and restart it, the lights will normally go out after you start riding again.

It will be nearly impossible to check for chunks in the engine oil too because there's no dipstick and the only way to get oil out of the sump would be to loosen the drain plug or filter cover. You can look into the sight glass and get a small glimpse of the oil condition. It shouldn't be black or look like tar.

Check the steering damper and make sure there isn't oil leaking out of the front or rear. Unless you rebuild your own, they're kinda pricey. The way to check it is to have the front wheel off the ground while on the center stand. Move the handlebars back and forth slowly. You shouldn't feel too much resistance. Then move the handlbars rapidly and you should feel the damper start to resist you.

Lastly, don't forget that the K bikes are prone to smoke after they've been sitting for a while. They can smoke like freight trains for a couple of miles too. It can be embarrassing at times. This is especially true if the bike has been sitting on the side stand for a while. As long as the smoke goes away in a little while you should be fine.

Like one of the guys told you before, check out the cruise, radio and other amenities to make sure they're working. I bought my 00 with 48K on the clock and it now has 84. The only thing I've had to do is replace the steering damper, one ball on the shift linkage and do a cannisterectomy. Been a great ride so far and I don't see any reason to get rid if it any time soon.

Good luck with your test ride and hopefully your new LT. Be sure to let us see it when you get it home.
post #11 of 12 Old May 28th, 2010, 3:02 am

One issue I always seem to have is with the temperature gauge and fans coming on.

This MUST be working correctly or it will cost you a bit to get fixed. Start the bike, let it idle and wait for the fans to come on. You should see the temperature rise on the display.

Mine went out and the fans never come on... which is only necessary in stop and go traffic on really hot days. But summer is coming and you will need this.
post #12 of 12 Old May 28th, 2010, 12:51 pm

If it has been sitting on the side stand for any amount of time , it will probably blow smoke out the exhaust when started.(I am told this is perfectly normal and not a sign of engine wear)
This is what finally made me learn how to get the bike up on the center stand.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in